Steel pro's and con's

skinman
skinman Posts: 14
edited December 2009 in MTB general
Like it says. Never owned a steel bike but looking at getting one this would be a Mtb thanks. Worry'd about rust is this an issues.

Comments

• Rust isn't an issue. Your can buy some specific MTB spray to protect inside should you wish to.

I prefer the feel of a steel ride than alu, but I can't really say why.... I just do :lol:

I will say that I almost always find alu to be a softer ride, but I don't know if thats against the trend of what other poeple think!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Rust isn't a problem, I just took all the paint off an 18 year old Tange steel frame which was commuted on for a decade then abandoned, it has mild surface rust but nothing problematic at all.

Really, material is just one factor... You can have a stiff steel frame or a compliant ally frame, despite the stereotypes.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Rust isn't an issue. Your can buy some specific MTB spray to protect inside should you wish to.

Wish I'd though of that :roll: .

But rust an't really an issue - certainly shouldn't stop you from buying a steel frame, the little rust that does occur can be easily prevented. The are various products to coat the inside of a steel frame, some work better than others :roll: .
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Apart from the look and feel, there's not a sausage of difference.

I'd be more interested in what the bike's designed for than what it's made of.
  • Well as you ask it's the whyte 19 steel I like the ti but to much for me.