Hi all..

tubthumped
tubthumped Posts: 44
edited December 2009 in MTB beginners
Just thought I'd say 'Hi' to everyone on here as I'm returning after a few years of thrashing motorbikes without touching anything pedal powered.

Just been out and treated myself to a Merida TFS trail 100-D for crimbo - so come boxing day I'll get out and muddy on it. I can see me done a lot of puffing and wheezing, 2 games of football a week have probably not been enough to keep me bike fit!
YOUR name on MY Triumph Race bike: From only a tenner

Orange Five

Triumph Daytona 675 2010 SuperStock Race Bike

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    im sure you'd be suprised how fit you are and if not, it'll take no time once you're back in the saddle. welcome and dont forget, we like pics round here (of bikes preferably)
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    edited December 2009
    Howdy doo. Welcomes back.

Depends how many packets of fags, beer and pies you've had since you last rode as to how quickly you get bike fitness back, i reckon.
  • Cheers for the replies.
    I'll get some pics in the next day or two.

As for fitness...
    Fags were up from 0 to around 10 a day - but they've been back at 0 again for 6 months.

I've put on around 2 stone since I last XC'ed - so i need to get that down with riding and some running.
    I think the biggie will be cycling specific muscles that are now AWOL and my stamina.

Orange Five

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    A couple of tips..

Get the seat up nice and high so that its a reasonable stretch on the legs i.e. nearly fully extended with the crank in the low position. This helps to maximise the power you get out of the legs. Warm up and loosen up before you ride otherwise you'll be nursing back injuries etc. Don't over do it, it will take roughly 6 weeks of regular riding before you start to get noticeably fitter.

Oh and welcome (from a fellow biker) to the legal adrenaline that gets you fitter. the great thing about riding is you can throw yourself down the nearest flinty, mud track and scare yourself stupid without anyone pointing a radar at you and demanding your licence.

you will find a lot of the skills of powered two wheels also work on mtbs.
  • Well here is a couple of pics to keep you all happy.

I'll get some more when it's not dark and it's covered in crap!
    Might use my dogcam bullet camera setup from the motorbike when i get on some decent trails and upload some vids too...

b9671ea9.jpg

d47e0eb7.jpg

Orange Five

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    very cool looking bike there.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    nice 8)
  • missmarple