Rubber o-rings to set sag and see max travel -why not!??

MacAndCheese
MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
edited December 2009 in MTB general
A simple little rubber o-ring that must cost about 2p and goes on the sanction.
A monkey could probably be trained to install it during manufacturer.
Why do some manufactures not bother!? And even more annoyingly why do some bother on some models (proving it's easily possible) and not others! Its the simplest little thing.
sorry for the mini rant but I couldn't find my cable ties yesterday and I just think that something that is so critical in setting up a fork should be pre-installed, it's not like it comes with a massive weight penalty either.
Santa Cruz Chameleon
Orange Alpine 160

Comments

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    WOW and i thought i was picky! LOL :D

Now on your training monkeys bit, My new guy managed to write a car off last night! grrr
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • sascos
    sascos Posts: 100
    ..Not sure about the monkeys driving but it`s cold enough for their brass bits to drop off...

On the subject of the O-ring on the stanchion, I have found that cutting the right length from the rubber thing from a Crud-Catcher (or something like it) with the ends nice and square, you can then super-glue the ends together and hey-presto you have an O-ring fitted just like the factory ones.

Of course you have to get the length right, not get any super glue on the stanchion itself and not glue your fingers together....................as mentioned much easier in the factory...!!

Funny old thing though..........my Crud Catcher keeps falling off...?
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Or you could just fit an O-ring when you service your fork. Any monkey can do that. Not really brain surgery.
  • ^^ what i was going to suggest. It isn't exactly hard.
  • sascos
    sascos Posts: 100
    ...service your fork.? ......sounds a bit professional to me (o;
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yeah, but he's right, there's not much reason why they don't come like that. A lot of bikes come with one on the shock after all (which is annoying, because that'd be easy for a DIYer to add, but relatively few people are happy dismantling forks).

I think possibly Maguras come with one? But could well be wrong there, i know the forks I've seen them on have all been rebuilt before so maybe the owner added them then.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    My Fox rear shock came with one fitted. TFTuned fitted one to my TALAS forks when they serviced them. They really are really nice people.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    Or you could use a small cable tie
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I just noticed that the new Rockshox seem to have one as well.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    i have one on my 2010 revs but you have to be carefull setting sag and make sure its pulled right up before a ride as ive had it pull under the seal a couple times.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    A simple little rubber o-ring that must cost about 2p and goes on the sanction.Why do some manufactures not bother!?
    I think the one on the rear shock is useful but my forks always have a tide mark of dirt and dust so it's fairly easy to see how much travel I'm using.
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    The one on the rear shock is useless. It keeps falling off the back of the shock!
    Not really active
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Controversy! :lol:
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    _Ferret_ wrote:
    The one on the rear shock is useless. It keeps falling off the back of the shock!

Doesn't that mean you are always bottoming out the shock?