Clamp or Post?

misterben
misterben Posts: 193
edited December 2009 in The workshop
Due to unforseen circumstances (bad ratio of saddle:pelvis width :( ) I've ordered up a Saddle Bucket for my inherited 10-speed commuter. However, I realised (having placed the order) that my old bike only has a cheap old seatpost - no fixings for railings. Therefore:

Should I go for a saddle clamp, in which case do you know of a good stockist, as wiggle, CRC and dotbike don't seem to have them - should I try my LBS?

Or... should I bite the bullet and buy a brand new seatpost (there's no such thing as a free bike ;) ) in which case whats the best method to accurately measure the tubing on the seattube so that I get the right size?
mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
JediMoose.org

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Ask in the LBS when you walk in with a packet of biscuits, not a part you can buy new but the biscuits will mean you get a pre-owned clamp. Can't you take the old one of the old saddle? 14mm spanner and undo the nuts on both sides.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Old saddle was distinctly weird, and distinctly rail-less - the clamp is attached directly to the saddle, as far as I can tell.

I'll wander into the LBS when I have a moment, and see if I get any joy. Failing that, I'll just have to get a new seatpost :(
    mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
    JediMoose.org
  • Vegeeta
    Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
    The clamps retail for around £3.50 - £5.00 and ANY local bike shop will have one.

Also, please don't take biscuits to bike shops and ask them to give you second hand parts. They need to make a living and a 59p packet of biscuits doesn't pay many bills.
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
  • Vegeeta wrote:
    The clamps retail for around £3.50 - £5.00 and ANY local bike shop will have one.

Also, please don't take biscuits to bike shops and ask them to give you second hand parts. They need to make a living and a 59p packet of biscuits doesn't pay many bills.

I might be cheap, but I'm not _that_ cheap ;)

I actually picked up one for £2.50 from my LBS. Sadly, it looks like my new saddle (Charge Bucket) would "in theory" fit the clamp, in practice the edge of the saddle is too close to the rails to get it on, unless there is some magic trick that no-one's told me, so I'll be off to get a cheap seatpost now :(
    mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
    JediMoose.org
  • Bah. Turns out the bike I got given, with it's nice Peugeot Carbolite 103 frame, has the worlds most weird seatpost size (23.4mm). So, with a bit of ingenuity and a lot of brute force, I managed to get the clamp onto the Bucket after all. Bit late for Chrimbo now, so probably not back on the bike until New Year now :(
    mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
    JediMoose.org