Fox Flux owners! Tell me...

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited December 2009 in MTB general
How long did the ridiculous boy racer wing last? Lovely helmet, bit bulky maybe but I've never really felt the need for added downforce...
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• Ridiculous and bulky?

Why did you buy it then?

I've had 2 flux helmets (first one replaced after heavy crash) and I've no issues with the look of it...sorry...I'm still trying to get my head around why someone would buy something and then attempt to take it apart.

It makes no difference whether it's there or not....but if image is an issue you're in the wrong sport because, let's face it, as cyclists we look ridiculous in our baggies/lycra blah blah.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • Northwind
    Ridiculous and bulky?

Why did you buy it then?

Because it's a great helmet with a stupid stylist's idea attached to it for no reason at all. The bulk doesn't bother me at all. Now that the Max Power spoiler is gone, it's a great helmet that no longer looks daft and which functions identically, other than that it's easier to attach lights to. And weighs about 3 grams less ;)

What does annoy me is that the visor's not adjustable, yet they put all that effort into the wing, that really makes no sense.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Nope, still got my 'spoiler' on and it's staying on.

Nothing wrong with it at all IMO :?
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • andituk
    andituk Posts: 122
    It's never bothered me enough to remove it. Don't you now have holes in your helmet (ouch..)?
  • Northwind
    It appears I may be in a minority :lol: Yeah, it leaves 5 little holes (5!) which is a bit odd though IMO not as odd as the spoiler. It'd refit, though I think you'd not want to do it too often as the plastic is likely to wear, and it feels like the shell might too.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • COMET99
    COMET99 Posts: 140
    To be honest the rear wing doesn't bother me, at the end of the day it's a helmet that does a good job of protecting your head against any accidents that may happen. I say just go out and ride. That's just my opinion though :D
  • Northwind
    I'm getting pwnd by democracy :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    I was gonna buy one of those.
    What is the actual point of the spoiler then?
    Is it like a fin that helps direct you into corneres?
    Not really active
  • Northwind
    Downforce, and impressing teenage corsa owners :lol: Don't be put off, it's a great helmet, very good securing method. Though it's a bit big, and a bit heavy, compared to a Xen or even a Hex but that to me's the only real downside.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    i thought the point of the spoiler on the flux was directing airflow not downforce.

and I've kept mine on. it does a great job of stopping the rain coming in on that bit of the helmet
    what are brakes for again
  • Did anyone else's strap clamp thingys on each side break within the first couple of weeks? :? You know, the wee plastic bits that sit under your ears to adjust the straps?

I had to take a couple of an old helmet, after the original ones lasted about 2 rides. Never had any other issues with the helmet having said that.

And if I did take the spoiler off, I wouldn't go anywhere near as fat as I do just now :wink:
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    Hadn't even noticed the rear spoiler, I'm gonna have to go to the shed now and check it out!
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Anyone fancy one of these instead? :lol:

http://www.yakkay.com/Covers.aspx

Think I might buy a skate helmet + camo hat and make my own. :wink:
    Stumpjumper fsr comp £1,600
    Some cycle clobber £357.26
    A load of stuff to clean and lube with £54.56
    Hydration rucksack £9.95

Watching this clueless buffoon make an ar$e of myself out on the trails. PRICELESS! :D
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I'm also on my second after a big smash. Hit the ground hard enough to break both my arms and I'm still injured after six months. Surgeon said it saved my life, so I'm a big fan.

Spoiler doesn't bother me. Who here would by a lid without the all important peak?! And they do exactly sod all.
  • P-Jay wrote:
    I'm also on my second after a big smash. Hit the ground hard enough to break both my arms and I'm still injured after six months. Surgeon said it saved my life, so I'm a big fan.

Spoiler doesn't bother me. Who here would by a lid without the all important peak?! And they do exactly sod all.

Some of the mags were saying that peaks will be going out of fashion, that's just the manufacturers trying to sell more to people who think there is some fashion involved. I like peaks just because they keep the sun out of your eyes in the summer.

As far as the spoiler goes, really don't care!
  • andituk
    andituk Posts: 122
    Peaks are awesome for keeping the rain out of your eyes if you're not wearing glasses too.
  • colt
    colt Posts: 173
    TBH with the massive amount of helmets out there, i can't see why anybody would buy a helmet that they weren't completley satisfied with, have to say I quite like the spoiler even though I know it doesnt actually do anything :)
    Trek Fuel EX8 Rootbeer, mmm beer!
  • Northwind
    colt wrote:
    TBH with the massive amount of helmets out there, i can't see why anybody would buy a helmet that they weren't completley satisfied )

I am now almost completely satisfied with it. But it's all about the fit, it's uncannilly perfect, like Fox have a mould of my head somewhere in their lair. Fits like a really weird shaped, rigid glove with no fingers. I really wanted a Xen, they're great helmets except for the bit in the back that jabs right into my brain, as if to say "If you fall off, I'll KILL YE!"

I'm completely satisfied with my old Hex, btw, except that it's not a very stable mount for a video camera- the fit's very good but it sits on my head while the Fox seems to wrap around.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I've got a flux, the spoiler has had me in 2 minds for a while.. not enough to make me take it off, but I do think about it!!

Fantastic lid though, as above, bit heavy, but then I don't really care about weight too much!! (Although my peak does come off occasionally, but thats nothing that gaffa tape/superglue won't fix!)
  • i was looking at these but bought a hex instead - the spoiler would not have put me off but having an adjustble visor swung it for me in the end.

to be honest i tought there was very little difference between the hex and the zen either. not enough to justify the price anyway.

(if i had bought the flux and my mates had taken the wee wee then i would have removed the spoiler...... :oops: )
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Should have got a Xen! :lol: I love mine... fits like a, like a ... well, a xen... its just so, so comfy, it seems to "envelop" your head in a cacoon of exelent protection and comfort... its grat... and it doesnt have any funky styling add ons, it just looks amazing as it is... saying that.. it is hugely expensive, and i wouldnt have got one if i had to pay... it's due to my incredible letter writing skills... :wink: and the kind people at MBUK that i have one...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    love my flux. incredibly comfortable, and the spoiler doesn't look bad really. if anything it'd look odd without it!

had mine for a couple of years and nothings gone wrong with it, gets used every day and the little strap things havent broken. the only annoying thing is that i do have to keep tightneing the chin strap up. other than that, brilliant!!
    :D
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • Northwind
    Should have got a Xen!

Wish it fitted :( Weird that the fit of the Hex and Xen is so different.
    Uncompromising extremist