LochNess MTB Centre?

mcflyss
mcflyss Posts: 257
edited December 2009 in Routes
Is there a Centre like the 7Staines any where near Lochness?
Im heading up to Scotland next summer and trying to plan my route with the Misses to make sure im near some where that i can escape for the day!!

I know there will be plenty of places to go, but would really like an actual centre to start at... i have looked at the web site for MTB in Scotland and can't find one near y... is there one?

Comments

• CFS
    CFS Posts: 124
    There is a small centre at Abriachan above loch ness on the west side.

http://www.mtb-highland.com/Abriachan-g.asp

Not tried it yet so can't vouch for it.

Learnie is about half an hour from Inverness on the Black Isle. It is pretty good, great view of the Moray Firth.

Laggan and Golspie are about an hour from Inverness (in different directions), both are awesome, possibly better than the 7 stanes in some regards.
    Shot by both sides...
  • mcflyss
    CFS - thanks mate, was looking at Golspie but wasnt sure what it is like... but if you say its all good!! then thats for me!!
  • Abriachan IS small but usually really quiet and the views are great. You can also include it in a longer route from Inverness or Drumnadrochit. Search Google for "loch ness mtb" for more. If you need any more advice just ask.
  • CFS
    Agree, the views are great at Abriachan. I do intend to do the trails there.

I have ridden out that way from Inverness on the Great Glen cycle route and descended, possibly slightly illegally, down to the A82 past Dochgarroch and back along the Caledonian Canal. It's a good ride.

Golspie is a good choice, the climb is more interesting than Laggan, although overall I think Laggan is my favourite.

Beware, the Black route is full on, big rocky drops, exposure, etc. but the Red is great fun and well worth the visit on its own. The views are amazing.
    Shot by both sides...
  • mcflyss
    well basically where i live it is flat! Suffolk in the south east of england, and will only have one day out on the bike and want to experiance as much off road as i can.. hills, drop offs etc etc... but my skills are not that sharp as like i say.. its flat here!! So would say im a intermidate kind of rider! Not fussed about the views and that as will do that on other days with the misses.

So where would be best for that>

Thanks so far guys, been a real help!
  • I found Laggan to be very good value in terms of amount of descent for the climbing done and couldn't believe the work put in to it - big rocks placed to form paths across soft bits.

I did two or three laps (can't remember now) of the red in May after having done 10 Under the Ben in the morning and travelled across, and left about 4 o'clock I think, so that may give you an idea of the amount of riding available.
  • CFS
    For me Laggan 2 Reds and Blue would probably offer the most variety. The fire road climb is a wee bit of a grind the 3rd/4th time but it doesn't really go on for too long and there is sometimes an uplift but that's really for kids on DH bikes.

You get single track, rock slabs, North Shore, big berms (although Learnies are actually better) tables tops, a good cafe and bike shop.

The Red is totally do-able on a hard tail and you don't need armour. If you're not v. experienced I wouldn't attempt the black.

Tbh you won't be dissapointed at Laggan, Golspie or even Learnie.
    Shot by both sides...
  • mcflyss
    Thanks again guys, LAggan Wolftrak is looking V promising!!! Roll on summer next year!!! Cant wait to get some proper MTBing down, fed up with the sleppy hills we have around here!
  • If you're going up to Laggan then don't miss the black route. It is quite insane in places but probably the most fun trail I've ever done :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Nevis Range is about an hour away too. Though I'd do Golspie or Laggan since they're further away from civilisation, Nevis Range is relatively easy to get to.
    Uncompromising extremist