Do i really need a turbo trainer??

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
My main route to work and rides i like to go on are through country roads so not too happy at the minute to go where there is potential black ice, but im going slightly mad not being able to go on bike.

Am i going to have to get a turbo trainer?? main thing is ill prob have to do it in the garden, which i know ill look silly but nowhere really in house to do it

Dont want to fork out loads of money so thought about ebay, but there are so many types

anyone got any suggestions or any cheap ones for sale, can collect within bham area

thanks

Comments

• eyebee
    eyebee Posts: 257
    I have the same travel problems so I went for rollers. A great workout when I'm not able to get on the road. Only took me 10 minutes to get the hang of them and they offer a more challenging ride than a turbo. I use them outside under cover and even in freeing temperatures still sweat buckets. I have the tacx antares which also offer a resistance unit should I require it at a later date.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Its not that cold yet , its only just tipping sub zero

Cycled home in a sleet blizzard today it was lovely :D
    FCN 3/5/9
  • andy83

yea i know i should MTFU but its not that sort of cold that bothers me, its just the ice, and as most of my commute is on country lanes dont fancy risking it too much

might look into getting some rollers. need some new tyres anyway so maybe a good excuse to get some new wheels aswell :D
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I don't htink you need crappy wheels for rollers because the bike is free to move about just like on the road.

On a turbo the rear is alway contacting the same place so they wear out quicker.

I though about getting rollers, but prefer sitting on the sofa eating cake 8)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • On a turbo the rear is alway contacting the same place so they wear out quicker.
    ?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    You don't need a turbo trainer for commuting.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    On a turbo the rear is alway contacting the same place so they wear out quicker.
    ?
    The tyre, obviously. ;)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    You don't need a turbo trainer for commuting.

That would be daft, you wouldn't get to work very quickly!

:wink:
  • andy83
    prawny wrote:
    I don't htink you need crappy wheels for rollers because the bike is free to move about just like on the road.

I though about getting rollers, but prefer sitting on the sofa eating cake 8)

i like your prefered option aswell but i only work 3 days a week so get very twitcy and need to get on bike. not sure how silly ill look in the garden on rollers but at least gets me out and spose at least then can keep speedo on and see how far i actually go in my garden lol

just looked at the cost and they still quite expensive though :(
  • eyebee
    eyebee Posts: 257
    I think Wiggle offer the best deal , especially if you take advantage of the extra 20% discount they're offering at the moment. Still looking at around £100 though.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    If you have a mtb, take that out on the trails. If I'm going stir crazy, a turbo won't necessarily do the job for me; I need fresh air too. However, well worth it if you don't have the mtb option.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I have started to use a turbo trainer as I am commuting from Dartmouth to Exeter on a more regular basis (all the best will in the world I would not cycle that distance) just to keep my fitness going. Believe me get some music on or sit a TV in front of you when your on it, it gets very dull otherwise.

It is worth it though especially on the days you want to cycle but can't because of the weather.

Jake has just started using the rollers within the past few months and had seen a notable improvement in his stamina on the bike. I however am slightly put off especially after seeing him fall off the first time. :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • I've not done turbo training but recently bought a set of rollers so I can train after work / on seriously icy days etc and though they are v.spendy, I've found them good fun, if somewhat terrifying.

I like CJCP's MTB idea though and would probably do it if I a) lived in the country b) had an MTB and c) had any coordination.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    andy83 wrote:

yea i know i should MTFU but its not that sort of cold that bothers me, its just the ice, and as most of my commute is on country lanes dont fancy risking it too much

might look into getting some rollers. need some new tyres anyway so maybe a good excuse to get some new wheels aswell :D

I switched to my 26 " wheeled hybrid with slicks on now it is getting a bit dicey i know what you mean around 5-6 miles of my commute is on unlit counrty lanes with 2 farms so i can get some crap on the road and some dodgy corners .
    I tried using a well lit route on the roady but it was just to dangerous at 6 am with 1/2 awake lorry drivers nearly wiping me out nearly every day .

I must admit since its - 5 here today i am glad i am not out , i may be mad but not that mad that the wife's comments that i cannot go unheeded ,tried doing weights in the shed and was to cold for me to train properly .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • andy83
    thanks for replies

cycled to and from work today and although had to go slower only prob i occured was being told "get off the road you idiot" and getting mcdonalds cup threw at me

think im going to sort out the old mtb i have sitting at work someone gave me, needs new cables and a good clean. just got promotion at work so means i can afford a new bike in few months, so going to get into mtbing over the summer so i have summin to do in the winter

will see how many wiggle vouchers i get for xmas and see if i can get some rollers, or better still a new bike :D
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    I got in around 90 mins this weekend on mine, can be a PITA but its better than not being able to ride at all
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.