Winter Hack

smeev
smeev Posts: 105
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Is it worth investing in a winter bike?? I am ruining my spesh allez riding it in the winter elements. Have got cruds on & all that, but it is slowly deteriorating.
Any thoughts?
Special eyes 4 ever....

Comments

• There is another idea. Carry on using your Spesh for the winter and then treat yourself to a new bike for the summer :wink:
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • smeev
    Yes,

lol, that is a possible option. Unfortunately, my wife will possibly kill me if i spent in the excess of £1000 on another bike.
    Special eyes 4 ever....
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Out of interest, deteriotating how exactly?
  • So what happens if you buy a winter bike and summer arrives?
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    So what happens if you buy a winter bike and summer arrives?

it usually means you've bought it at the wrong time of the year.....
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Deteriorating??? Another one who wonders what you are on about.
    eh?
  • Didn't you lot know? Bikes melt n the rain. :roll: :wink:

Seriously though, what is it that's going so wrong so soon? Even with winter your bike should last a good few years :? :)
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    Iv had the same mountain bike for a few years, Iv only had to replace the chain and casette once so far and thats a machine that gets hammered in awful conditions and compeltely gunked up with various types of mud. Your road bike will be fine. Iv got a 1k cx bike that hasnt yet been damaged from the abuse I throw its way and it gets used daily in all conditions its got shimano 105 drivetrain same as my road bike, Bikes are not as breakable as you think.
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    My winter bike is where the left over bits from upgrading my best ones go to die. Hence 9sp Dura-ace shifters and Ultegra rear mech and cassette. Just a cheap Sora front mech and old Tektro brakes. 9 year old Ultegra hubs with their 3rd set of rims. Only the frame was new, and that because I was sick of the old steel Olmo one.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you don't wash the salt off after each ride - you will lose the nice shiny alloy finish on your drive train. As my hack is cheaper than a new groupset - I consider it money well spent !
  • cougie wrote:
    you will lose the nice shiny alloy finish !

I think a lot of truth lies within this comment :wink: 8)

EDIT; Along with, can't afford/misses wont let me, buy a shiny new,expensive, bike every year just cos it aint shiny :lol::wink:
  • thexvw
    thexvw Posts: 135
    Winter will accelerate the wear on your bike. A lot depends on how often you ride it in the winter. I rode my specialized roubaix 5 days a week through last years winter. In the spring I ended up replacing rear sprocket, chain and bottom bracket. The rear wheel rim (Mavic cx22) now needs replacing after another 6 months of "summer" weather. Despite having the rear hub (105) serviced on a regular basis, the freehub now also needs replacing.

This winter I managed to pickup a genesis singlespeed with full mudguards for about the same price as replacing the above. This in theory should be a bit cheaper to maintain. It seems to be standing up better so far.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    I think the OP has gone the same way as his (her) bike....
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    But won't anything used in winter such as an alloy Dolan/Ribble custom build etc also corrode?

If you're worried about the wheel rims (and rightly so) then either use super cheap wheels (and sensible tyres) in winter or, dare I say, get some handbuilts on the cheap (e.g. Mavic Open Sport with Mirage hubs and plain gauge spokes) and save the fastest wheels for when they're really needed.

As for bottom brackets etc, are you talking about the grit and salt that can get in? I've been wondering about the benefits of ceramic components in this respect - would they be better sealed and be more resistant to wear? You always hear positive comments about ceramic bearings, bottom brackets etc. Might treat myself to a Van Nicholas ceramic bottom bracket when the Veloce one needs replacing :D
  • If your running two bikes, you'll be using each bike half as much as you would use one. So it terms of component wear, will last double the amount of time! What better excuse do you need to get more bikes! Don't just have a summer and winter bike, have one for spring and autumn too. Imagine the money you'd save, you'd be a fool not too :D
  • If your running two bikes, you'll be using each bike half as much as you would use one. So it terms of component wear, will last double the amount of time! What better excuse do you need to get more bikes! Don't just have a summer and winter bike, have one for spring and autumn too. Imagine the money you'd save, you'd be a fool not too :D

I like your thinking
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Took my new bike out on its first outing a few weeks back after days of heavy rain. Rode it through a flood that was up to its axles. Gave it a good clean and oil as soon as I got back. I don't feel that a bit of winter weather will increase the rate of wear significantly as long as it is cleaned and oiled after each ride. I've never had a winter bike until now (my old best bike has been relegated but isn't ready yet) and used to ride regularly in the winter months. 15 years on the bike is still fine and has had very few components changed. If it's a case of just wanting to keep the bike looking its best rather than worrying about it falling apart then there's nothing wrong with having an old bike for the winter. It also means you can fit the lights and guards to one bike an keep them on there whilst keeping the other bare. Think of it as having a training bike and a racing bike rather than a winter bike :wink:
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Does anyone who rides their bike every day actually wash it every day? :?
    More problems but still living....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Probably not (I don't ride everyday myself though) - I've always been bad at washing mine which makes the amount of time it lasted with not problems even better but after riding in particularly bad conditions like my first ride on my new bike then I would wash it straight away. Probably should have said cleaned and oiled regularly.
  • pianoman
    Maybe by the same token, those of use who have just bought new cars should also buy an old banger for use in the winter as a "winter hack" - after all I've only had my new KA for two weeks and already needed to wash it once.

If you're rich, then I guess you can't have enough cars either.........
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Why on earth would you NOT want two bikes ?

I have my carbon bike for the good weather and racing.

I have my steel fixie for the winter - full guards, lights, reflectives - its perfect.

If you have a mechanical issue with one of the bikes - then you do have a back up and dont need to miss a nice weekend ride.

As to the Ka - it wont suffer cosmetically as much as a dura ace groupset would if it has salt on it for a week or so...

Bikes can be relatively cheap - you dont have to go OTT with a winter bike, and a lot people have their old bikes converted into winter bikes.
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    If your running two bikes, you'll be using each bike half as much as you would use one. So it terms of component wear, will last double the amount of time! What better excuse do you need to get more bikes! Don't just have a summer and winter bike, have one for spring and autumn too. Imagine the money you'd save, you'd be a fool not too :D

I like your thinking

On that basis....If you buy two new bikes......33% wear and tear....etc..
  • pianoman
    Or buy TEN bikes, 10% each way, and then once you're too old to race anymore at elite level, start a racing team with them :D
  • smeev
    i think i may be possibly panicing about nothing. i suppose it comes with the territory with winter riding. Yes, it is plastered with salt/grit & everything else & i wish i could of cleaned it before i went away working up north this week. It is my 1st road bike for some time & i suppose you get better with experience.

Tar.
    Special eyes 4 ever....
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If you have left it covered with salt for any length of time you will know why I have a bike I do not worry too much about how it looks. It just has to work properly and keep most of the cr*p off me.