Anyone know what the Dalby conditions are?

kitenski
kitenski Posts: 218
edited January 2010 in Routes
Anyone been out over the weekend? there's a few of us meeting there Tuesday morning?

Last year we went in similiar conditions and it was treacherous with lots of ice, so just wondering how it is at the moment....

Cheers,

Greg

Comments

• Im hoping to go wednesday, i can imagine the trails are not too bad but would love to know what the roads are like there especially the hill up and the road down to the visitor centre.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Don't know but a lot of the guys from this site ride there regularly and may be able to help you:

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/

:wink:
  • Certain parts are quite muddy and wet but some of it is quite dry.
    commencal meta 5.5.3
  • Certain parts are quite muddy and wet but some of it is quite dry.
    commencal meta 5.5.3
  • kitenski
    cheers will2580, no ice around then, that is what we were worried about!!
  • I spoke to the guys at Purple Mountain today apparently the trails are closed and apparently due to re-open on the 28th???
  • Yup the forest is open as far as the visitor centre, though what i want to know is how accessible that is.

Of course i presume you can still go on the trails as it would be pretty hard for them to physically close them, it just means if anything happens then they are not liable for any injuries etc that may be down to the fault of the trail rather than the rider.

Though i was told this morning that the area behind dalby got around 12 inchs of snow last night and a further 3 this morning, whether this is true i dont know but if dalby got anything like the same, i wouldnt want to try riding it.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • kitenski
    Pickering has had over 20cm of snow, I'm not surprised the trails are shut. My brother tried to ride it once in the snow/ice and it was lethal he said.
  • planning on going tomorrow, anyone been today and have any info on how good the trails are?

cheers
  • i planned on going tomorrow as well. site still says they are closed but i have no idea what they are like, drove past forest drive last night and that looked pretty clear.

Sadly am relying on mum to take me tomorrow and as such she refuses unless the site says otherwise. Sucks having a car that refuses to hold a charge in the battery longer than an hour. Thankfully shops reopen soon and can get myself a new un!
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • i went last sunday (just after the snow came down) and couldn't get up the hill out of thornton-le-dale, so parked there and biked through elleburn along the river to the visitor centre (about 4 miles). was hard going as the snow was about 6 inches deep. visitor centre was deserted and routes would have been almost unrideable, but forest drive had been gritted on the steep bits so i reckon a car could have got through.

by now the hill from thornton-le-dale should be fine, and i reckon the forest drive to the visitor centre will be doable. if not i would just park near the toll booth and bike in, its not far.

i just would like to know what the trails are like before i make the trip.
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Mate from work went on boxing day and it was almost unrideable. had to bail out after 2hrs as they ahd only managed about 4 miles on the red route
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Can't have been too bad, we had some riders go and it looked like they had fun on some of the lesser known trails................... :wink:

have a look here:

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/slip-slidin-away-t5725.html

:D
  • Has anyone managed a ride on the red route yet?
  • hammy7272
    hammy7272 Posts: 236
    Hi,

Planning do go to Dalby tomorrow :D . Does anyone know what the conditions are like?

Many thanks