Better design for a cyclocross bike?

cw42
cw42 Posts: 205
edited December 2009 in Amateur race
A long time ago, I used to race my mountainbike in the NEMBA series during the summer. When it came to the winter, to keep my eye in, I'd race in a few local short course races. That is the first time I came across a cyclocross bike.
Having got back into both off and on road cycling this year, and loving different aspects of the two disciplines, I've thought about having a bike that could do both. Well, that'd be a cyclocross bike, surely?
However, I'd not like to ride my new design with dropped bars as I don't use them much when I'm riding my road bike. Also, the brakes would have to be better than the ones you get on cyclocross bikes, at least v-brakes and preferably disc brakes like on my mountainbike. Good clearance around the stays so I could fit mud guards? I've got them on both road and mountainbike now.
Does such a bike exist?
Cyclocross geometry, flat bars, disc brakes and mudguards?
live long, eat biscuit

Comments

• jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    Yes but you may have to build it rather than buy off the peg. If you put flat bars on a cross bike then you will easily be able to run v-brakes or disks. There are a few 'cross frames with disk mounts (e.g. Planet X Uncle John). Obviously you'll need a disk capable fork too. Off the top of my head I can't think of a flat barred cross bike with disks you can buy complete. Plenty of hybrid options though.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    A 29" wheeled bike sounds like what you're looking for I think.
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    A 29er might fit the bill, take a look at on-one.

Look at the cotic roadrat as well.

It depends on what you want to do. You will be compromising a lot, no bike that is strong enough for serious off road duty is going to be lightning fast on the road.
  • cw42
    cw42 Posts: 205
    Thanks for the replies guys. The on-one looks interesting. That's more like an mtb with big wheels though. I was looking to keep the road bike look and mix it with mtb brakes and positioning :)
    Maybe a custom build is the way to go.
    live long, eat biscuit
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,544
    Really depends on the sort of courses in your area too. Some areas the courses are relatively flat and fast with obstacles to mount and dismount (what I think of as a traditional cross course) which are more suited to lightweight cross bikes with drops whilst others are more like short MTB courses and allow you to stay mounted throughout most of the circuit which can be more suited to the more rugged MTB. There'll always be an element of compromise even if you adapt a cross bike.
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    HYbrid is probably the best rout to go and change the tyres as required.
    Boardman do a decent range.

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_proltd.html
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Note that disc brakes are not legal for UCI CX and road events afaik, this should extend to BC events as well. Likewise only drop bars are allowed under th etech regs for both types of race.
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    With the exception of Premier events you can ride any bike in a BC cross race UCI legal or not. The only exception is that wheels must be UCI legal in all races.

That's why you see mountain bikes with disc brakes in cross races.

You can get the odd cross bikes with disc brakes - like this focus http://www.focusbikesuk.com/focuscycloc ... s_disc.php

No flat bars I'm afraid but wouldn't you just ride on the hoods instead of the drops?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Not sure if you're planning on using the bike for racing on the road - in which case, you need to be looking at a cross bike - most hybrid and MTB-derivative frames simply would be too heavy for road racing on anything but the flat. I don't think you can ride disc brakes in road races either - faster speeds and closer racing makes the risk even greater.It's not usual to see cross bikes in road races - but you may need to fit a larger chainring - FWIW I run out of gears on the road with a 46 chainring and prefer a 50 minimum.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..