Seal Skinz....how to stop water getting in!

sam_commencal
sam_commencal Posts: 99
edited December 2009 in MTB general
Every time I ride in the wet, my feet get soaked in my seal skinz because the water runs down in the inside.
Has anyone come up with an ingenious solution to this or should I just try some elastic bands around the ankles?

Comments

• No, you'll cut off the blood supply.. Its better to have warm wet feet, than cold...

I just use tesco plastic bags over my socks. I either tie them around my leg, or use my lycra leggins to hold them in place. Works for me.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Use overshoes tucked inside the bottom of your waterproof trousers. Some types of overshoes are more suited to MTBing. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/end ... gn=froogle
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    cut holes in the bottom to let the water out :wink:
  • gaffer tape?
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I cut the bottom 3 inches off the legs an old (but decent) wetsuit. I use the "collars" over the top of the socks - no water ingress at all. Sealskinz should really do something themselves though - I have suggested my idea to them!
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Conical latex ankle seals from here http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/Drysu ... eals1.html They work best if you have winter boots on such as Sidi Diablo or similar.
  • gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    I waterproofed an old pair of base layer pants with nikwax and make sure there tucked over the sock.
    I tried it out the other week when it rained from start to finish on an all day'er and had completely dry feet!
    Even the dreaded puddles that were more like lakes did not get through to my feet!
    try it out. :D
  • a middle ground is to wear a longer paris of socks over the top which wicks water down into the shoe, but over the top of the sealskinz, rather than down inside. This doesn't work if your feet get totally submerged or it's pouring rain for hours
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Every time I ride in the wet, my feet get soaked in my seal skinz because the water runs down in the inside.
    Has anyone come up with an ingenious solution to this or should I just try some elastic bands around the ankles?

1. Stay out of water more than ankle deep.

2. Wear water repellent leggings or over trousers.

3. Get the mid-calf length Sealskinz instead.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Surf-Matt
    My thin Sealskinz failed (a month old, leaked) - they replaced them with the mid length merino ones for no extra cost - they are MUCH warmer.
  • It may not be the most "chic" of suggestions, but a cheap pair of Gaiters (tesco do a pair for a fiver) are really good at covering the gap between waterproof trouser/leg and overshoe/shoe. For a fiver you cant lose!
    Lapierre Zesty 514 The "other woman"
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    dodgy wrote:
    Conical latex ankle seals from here http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/Drysu ... eals1.html They work best if you have winter boots on such as Sidi Diablo or similar.

Great idea dodgy. I found similar seals for sale in the UK (to save postage) at http://www.seaskin.co.uk/acatalog/Drysuit_Spare_Parts.html

I'll try them out with my Sealskinz and Northwave Celsius boots.

a serious case of small cogs
  • gaiters work well..

but best bet is to just overlap your trousers over the top, dont try making it more tight otherwise like someone else said your leg will come off at end of ride. :D
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Another one who has used sellotape to seal waterproof socks at the cuff on my calf, most of teh time it was on the way home from work so it didn't cost me anything :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    Knee length seal skinz do a good job and it means you can alternate layer with w/proof trousers. The short seal skins are OK for shoes in dewey grass. Anything more - and the gators come out. The good thing about shoes, short skinz and gators is that they let you tune your comfort (heat, moisture,etc), which is great in summer.
  • trekhead
    trekhead Posts: 626
    two lackie bands - honest it works
    ole ginger b*ll*cks / the ginger ninja
  • Surf-Matt
    My idea is still the best one though... :wink::lol::lol:
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Yes Matt, we all have old but decent wetsuits laying around our homes :lol:
  • Surf-Matt
    Everyone should have at least four wetsuits in their house - whether they surf, sail, dive or not.

The drysuit seal idea is best for non old wetsuit owners (I added "decent" because good wetsuits are thinner but stretchier - and old thick divesuit would be a bit cumbersome).

I used the wetsuit in my avatar - it now has rather short legs!
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Everyone should have at least four wetsuits in their house - whether they surf, sail, dive or not.

The drysuit seal idea is best for non old wetsuit owners (I added "decent" because good wetsuits are thinner but stretchier - and old thick divesuit would be a bit cumbersome).

I used the wetsuit in my avatar - it now has rather short legs!
    this may well be what my now old and too small suit gets used for.... i need to get a new one reall bad... trying to surf in a summer (2:3) suit thats too small for you any time after october is like commiting suicide... sort ov.... (not really, or id be very,very dead by now....)
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Surf-Matt
    Josh - I used a 3/2 - ideal for the job. It was a great suit but now leaks like a sieve.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Josh - I used a 3/2 - ideal for the job. It was a great suit but now leaks like a sieve.
    thats becouse you cut it up....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    thats becouse you cut it up....

That simply shortened the legs slightly...

All the seams were going. Got three seasons out of it which is damn good going. Xcels rock.