Cav v Greipel at the Vuelta?

Tusher
Tusher Posts: 2,762
edited December 2009 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendi ... a-together

Fascinating stuff.

Anyone wiser than myself have views on this? Greipel is probably the second best sprinter in the world, I'm not entirely sure why he's still at Columbia.

Mark Renshaw must be chuffed to bits though- just imagine the Christmas/birthday/St Valentines/Easter presents he will be receiving from Herr Greipel and Mr Cavendish over the coming year.

Or else they could both just fight naked in a mud bath for the right to have Renshaw as their lead-out man. Would save Columbia's management from having to make the decision.

And then Renshaw will win the worlds on his home turf.

Comments

• I'll vote for the mud bath fighting..! Easiest way I think..
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Clearly Cavendish is going to have Greipel working for him, assuming normal conditions. Greipel's career so far has been as a lead out rider, he used to be Ciolek's lead out.

As we saw in the Vuelta, Greipel was good but he doesn't have the win rate that Cavendish has. Both Cav and Greipel are very good but they also rely on their team in a huge way, the sprint train is an essential part of many of their wins although Cav can manage without this, see his M-SR win or Scheldeprijs etc.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    maybe cav with ride for greipel as a end of season thank you. it is the vuelta and it was greipel's GT last year. Can't see greipel being happy as lead out man in all the GT's.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Could be interesting. Think Cav will take some beating at the Worlds though, with a lead-out train comprising Millar, Geraint and Wiggo...

Maybe then he'll forgive and forget the olympics! (assuming he hasn't done so already)
  • Is it not a more likely scenario that Greipel will help to lead out Cav and then Cav will pull out to rest up for the world's leaving Greipel the easy pickings in the final week?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Interesting. Both will be their country's leader at the Worlds, both will want to pull out early.
  • Tusher
    Who is Greipel's lead-out man?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Tusher wrote:

Whoever's left over? Boasson Hagen was doing it at the Tour of Poland, but ended up beating him. At the Vuelta... did he have one? I can't remember, but I don't think so.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Kléber wrote:
    Clearly Cavendish is going to have Greipel working for him, assuming normal conditions. Greipel's career so far has been as a lead out rider, he used to be Ciolek's lead out.

As we saw in the Vuelta, Greipel was good but he doesn't have the win rate that Cavendish has. Both Cav and Greipel are very good but they also rely on their team in a huge way, the sprint train is an essential part of many of their wins although Cav can manage without this, see his M-SR win or Scheldeprijs etc.

*Pedant*
    Hincape played a serious part in Cavendish's M-SR win.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • teagar
    Could be interesting. Think Cav will take some beating at the Worlds though, with a lead-out train comprising Millar, Geraint and Wiggo...

Maybe then he'll forgive and forget the olympics! (assuming he hasn't done so already)

I know it's off topic but I can't see anyone getting past the Belgians in the 2010 worlds.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    teagar wrote:
    Could be interesting. Think Cav will take some beating at the Worlds though, with a lead-out train comprising Millar, Geraint and Wiggo...

I know it's off topic but I can't see anyone getting past the Belgians in the 2010 worlds.

Tactically tough one for the Belgians. Do they keep it together with Spaniards and Italians popping off the front every 5 mins only for Cav to sweep past Boonen/Van A in the last 100?

Strava is not Zen.
  • teagar
    calvjones wrote:
    teagar wrote:

Tactically tough one for the Belgians. Do they keep it together with Spaniards and Italians popping off the front every 5 mins only for Cav to sweep past Boonen/Van A in the last 100?
    How is it difficult? Boonen's said himself he's no longer got the speed to compete in bunch sprints. Anyone knows if it comes to that, Cavendish will win. It's thus entirely up to the brits to control the race. All the Beglians need to do is make it a tough race with a strong selection. It's not an easy run in, and they certainly have the riders capable of breaking it up. Boonen, Gilbert, Devolder, Van Avermaete, Van Summeren, are all tough, good, strong, one day racers suited to that kind of course who can make it very tough. - sorry it's off topic!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    afx237vi wrote:
    Tusher wrote:

Whoever's left over? Boasson Hagen was doing it at the Tour of Poland, but ended up beating him. At the Vuelta... did he have one? I can't remember, but I don't think so.

Greg Henderson? He won a stage which seems to be traditional for Greipel's lead out men.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tusher
    Cav and Greipel better have their 'Get Well Soon' presents ready- Mark Renshaw has succumbed to Epstein-Barr Virus-
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/renshaw ... stein-barr

He must have got it from kissing Michael Rogers.

Hope he's fully recovered in time for the main season, it's an illness that can take so long to fully recover from. Poor soul.