Brakes question

Hadagan
Hadagan Posts: 72
edited December 2009 in MTB beginners
I have cantilever brakes on my mountain bike and in the dry they lock the wheels up if I want nice and good

In the wet they still stop me when pulled hard enough. From full pelt 30 mph they can stop me good enough

I just tried a mates Specialized with hydro brakes and nearly put me off the bike when I pulled em

The difference was amazing

Now here is the question....on say a Specialized Sorts disc ( http://www.msteelcycles.co.uk/Specializ ... d_639.html )

or ... ( http://www.msteelcycles.co.uk/Specializ ... d_638.html ) are these mech disc brakes much better than my canti's?

If you could give an out of 10 score what would you rate ...

1 - Cantilever

2 - V

3 - Mech disc

4 - Hydro disc

I am hooning it down red and black run at Chopwell Woods at the moment on my rigid frame old Townsend New Horizon using cantilever and its fun fun fun but tough going.
The do brakes do the job in wet and dry conditions and am used to them but I was wondering if disc brakes are just too powerful

Which of the two bikes above would be better suited for me ... is there much of a difference in the quality of the 2 bikes cos I like Specialized stuff and will buy one of them

Thanks in advance

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    The best comparison is to imagine them when they are a year old.

Personally I don't rate mechanical brakes over V-brakes. there is a slight advantage in that if the wheel is not true or the rim wet they can stop you better. However, most only pull on one side and use an adjustable nut on the otherside. So you will always be fiddling with adjustment.

The great thing about hydro brakes is that they will by and large self adjust.

I went from 160/160mm mechanical discs on my old bike to 203/185 Avid Juicy 7s which I bought used off e-bay. Even badly bled they were amazing by comparison. They are not far off my motorbikes brakes in terms of feel and modulation.

Its like drum car brakes vs ceramic brakes ;)
  • Dan Dare
    Dan Dare Posts: 367
    When I got my Hardrock disc in August it had Tektro mechanical disc brakes. It had been a while since I'd ridden a bike but they seemed to brake alot better than the cantilevers I used to have on my Diamond Back.

However after a few trips down to my local trails I found that they needed adjusting quite regularly (via an allen bolt on the opposite side to the mechanical piston like diy said).After about an hours riding and on some longer downhill sections in the Peak district I found I was pulling the levers almost until I was touching the handlebars with not much braking effect. I upgraded to hydraulic discs ( Avid Juicy 3's )and they have performed much better, with no fade over the course of a ride and with no adjustment needed mid trail. They also stop alot better too.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I forgot to add that neither of those bikes are any good.. Don't buy entry level specialized bikes you are buying a brand. See what you can pick up in the sales

I know its a bit more cash but you could get a rock hopper for a few more quid and avoid replacing most of it bit by bit
  • That advice was invaluable and is helping me make my choice

I may even go for a Carrera.......they seem pretty well specced
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    avid mech disks came with my bike and I have no issues with stopping power at all, although i am light (11st).

i'd agree they respond well to regular maintinance/adjustment but i've never had to do this out on the trail, takes about 5 mins including checking the pads and aligning/adjusting the calipers.

as for DIY's comments re: the hardrock, they get slated a bit on here and if you can afford better or get a bargain, great but FTR i get alot of good use out of mine.
  • ive never had disc brakes on my bikes so i cant comment on them but i have had just bout every v brake goin and IMO the shimano xtr v's out class any other ive tried!! 8)
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    ive never had disc brakes on my bikes so i cant comment on them but i have had just bout every v brake goin and IMO the shimano xtr v's out class any other ive tried!! 8)
    QFT. If Carlsberg made brakes, they'd make XTR Vs.