A new experience...wasn't prepared.

stomith
stomith Posts: 332
edited January 2010 in XC and Enduro
So we all know it is cold and are preparing accordingly with layers and wind/water shields...etc

Didn't think about the bike much though apart from the ritualistic clean and oil.

With these climatic conditions, off road static puddles have the tendancy to be covered in a thin layer of ice, which make a great noise when they are unavoidable. The problem kicks in with the muddy water from said puddle being thrown over the bike. It freezes, almost instantly on the cold metal of the bike.

Of course, the metal of the bike consists of cables, brakes, gears and pretty much anything else that isn't actively moving. I lost the front derllr pretty much instantly. Brakes just acted like Rims in the wet and made stopping looong, hard and very drawn out.

The rear derllr got tighter and tighter...losing the lowest and highest gears first. Reason has it that time is inversely proportional to the number of gears.

So, anyone else dealt with this scenario? prepared for it better than me? got any wise words of experience?

Oh...and when the icy mud freezes...boy is that stuff hard! Cycling boots are no match for freezing muddy water in a harsh Northery wind. (top of Ridgeway). They froze too.

Comments

• for you it's a case of MTFU.

for the bike, fully sealed cables help a lot, what's really good is when you cycle through a clean puddle using rim brakes, it freezes on the rims, when you next brake you get and explosion of ice!

Haven't noticed any degradation of my discs in the freezing wet though. Mechs can be revived by periodically peeing on them, or carrying a thermos of hot-water/tea.
  • stomith
    MTFU? Metal Trades Federation of Unions?

I think I know the "TFU" bit...but what is the "M"?

Thanks for the tip of getting my bits out in a -9 crosswind and trying to generate the flow and accuracy required to address the forlorn mech. Having never done this before...I searched on Google for some tips. I didn't find any that were directly related, but I did find some very interesting scientific, perhaps even medical sites.

It is truely amazing what can be done with a hosepipe, a spatula and G-clamp.

:)
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    stomith wrote:
    MTFU? Metal Trades Federation of Unions?

I think I know the "TFU" bit...but what is the "M"?

Thanks for the tip of getting my bits out in a -9 crosswind and trying to generate the flow and accuracy required to address the forlorn mech. Having never done this before...I searched on Google for some tips. I didn't find any that were directly related, but I did find some very interesting scientific, perhaps even medical sites.

It is truely amazing what can be done with a hosepipe, a spatula and G-clamp.

That would be MAN
  • stomith
    oh. that means I don't know what TFU means. :oops:

/me suddenly feels old.
  • Stomith,

Gears often freeze below zero and snow can get stuck in the cassette, so that's normal. peeing on them helps - a thermos flask for the ladies of course. I snow builds up it'll freeze solid so jsut break it off. Get decent overshoes for your boots and look at sealskinz socks or decent merino wool ones, ski gloves help too. A buff or fleece skull cap will keep your head warm also. I use deep heat when kitting up and it makes the first 45 minutes toasty. I also make my energy drink with hot water - helps at the start! Good luck!
  • stomith
    hmmmm...

Have two balaclavas, endura skull cap, half face balaclava, ski goggles, cycling glasses, salomon jacket c/w integral fleece, zipped airgap fleece, body armour base layer, sniper mittens (oxford army surplus), under woollen gloves, Altura windproof gloves, ski gloves, seal-skinz knee length, smart socks knee length, chili spd boots, thermal under trousers (worked for me in the Pyrenees), waterproof over trousers....and a very cool Buff from Go Outdoors.

My 'pre-heated' fruit juice in hydration bag internally on my back...froze in the tube externally :/ Back was warm though :)

and Yes - took all that with me...and overheated in the core, and froze on my feet.

Still, I've never had the bike freeze up like it did....ever. Not even in the Alps....but then, it was warmer in the Alps.

I shall find some deep heat, that's a new one....and i shall practise peeing on my bike.

...and car.

.... and maybe on the pathway leading to the house too :)
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    stomith wrote:
    oh. that means I don't know what TFU means. :oops:

/me suddenly feels old.

Man The F*&^ Up

I.e. stop being such a wimp and just get on with it :wink:
  • stomith
    ah Barrie G, i kind of get it. Thanks. So I got bike advice from ride_whenever with a character assessment thrown in for good measure. How spookily accurate it was too. I am indeed a wimp, slightly feminate and most definately not able to pee on my bike to the frequency that may be required.

• With the camelback, blow back up the tube after you have a drink, that will stop it freezing. On a cold day, once they freeze they are pain to get working again.

I tend to stick with the single speed in the below freezing weather, nothing to freeze up that way:

P3210245.jpg
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    stomith has a point. Although the snow looks great things can very quickly go pear-shaped if you are not prepared, especially away from the trail centre capsules.

I was out riding with a mate in Mid-Wales on NYE 1999 (yes really) and the snow was setting like concrete on the bikes. After dragging the bikes through knee-deep snow on the hillside we still had miles to go and it was dark. Then we went the wrong way...
  • stomith
    I have a point. \o/ 40 years and I finally say something credible. It's like coming of age.

My 1999 was shite. Can't even remember where I was. Wish I had of been out with you guys in the silly snow.

Our problem was muddy water leaping out of puddles as we were destorying the 5mm of ice on the top. It is QI that even when the frames are covered in a fine protective layer (TF2)...it is no match for the muddy water + wind combination on metal. There were only 5 or 6 of us out but it was perplexing as no-one had experienced it before.

Pear shaped is one word. I've gotten so used to my XT brakes being a bit too powerful on a light bike...that when they suddenly said "Work? Nah I don't think so" after a mile of exposed ridgeway...it suddenly became a bit of a comedy. A comedy where I get slapped in the face a lot and everyone else laughs. Y'know the kind? :)

Sticking to single speed was pretty much my only choice, in the end. You can only avoid so many puddles :/

All the fun of the fair though eh? :)
  • dunnnooo
    dunnnooo Posts: 900
    Pick a nice gear and be prepared to stick with it.
    Use the breaks plenty- lets you know in plenty of time if they're dying.
    Carry a lot of layers, but wear the bear minimum- stops you loosing too much liquid in sweat, and means you don't notice your frozen hands and feet as much.
    Make sure you've plenty of food with you. It's very easy to bonk in the cold.
    Don't zip the pocket with your mobile- if your hands freeze you may not be able to open in- but make sure it's a nice deep one.
    Let someone know when you're going to be back. And make sure they know to put the bl00dy kettle on five minutes before!
    Don't go too far!
    I'd give my right hand to be ambi-dextrous
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    dunnnooo wrote:
    Don't zip the pocket with your mobile- if your hands freeze you may not be able to open in- but make sure it's a nice deep one.

A good tip for this; I use a Krussel leather case for my mobile, it's not properly waterproof, but I guess you could wrap the phone in a sandwich bag before putting it in the case. Anyway, it's handy because the back of the case flaps open to expose the camera on the back of the phone. The flap is held in place with poppers, so I can attach the phone to the shoulder strap of my hydration pack by feeding the camera flap through one of the loops that the hose would go through. It's secure, but if I need it, it just detaches with a firm tug. And no faffing about trying to get into a back pocket, or the pack itself when I'm lying crippled in a ditch.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Aqaupacks are great for phones, come in many sizes.

There is a thermal insulation sleeve for camelback pipes.

As others have said, layering is also important, very important. Gortex shoes help if you don't like overshoes. Go for a merino baselayer and ideally some roubaix cycling tights underneath for that toasty warm sensation.

I always take a thermal blanket with me in case i have a problem, extra kit as well. If you have to stop, immediately put on some more kit. Best not to start to cool down. Ideally keep moving.

Generally though with the extreme cold, you do just need to think about your prep, which you seem to have pretty covered and stay MTFU-ed. As for bike handling it is just practice in the snow/ice, the same as any other condition.
  • KT1973
    KT1973 Posts: 93
    Fill the camelbak with Vodka. This has a much lower freezing point than water and should remain in liquid form in temperatures up to -27 deg C.
    If you drink it too it will keep you warm and also you will need to pee more often which you can direct at your rear cassette. As the ride goes on, this will prove increasingly difficult and you'll probably end up peeing all over your own shoes and then down your own leg which will also help to warm you up.

Works for me :shock:
  • stomith
    Happened again yesterday.

We were fine (especially as it took at least an hour to get ready) but the bikes suffered.

All 4 froze up on the front mechs but luckily the brakes survived. One of the lesser bike ( a kids Raleigh) had exposed cables routed same as the Stumpjumper and it was screwed. Cables froze tight and they don't wanna move once frozen.

Lesson: It is probably not a good idea to ride "through" frozen puddles. Have a couple of interesting images of faces filled with fear as the 1/2 inch ice cracks and gives way like in a kids cartoon.

Can't think of a better way to spend a New Years Day than out in the blaady cold North Easterlys.