Best tyres

mayonaise
mayonaise Posts: 159
edited January 2010 in XC and Enduro
Hi, what tyres would you recommend for a newbie XC rider?

Surface conditions will be dry in the summer but moist/wet any other time. No mud riding.

Also could you specify whether the tyre would be better suited for the front or rear - or both.

Thanks.

Comments

• you ideally want different tyres in different conditions...

I like the razer mx in the dry...
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    mayonaise wrote:
    what tyres would you recommend for a newbie XC rider?
    Nic F & R are good all-rounders. Swap the back for a Ralph if it's dry or a thinner Nic/Medusa/Dirty Dan if it's wet.

High Roller XC F & Crossmark R is a good 3-season combo.

Intense EX/DC very grippy, less expensive than Nics but heavier.

Maxxis Advantage good on loose terrain.
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Check out Schwalbe Rocket Rons - not cheap, but a great all round tyre.
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    No mud riding! seems to cut a lot of months out of the riding calendar. :)
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • I'm a fan of the Race King Supersonics at the moment. I use 2.2s front and back on my Boardman.
  • Maxxis makes some all terrain stuff.

I don't know if you can get Geax in your country,but I'm currently using their Barro Mountain tyres and loving them. Great for all conditions unless you really push the limits.
    Specialized Tarmac Sworks
    Canyon Spectral 8.9
  • Schwalbe Nobby Nic on the front and Racing Ralph on the rear in wet conditions (with no mud), or Racing ralph front and back in all damp to dry conditions, always tubeless using Stans No Tubes, very rarely puncture.
  • glen4
    glen4 Posts: 250
    roffnready wrote:
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic on the front and Racing Ralph on the rear in wet conditions (with no mud), or Racing ralph front and back in all damp to dry conditions, always tubeless using Stans No Tubes, very rarely puncture.

is that with standard NNs or RRs or is it the tubeless version you use??
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • Ive got NNs on front and RRs on back in summer. Then for winter switch RRs for Kenda Nevegal as the Schwalbes are meant to be 'summer fast rolling' tyres.
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • I have been looking at those panaracer fires. I need a new rear tyre so thinking of investing in one. Loads left on my front though! :lol:
    Only the strong survive.... Keep low move fast
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Nobby Nics, High Rollers, or Nevegals probably. Nevegal 2.1s would be my call, not the fastest but they're great allrounders.
    Uncompromising extremist