Bike security

2»

Comments

• Half the trouble is the damage that's going to be done as they try to get your bike. Spending loads of money on chains and locks is all well and good until they cut through £500 worth of them, and then take your bike. It's kinda counter-productive.

The steel box is a good idea but you really want some better deterant before they decide to go in in the first place. The trouble is, once they're in the shed, they can't be seen. I remember my dad would make a point of keeping the car unlocked when it was in the garage, because if someone gets in the garage they're getting in the car one way or the other, so it was a way of limiting damage. Once in their, a lot of people will happily spend an hour or two doing what they have to do.

In all seriousness, the box would be better off outside the shed, where they don;t want to screw about for hours, with a decent security light.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Half the trouble is the damage that's going to be done as they try to get your bike. Spending loads of money on chains and locks is all well and good until they cut through £500 worth of them, and then take your bike. It's kinda counter-productive.

Thieves are very, very unlikely to cut through £500 worth of good chains to steel a bike, unless it's made of gold. Not because they can't, but because some other eejit up the road will have locked an equally expensive bike up with a chain made of paperclips and a padlock they got in a cracker. You don't have to be immune to theft to deter a thief. Like swimming with sharks.

Ironically, if the great lock industry/thatcham/sold secure confidence trick ever does break, and people stop securing their bikes with terrible crap, it'll become a lot harder for people with a clue to secure their bikes. But in the meantime, you've only got to be a faster swimmer than the next guy.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    Gah......I'm spooked now!

Going to check I've locked the shed...and will review security tomorrow.

*sigh*
  • djrock
    djrock Posts: 66
    Northwind wrote:
    Thieves are very, very unlikely to cut through £500 worth of good chains to steel a bike, unless it's made of gold. Not because they can't, but because some other eejit up the road will have locked an equally expensive bike up with a chain made of paperclips and a padlock they got in a cracker. You don't have to be immune to theft to deter a thief. Like swimming with sharks.

Ironically, if the great lock industry/thatcham/sold secure confidence trick ever does break, and people stop securing their bikes with terrible crap, it'll become a lot harder for people with a clue to secure their bikes. But in the meantime, you've only got to be a faster swimmer than the next guy.
    QFA
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    batfink82 wrote:
    So my bikes have been stolen for the second time from my garden shed. They were chained with a large Master chain through the back of the shed and onto a concrete fence post. The b*rstards used bolt cutters to just lop through the chain and 2 padlocks. I thought when i installed this it would be pretty secure.

This time I am going to build from scratch a steel bike tank inside my shed. I think I will use 30mm x 30mm x 3mm thick box section welded together and then covered completely in sheet steel. This will be bolted to the shed. It will then have a small hidden hole at the back where a even larger replacement chain will secure the bikes to the concrete fence post behind.

I have bought 2 massive van 'hockey puck' style padlocks to secure the opeing doors. I have also bought a wireless shed alarm which has a magentic door contact system which will sound when opened.

I will also use weld on hinges for the doors these will have welded ends so the pins cannot be driven out.

Does anyone have any other ideas of what i should consider building into my tank??

I reckon i can build this for about £200-£250 which is much cheaper than the Trimetals bike store which to be honest looks really lightweight and cr*p.

Thanks for your time.

What kind of area do you live in ,,,

How observant are people in your street ... and are you well liked know a lot of people in your street /area have you asked around ...

Is your back garden have a footpath at the back of it ??

Have you considered installing cctv or webcam type setup .. making it 24hr ..

After your last bike theft did you make any observations of possible entry and escape routes

And always think like a tea leaf .. it helps become more aware of all possilbles because nothing will ever stand in a way of a determind tea leaf ...
  • biff55 wrote:
    keep bike indoors , wherever you live , no matter what you have to do to achieve this.
    would never consider storing anything more valuable than a hedge-trimmer in any sort
    of shed.
    the only other security option is under-fed rottwieller.

Absolutely, after having a bike stolen from my parents shed many years ago, I do not keep any bike in a shed.

I'm actually in violation of my tenants agreement keeping mine in my flat, but, needs must. Keep it schtum tho!
    Do it.
  • KT1973
    KT1973 Posts: 93
    I have insured my bike on my house insurance, but the problem is they will only go to a maximum value of £1500 for my bike.

What are good companies to insure it seperately and how much is a typical quote?
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    I agree with a couple of statements from the above, once bikes are stolen from a shed its a no-go area for the bikes, i had one stolen a few years back, secured the shed and the replacement bike was locked up in a stupid fashion far too many locks etc... one night a month later the shed was broken into, bike survived, next night shed broken into again bike gone :(

Since then the bikes live in the house, i house shared for a bit and just had a med sized bedroom, but the bikes lived in there, i then got a one bed flat bikes lived in the front room, i know have a 2 bed flat i share, bikes live in the cupboard (under the stairs type) well 2 in the cupboard and 1 in the bedroom, and another somewhere else!!

The bikes are worth far too much too loose, the other half isn't impressed but she bikes too and would be gutted if she lost hers.