OT: Rage on! Rage on!

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Sat at the table after the Queens speech while tucking into my black feathered Kelly Bronze Turkey - don't ask. Upon my radio I will be pleasantly warmed by the joyous sound of the Christmas number one! Killing in the Name!

Rage on people! Rage on!
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Upon on radio? What mean you? :)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    500,000 sales :shock:

Presumably many to those who have the track already.

Some possibly buying more than one copy.

Just so one song can sell more than another on an arbitary 7 day period.

It hurts my head thinking about it :lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • You Rebel.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • DonDaddyD
    When I was a teenager, that song was my frustration and angst!

I loved that song!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • So have you stopped doing what they tell you yet?
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    When I was a teenager, that song was my frustration and angst!

I loved that song!

Yeah i remember seeing them in concert at Brixton when i was 17. Senser were the warm up band as well. Moshtastic!!
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I of course bought it, glad it stopped the dreadful piece of pap getting top spot, but it always has a slightly amusing association for me. RATM were 2nd on the Friday night bill at Reading '93. Their shirts were the biggest sellers by far that year. Result: 50,000 plus people, many of them in those shirts, all singing 'F*** you, I won't do what you tell me'. I couldn't help thinking of 'Yes, we're all individuals!' :)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675

Seems like no one buys singles any more.

Is the single a waste of time and effort?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tailwindhome
    nicklouse wrote:

Seems like no one buys singles any more.

Is the single a waste of time and effort?

It had occured to me that this battle was between the two major forces in the modern music business.

The internet era of downloads and facebook versus Mummy/Granny/Auntie buying the CD single in Tesco etc. for stocking fillers.

Who killed the single and the record shop?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    My 6 year old daughter insisted we download the Rage song in protest against Joe "ruining Hannah Montana's song". I'm just glad she hasn't started singing along to it... yet :shock:
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Belv wrote:
    My 6 year old daughter insisted we download the Rage song in protest against Joe "ruining Hannah Montana's song". I'm just glad she hasn't started singing along to it... yet :shock:

Whatever you do, don't tell her not to! :shock:
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Good point :lol:
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273

At least everyone who bought it took some positive action, instead of just bitching on the internet. Whether you agree with it or not.

You keep trolling and belittling on all the threads you can find about it. I'm going to put on Rage and enjoy the moment.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • tailwindhome
    Stuey01 wrote:

At least everyone who bought it took some positive action, instead of just bitching on the internet. Whether you agree with it or not.

You keep trolling and belittling on all the threads you can find about it. I'm going to put on Rage and enjoy the moment.

Did you indeed?

Harsh. It's trolling to disagree with you? Yes I've posted on this thread and the one you started in Cake Stop but it's hardly trolling.

What's that line? Something about telling me what to do?

EDIT Correction it wasn't the thread you started. It was first cake stop thread which wasn't enough so you started another one, then resurrected both on Sunday evening :lol:
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Posting frequently and negatively about something that you profess not to care and being argumentative. It is a pretty good impression of trolling.

You've posted more than any other poster on multiple threads about this topic, all of it negative. You seem to have your knickers in a right bunch about it.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I find it all very amusing that an old song from the early 90s purportedly pushing us to rebel against "them" has found its way back into the charts ahead of a track by a doey eyed 18 year old that would appeal to your great aunt Mildred. Hardly particularly rebellious since both tracks are produced by that music (and other) industry titan Sony. Sony fat cats must be laughing all the way to the bank as the "little people" spend their hard earned cash on a has been track that changed nothing and a pile of pap... (although I hear that "some" of the money from sales of the Rage Against the Machine track has gone to charity at least).

Sorry I'm feeling a bit cynical. Me? I'm sitting in my living room listening to Sabat Mater completed by Giovanni Battista Pergolesi in 1736. Beautiful music. Brings a tear to my eye. but don't worry I'll get out on my bike later and RLJ - f*ck them I won't do what they tell me...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    StuAff wrote:
    I of course bought it, glad it stopped the dreadful piece of pap getting top spot, but it always has a slightly amusing association for me. RATM were 2nd on the Friday night bill at Reading '93. Their shirts were the biggest sellers by far that year. Result: 50,000 plus people, many of them in those shirts, all singing 'F*** you, I won't do what you tell me'. I couldn't help thinking of 'Yes, we're all individuals!' :)

I was there :D

and I wasn't singing 8)
  • DonDaddyD
    edited December 2009
    Headhunnter, Sony didn't produce 'Killing in the name' in the same way 'The Climb' was produced. 'The Climb' was manufactured, badly. 'Killing in the name' is raw, passionate and real.

Also, Sony is the parent holding company, Epic and Syco are the labels respectively. They pay Sony irrespective and you'd be hard pushed to find a label not ultimately owned by Sony. It's like finding a car company not owned in some way by GM Motors (but to a lesser extent).

However, this, for me, wasn't about not lining Sony's wallet, which is near impossible not to given Sony's all-spanning involvement in the music industry. This wasn't about Joe or Cowell. It was about music and me buying the song I like.

Given the choice, at any moment of my life during any time of the year I would buy Killing in the name over the The Climb.

Lets face it 'The Climb' is hardly even a good song.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Ah hush, all you cynics. It's a bit of a laugh, a rude 1990's song is now no.1 at christmas instead of the same boring easy listening x-factor.

Think of it not as money taken out of Cowell's pocket, but as a protest against bland, manufactured pop.

I'm pleased. Haven't heard it played on the radio yet though.
  • Porgy
    So what sweary old song are we going to make number one next year?

How about "Too Drunk To Fcuk" by the Dead Kennedys
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Ah hush, all you cynics. It's a bit of a laugh, a rude 1990's song is now no.1 at christmas instead of the same boring easy listening x-factor.

Think of it not as money taken out of Cowell's pocket, but as a protest against bland, manufactured pop.

+1 Also it has raid £70,000 for Shelter which is a very good thing esp at this time of year. How much has the X Factor contributed to charity?
  • tailwindhome
    Stuey01 wrote:
    Posting frequently and negatively about something that you profess not to care and being argumentative. It is a pretty good impression of trolling.

You've posted more than any other poster on multiple threads about this topic, all of it negative. You seem to have your knickers in a right bunch about it.

While I don't care who the Xmas number one is/was I was interested in how the whole thing would play out. Maybe that part of the 'community campaign' was effective in that for the first time since Fairy Tale of New York was beaten into 2nd place I looked to see what the number one was.

I was interested in DDD's point regarding the relevance of the charts, Porgy's points regarding Dylan as a singer, the relationship between the labels and the parent company, the rather vague contributions to charity, the idea that people thought they were voting as a community not buying due to a marketing campaign, the role of internet sales versus supermarket dominance of the CD market, the value of singing your own songs verus a cover of another artists, the 'singer' a legimate artist/musician, even wether Hannah Montana was better than Joe McElderry.

Lots to talk about. See?

Maybe everyone else was just happy say 'Baa' and buy either single.

I had opinions, questions and view point and I posted.

Sorry
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Ah hush, all you cynics. It's a bit of a laugh, a rude 1990's song is now no.1 at christmas instead of the same boring easy listening x-factor.

+1 Also it has raid £70,000 for Shelter which is a very good thing esp at this time of year. How much has the X Factor contributed to charity?

+1

it's just unfortunate that some of the money still ends up in Cowell's pockets due to the Sony link. Can't wait for the free concert Rage are putting on next year to thank the UK :lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • tailwindhome

TBF to X factor they did release a charity single in aid of GOSH and one for Help the Heros (?) last year
  • DonDaddyD

TBF to X factor they did release a charity single in aid of GOSH and one for Help the Heros (?) last year

This is why I won't get into the whole side debates about not giving Sony money, Cowell money or even the whole X-factor has exploited the charts at Christmas too the point that music during that time becomes meaningless.

It's just about which song I prefer.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Ah hush, all you cynics. It's a bit of a laugh, a rude 1990's song is now no.1 at christmas instead of the same boring easy listening x-factor.

WMcC, are you annoyed by the RATM thing because you <3 X factor?

:P :wink:
  • Porgy
    Rich158 wrote:
    Can't wait for the free concert Rage are putting on next year to thank the UK :lol:

+1
  • tailwindhome

WMcC, are you annoyed by the RATM thing because you <3 X factor?

:P :wink:

I'm more annoyed by how long it took me to figure out what <3 meant.
    :oops:

Less than 3 X factors, that can't be right :?

I should point out that I'm Irish and therefore naturally resistant to being herded by anyone for any cause. It's why we never had an empire. Couldn't get an Army to march in straight lines.
    :D
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I can't help feeling sad about the whole thing.

I mean, the whole x-factor, Britain's got talent thing, what ever happened to bands or individuals being sucessful because they were original, talented, could write their own thing, toured for months in the back of a transit and merited sucess, rather than having a huge industrial scale publicity machine behind them.

Sad also that an old RATM track has been artificially elevated to no1, in some sort of anti x-factor campaign, that is nearly as bad as the x-factor itself. Music is dead, long live music.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Porgy
    I can't help feeling sad about the whole thing.

I mean, the whole x-factor, Britain's got talent thing, what ever happened to bands or individuals being sucessful because they were original, talented, could write their own thing, toured for months in the back of a transit and merited sucess, rather than having a huge industrial scale publicity machine behind them..

I really don;t understand your angst over this. There are still plenty of bands making it the old fashioned way - versions of manufactured badns have always been around - even in the 60s, 70s and 80s, held up by some as a sort of golden age of "proper" music - and the charts were dominated by novelty records, one-hit wonders, re-issues, manufactured acts, acts that didn;t actually write or play on their own records, etc.

I would recommend you ignoring the charts and X-factor and just getting out there and going to see a few decent gigs.