Hydraulic rim brakes any good

Hadagan
Hadagan Posts: 72
edited December 2009 in MTB beginners
Im looking at a Specialized bike on eBay that has all I want .... but the brakes are hydraulic rim brakes

Its appx 2002 era

It has mounts for discs which is good so I could upgrade at some point

The old hydraulic rim brakes any good at stopping ( not specifically this bike but in general )??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    I've never seen Hydro rims! Cool, but doesn't it generate too much pressure which would buckle the rim?
    Craig Rogers
  • the pressure is fine.

they are very good, but suffer some of the complaints of both hydros and rim brakes, need a pretty true wheel, wear rims, slight loss of power in the wet (not as bad as v's though) occasional bled etc.

I'd go for it, you can normally get about £60-£100 for a second hand set depending on condition and model.
  • x-isle wrote:
    I've never seen Hydro rims! Cool, but doesn't it generate too much pressure which would buckle the rim?
    Eh?!
    There are people who don't know about Magura HS33 and the wonderful 6mm aluminium horseshoe?!

They're a fiddle to set but work brilliantly once they're on. They were the staple for trials riders till quite recently. They perform less well in the wet than discs because the rim collects muck more easily than disc rotors.

Generally I think the stroke of the pads is too small do collapse the side walls of a rim, remember that hydraulic doesn't always mean high pressure - It's to do with the ratio between piston diameters in the same way that cable force is a ratio between the leverage on the brake lever and the brake cantilever.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    jr's mate has some Magura brakes on his Onza trials bike. They are most excellent - like silky smooth XTR V-brakes.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    ^what they say. magura hydro rim brakes are very good. definitely the choice in muddy conditions if you can't have discs (which are still better IMO)

they can wear rims quickly as the pressure they exert is high (pads much smaller than Vs) but they are stil very popular ith XC guys over here.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • ^what they say. magura hydro rim brakes are very good. definitely the choice in muddy conditions if you can't have discs (which are still better IMO)

I thought about getting some of the white HS33 for my inbred build, but decided getting a disc mount welded on, the v-bosses ground off and the frame powdercoated would be better!
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    used to love my old magura brakes they were awesome!
  • I currently use Magura HS33 and they are great if a bit difficult to set up initially. No squeal either.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    They're not really a sensible option any more on an new build as they're as expensive as a set of disc brakes. You can quite easily see off a rim in a ride with them too if you use them for XC.

But, they are very, very, very powerful in the dry and superb for trials riding. Loved my set.
  • Very good advice

Many thanks
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they do limit the tyre width you can use.

and wear rims out fast.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Good point. I remember using them with IRC missiles (before they went to those rubbish sidewalls on the Kujos) which were 2.35 and getting a bit tight for fit. I had 121 ceramics though so never noticed rim wear.

Red walled tyres, yellow brakes. All you needed to be any good at trials.