A road bike from CycleScheme bike to work

benvendetta
benvendetta Posts: 13
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
My company has just signed up to CycleScheme and I am looking to get a road bike to compliment my Commencal mountain bike and Carrera hybrid commuter.
I know little about true road bikes but want to get a good one at the £1000 mark. I particularly like the look of the Cannondale CAAD 9 with Tiagra kit although a CAAD 8 with 105 is the same price (but the frame is not USA made).
Would the Cannondale be a safe bet? I originally fancied a carbon fibre Boardman but the scheme does not deal with Halfords. I have heard good things about the Planet X carbon fibre bike at the same price but unfortunately they are only viewable in a store up north.
Does anyone have any other recommendations at the price?
Also, Cannondales come in a wide range of sizes. I would want a smallish one as I am only 5' 6" (a 50cm or 52cm would seem to sound OK) but with most shops only stocking medium frames to try (in all makes of bikes) the likes of small guys lose out when it comes to casual bike store visits.
Any small guys here ride Cannondales?
Turner 5 Spot (Shimano XTR/XT/Saint)
Planet X Pro Carbon (Shimano Ultegra)
Cannondale CAAD9 (Shimano Tiagra)
Boardman Hybrid Team (Sram Apex)

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    CAAD9, but try to stretch to 105 if possible. :D
    Cycling weakly
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Reddragon has nothing but praise for the CAAD9.

The Boardman team carbon is also a very popular choice by forum members.
  • My company has just signed up to CycleScheme and I am looking to get a road bike to compliment my Commencal mountain bike and Carrera hybrid commuter.
    I know little about true road bikes but want to get a good one at the £1000 mark. I particularly like the look of the Cannondale CAAD 9 with Tiagra kit although a CAAD 8 with 105 is the same price (but the frame is not USA made).
    Would the Cannondale be a safe bet? I originally fancied a carbon fibre Boardman but the scheme does not deal with Halfords. I have heard good things about the Planet X carbon fibre bike at the same price but unfortunately they are only viewable in a store up north.
    Does anyone have any other recommendations at the price?
    Also, Cannondales come in a wide range of sizes. I would want a smallish one as I am only 5' 6" (a 50cm or 52cm would seem to sound OK) but with most shops only stocking medium frames to try (in all makes of bikes) the likes of small guys lose out when it comes to casual bike store visits.
    Any small guys here ride Cannondales?

I'm 5' 8 and a bit and ride a 54 CAAD9 so I'd guess you'd be fine with a 52 or 50. A decent bike shop should get you one or both in, no strings, to try first.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • The CAAD9 is a fantastic bit of kit btw
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Yep - love my CAAD9 - very pleased I had the encouragement from the people on this forum to go out and buy one. Last bit of confidence came from a guy in a tri shop I telephoned who said his boss had the pick of bikes in the shop but rode to work everyday on a caad9 tiagra.

I am 5'7'', 30'' inside leg and the 52 fits me well. Obviously try for size somewhere and if you cant get the price you want make a big cup of tea and go to the Cannondale website and work your way through the list of stockists and call them up. You can check on the web but in my experience I was disappointed when the stock wasnt actually there.
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • For that kind of cash I'd have a look at the Raleigh Avanti in either the Pro or race version (both should be about that price). 105 equipped, very lightweght and I've had nothing but good things from mine (go for compact groupset ).

Very light for climbing and really quick on the flat you'd do worse then this bike
  • Thanks for your replies. I did have a look at the Raleigh (actually saw it before the Cannondale) and although I am sure it is a great bike, it still has the Raleigh badge on the headtube. Now I know that these sorts of things matter to some people but given the choice between a Cannondale CAAD9 frame and a Raleigh Avanti most people I guess would go for the former.
    Anyway, I have read some good things about the CAAD9, both in these threads and elsewhere and today I pushed the button and applied for a voucher to get the CAAD9 Tiagra compact. I guess that this frame will be with me for some time and I can upgrade the bits with higher end Shimano stuff when I need too.
    The store which quoted for the bike (Southfork Racing, Braunton in Devon) told me that they would get in both a 50cm and a 52cm so at least I should get the right size. Just a matter of choosing a colour..................white or matt black.
    Turner 5 Spot (Shimano XTR/XT/Saint)
    Planet X Pro Carbon (Shimano Ultegra)
    Cannondale CAAD9 (Shimano Tiagra)
    Boardman Hybrid Team (Sram Apex)