• Sorry Rodrego - I was referring to a recent news item:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/british ... ing-heroes

I didn't make that very clear originally, did I? :oops:
    Put a hump in your back
    Shake your sacroiliac
    And ride on
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I saw on another website, that it's because he pre-dates British Cycling (1959).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Even though he made a comeback within those 50 years (1970s?). Would've thought that'd be enough to swing him a mention, but yeah like all "Top 50 Best Eva OMG LOLZ" lists there are going to be considerable differences of opinion.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Even though he made a comeback within those 50 years (1970s?). Would've thought that'd be enough to swing him a mention, but yeah like all "Top 50 Best Eva OMG LOLZ" lists there are going to be considerable differences of opinion.

I don't make the rules. I'm just reporting what I'd read.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • 'British Cycling' ? What odd rules that preclude anyone who topped out before 1959. It's unclear to me why that is.

Post war, Reg Harris was as big as it was possible to get in this country. Also- same rules of course- Beryl Burton's precursor Eileen Sheridan : nary a mention. :?

Like any 'Best 50' lists of anything, they force you to wonder at who thought'em up.
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • It's a hall of fame to recognise anyone who has made a contribution to BC since it's inception 50 years ago.

Therefore it isn't unreasonable for anyone who falls outside of that 50 years to not be considered.

How about reading the criteria before criticising. We'll have people saying Henri Desgrange should be included next.
  • How about reading the criteria before criticising. We'll have people saying Henri Desgrange should be included next.

Indeed ! Given the criteria to read. Where would that be then ?

My source was 'cycling news' which was light on detail.

A bit wide of the mark with Desgrange. I'm not wholly a thicko, thanks. I did figure out that bit where they had to be Brit's.
  • Yes, I just had a look at BC's site.

However, to any passing foreigner, or oik, perusing that list would likely think that British cycling has no history beyond 50 years. They will not know that ''British Cycling' was formerly the 'British Cycling Federation' -which is a more explicit and exact term - and is an organisation and not British cycling in general.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Well it is a bit odd calling it a "hall of fame" when it's really only the best of the last 50 years. I read the CN article earlier today and didn't make the distinction.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    BC's always had an inward looking touch to it. A shame Percy Stallard wasn't on the list.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Chris Hoy? David Duffield? Dave Lloyd?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    ju5t1n wrote:
    Chris Hoy?
    No currently active riders are on the list - you can only enter the Hall when you hang your wheels up apparently.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Two sheds wrote:
    ..no mention of Reg Harris.
    No mention of GB's only road race Olympic medallist in the last 50 years either.
  • Bronzie wrote:
    ju5t1n wrote:
    Chris Hoy?
    No currently active riders are on the list - you can only enter the Hall when you hang your wheels up apparently.

And to have dutifully paid your sub's to BC, I expect. :roll:
  • You surely don't begrudge our self-appointed guardians from blowing their own trumpet do you? :lol:
  • No mention of GB's only road race Olympic medallist in the last 50 years either.
    hmm...well, there have been 2 that I can think of, for starters. But both of them are still active - one as a rider, one as a coach - thus not eligible.
    Good to see Peter Keen getting the recognition.