Roadie or Hybrid

gb155
gb155 Posts: 2,048
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
No, not your normal one this

Just check outside and there is a good 7cm of snow, my car couldnt get up the hill I live on after going out this afternoon and we witnessed a WVM smash into a bollard after driving like a n00b (If it wasnt for the fact he almost hit us it would have been funny)

So tomorrows snow filled commute, Ribble on 23's (armadillos) or Ridgeback on 37's ?? (Top contact tyres)
On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    If Manchester is in the same state tomorrow as it was this morning, I'd say riding any bike without studded tyres to be foolish.

What are the conditions like now?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    public transport?

Park the car at the bottom of the hill and use it from there?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I'd recommend the hybrid. I always feel I am more likely to catch a back end slide with the flat bar bike. And I'm less worried about damaging it in a crash (inexpensive and comparitively well-protected shifters and brake levers compared to STIs).

Run your tyres at a lower pressure than normal (be aware that the low temperatures will slightly depress tyre pressures anyway). And don't use the front brake. Rear brake only.

I found my biggest problem back in February was the cassette clogging up with snow and eventually derailling the chain altogether (no drive). However, I don't live in a big city like you, so I didn't have to deal with cars and lorries at the time - you may wish to consider the consequences of binning it in front of an out-of-control van or something.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • hybrid but if it's icy I'd take care though one can pass over ice does means very slow progress.
  • in Oldham and bottled it for tomorrow already on todays showing. I've had a little test spin on my hybrid with soft 35's, Scary. fast falling unpredictable and slippy snow and even on the decent roads no proper gritting and lethal driving.

I only lost 1 day last winter and binned it once on slippy roads but this snow seems less friendly to ride on and it keeps coming in little flurries making for more and more packed ice underneath
  • gb155
    Its pretty icy out, so decided to take the hybrid, can hear car spinning out on the hill now so it should be good fun :)

• It was a clear, dry(ish) day yesterday, but I still managed to drop it twice on patches of black ice, wrist hurts like hell, grazing on hip and bruised elbow, bike has a few more scratches.

Decided to take the car today!
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • gb155
    Frozen snow everywhere, was good fun on the Hybrid, almost lost it about 5 times, glad I didnt take the road bike tho, overall only took an extra 10 mins & should have some good helmet camera footage too. :D

• fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I found frozen/fresh snow not a particular issue with wide knobblie tyres. But ice is definitely to be taken very seriously.

I think the variability of snow conditions means different people will find different conditions and therefore it is hard to say whether it is safe or not.

I think it is important in this case to be prepared for the worst. Incidentally, I use the pavement instead if the road if its icy: if I fall, it won't be in front of a car unable to stop!
  • fnegroni wrote:
    I found frozen/fresh snow not a particular issue with wide knobblie tyres. But ice is definitely to be taken very seriously.

I think the variability of snow conditions means different people will find different conditions and therefore it is hard to say whether it is safe or not.

I think it is important in this case to be prepared for the worst. Incidentally, I use the pavement instead if the road if its icy: if I fall, it won't be in front of a car unable to stop!

Ice is almost always the issue, snow is fun but ice can be seriously scary.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Sheet ice around here after Saturday night rain froze - we now have snow on top of sheet ice - had a go yesterday and lost it twice within 50m so walked in today :(
  • gb155
    Yesterday on the Hybird wasnt so bad TBH, today doesnt look good tho, seems like there is ice everywhere, last day in for me tho so im dam sure im gonna enjoy it, even if I am on a hybrid again

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Careful if there's ice, Gaz.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."