Wiggins' new asymmetrical Pinarello

photojonny
photojonny Posts: 382
edited December 2009 in Pro race
Guardian mini-feature on the new Team Sky bike, apparently built with asymmetrical features to take account of drivetrain being on right side of bike:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/interac ... -sky-dogma

Complete with Gruaniad spelling mistake: Piranello!

Sorry if this is old news.

where there's two wheels, there's a way....

Comments

• ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Handy diagram.

I never realised that was where the seat stay was!
    Half man, Half bike
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Usual marketing pseudo-science. I'll bet Millar/Hinault/Merckx et al must have cursed their symmetrical stays which robbed them of their victories :wink:
    M.Rushton
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I dont think Pinarello are the only ones doing this are they ? I've been reading about that for a good year or two ? It does kind of make sense to me - but I doubt I'd notice much difference !

I do reckon that a race bike of today is a heck of a lot better than a Merckx era bike.
  • I'm sure both cannondale and trek do that.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    cougie wrote:

I do reckon that a race bike of today is a heck of a lot better than a Merckx era bike.

And so it should be given the advances in materials science/testing and the amount they now cost (altho' custom steel from the likes of Serotta/Pegoretti/White are expensive).
    M.Rushton
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    The rear stays on the top end Wiliers are a completely different shape to each other
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Pace were using assymetric stays in the early 90s on the RC200 frame. They also drilled out 105 headsets to make a pre-aheadset aheadset too (on the original RC100). Shame they never made a road frame... although how aerodynamic is square tubing?
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Is the answer to this 2 chainrings! - 2 cassettes - and two rear mechs too!!

Lawdy me, what manufacturer's do to sell the latest psuedo science; the body naturally compensates for alternate effort surely?

Or am I off beam here?

Don't think this technolgy would have made a scrap of difference in the case of Sean Kelly!
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    NervexProf wrote:
    Lawdy me, what manufacturer's do to sell the latest psuedo science; the body naturally compensates for alternate effort surely?

Or am I off beam here?

It's not the body that needs to compensate. It's the forces that are being applied to the frame and how they are transferred to the road, etc.

You may thing it's pseudo-science, but I suspect there is some real science behind it. Probably only talking about a very small percentage of wasted power, but over a 3-week Tour - it can make a difference.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Pokerface wrote:
    NervexProf wrote:

Or am I off beam here?

It's not the body that needs to compensate. It's the forces that are being applied to the frame and how they are transferred to the road, etc.

You may thing it's pseudo-science, but I suspect there is some real science behind it. Probably only talking about a very small percentage of wasted power, but over a 3-week Tour - it can make a difference.
    I defer to you - tho' not sure what the 'time' difference might be over a 3 week GC - do you?
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • prawny
    If they had hub gears it would be less of a problem :wink:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    You couldn't make this up. Bike companies spend a decade selling us bikes based on how amazingly, stupendously stiff and resistant to twisting forces they are when you're powering down the Champs at 1000 Watts, and then...

Strava is not Zen.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Slightly OT, will he still use elliptical sprockets?
  • prawny
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    Slightly OT, will he still use elliptical sprockets?

Probably not after the worlds :lol:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Makes perfect sense. As a trackie, Wiggins is naturally pre-disposed to continually turning left (sort of an anti-Zoolander). Building a frame that is shorter on the drive side will naturally compensate for this, helping Bradlee maintain a straight line.

Simples.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    NervexProf wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    NervexProf wrote:

Or am I off beam here?

I defer to you - tho' not sure what the 'time' difference might be over a 3 week GC - do you?

12 minutes and 47 seconds.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Valverde's, the rest of the Caisse team and many Pinarello customers have been using the asymmetric frame this year. Regardless of the design it's a nice frame to ride.
  • They are going to have to think of a better way of selling ther bikes to me than that .

What a load of rubbish --- unless of course they are taking in to consideration the difference in leg length of each rider who is riding the bike ?

:roll: Hey don't listen to my moaning I'm still riding a bike and racing on it which I bought or rather built myself in 1988 - yes I am proud to say that I can still beat people 20 years yonger than me who have bikes that cost more than my car :!:

I will come round to all this new stuff one day -- probably once the body has given up.

It is nonsence though People would be much better off spending their money on stuff that makes them actually fitter --- like the soon to be patented Glen Longland saddle bag full of bricks ---- a great training aid.

For those that don't know who Glen Longland is
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Best_All-rounder

Once I can get Glen Longlands permission to sell this idea I am going to be a rich beyond my wildest dreams.