"Get ON the clucking pavement!"

Mountainboy2465
Mountainboy2465 Posts: 121
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
At least that's what I think he said.

Just finished my last commute of the week as I am working from home tomorrow, 120 quality North Somerset miles over 3 days.

No more than 200 metres from home, at the top of a bit of a rise (Lower Church Road), about to head left when a car attempting to go down the hill was temporarily inconvenienced by me being in his road. No matter that he was 4 metres from the car in front.

It amused me, anyway - off to shower before heading back into town to plough into some pedestrians.

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Cyclists should start shouting "no you get on it" back to the cars. Just to see what they're reaction is.
  • Shouting 'Fuck Off' is easier and more to the point...
  • can you fake a north american accent?

we usually use the term pavement to refer to the actual road surface but we have enough lot of Brits here that most us get you mean "sidewalk" when you use pavement ...

but then yelling f&(K you and your mother usually suffices too... although certain cultures may find that even more offensive and try to run you over ( I learned this the hard way, I only got to safety by dismounting and going across a median he couldn't drive over... he didn't get out because I guess he was weak without his "cage". That being said I will ride there on my own accord when its a long uphill on a busy road when there is a lot of snow like we have if the walk does not have a lot of foot traffic....
    Cervelo Soloist
    Cervelo P2 (Carbon)
    Trek 4500
    some sort of cx bike

It's not that cold out, it's just a bit windy.

http://www.ridecalgary.blogspot.com

www.bikecalgary.org
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I had some woman walk off the pavement ikn front of me last night at a traffic lit junction, luckily I was slowing down anyway as the lights were red so I didn't hit her. She just walked off the edge of the road into the ASL box without the slightest glance behind her. I shouted "watch out", to which she responded "it's a red light, you know!" to which I explained that she was alking in the middle of the ASL box and was not crossing in the pedestrian crossing zone, which of course is fine, but if peds wish to do that, they at least need to check nothing's coming!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • can you fake a north american accent?

we usually use the term pavement to refer to the actual road surface but we have enough lot of Brits here that most us get you mean "sidewalk" when you use pavement ...

but then yelling f&(K you and your mother usually suffices too... although certain cultures may find that even more offensive and try to run you over ( I learned this the hard way, I only got to safety by dismounting and going across a median he couldn't drive over... he didn't get out because I guess he was weak without his "cage". That being said I will ride there on my own accord when its a long uphill on a busy road when there is a lot of snow like we have if the walk does not have a lot of foot traffic....

Is there a culture that doesn't find that offensive then? :wink:
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I have been in that situation (car trying to run you over after you rant at them) three times this year.
    In all three situation bike handling far surpasses car handling.

I sometimes tease them, waiting at walking distance but not car-reachable place, then they get out of the car, I speed off and stop when they start walking back to the car.

Managed to get this guy to leave his car in the middle of a roundabout for about 10 minutes... it was amusing.

In all three cases, my reaction was due to them attempting to take my life, just in case you were wondering. Which means they passed me at less than an inch distance in a dangerous way.

I am more than happy to chaingang with fellow riders and don't have a problem with close traffic when queueing at junctions... but deliberate assaults don't get ignored easily.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    fnegroni wrote:
    I have been in that situation (car trying to run you over after you rant at them) three times this year.

I sometimes tease them, waiting at walking distance but not car-reachable place, then they get out of the car, I speed off and stop when they start walking back to the car.

Managed to get this guy to leave his car in the middle of a roundabout for about 10 minutes... it was amusing.

In all three cases, my reaction was due to them attempting to take my life, just in case you were wondering. Which means they passed me at less than an inch distance in a dangerous way.

I am more than happy to chaingang with fellow riders and don't have a problem with close traffic when queueing at junctions... but deliberate assaults don't get ignored easily.

That level of intimidation should get reported to the Police.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    fnegroni wrote:

That level of intimidation should get reported to the Police.

I have.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    fnegroni wrote:

The answer is in this thread:
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    jimmypippa wrote:
    fnegroni wrote:

Ooo is it "d lock the ****!" :lol: ??? :lol:

I had a driver a couple of years back beep me for no reason and shouting to do the very same with regards pavement. It was not as if I was impeding his progress either, and yet he felt the need to lean right over his young child passenger swearing and pointing. Clever man, what an impression to leave on a young girls mind. :roll:
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    downfader wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:

Ooo is it "d lock the ****!" :lol: ??? :lol:

I had a driver a couple of years back beep me for no reason and shouting to do the very same with regards pavement. It was not as if I was impeding his progress either, and yet he felt the need to lean right over his young child passenger swearing and pointing. Clever man, what an impression to leave on a young girls mind. :roll:

Oh no, D-locks are so heavy.

Can you get Ti ones? Would there be a market for them (even if they didn't work?)