Mud mud glorious mud

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
What the secret to cleanish winter country commuting?

I'm getting tired of getting covered in mud and muck twice a day everyday, it almost seems pointless cleaning my cycle gear and bike, within minutes of hitting the road i'm covered again. I've tried avoiding the obvious bad stuff but what with all the rain and the not being able to see in the dark, it's wearing a little thin now.

Cycling in a wet suit perhaps?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• itboffin wrote:

I'm getting tired of getting covered in mud and muck twice a day everyday, it almost seems pointless cleaning my cycle gear and bike, within minutes of hitting the road i'm covered again. I've tried avoiding the obvious bad stuff but what with all the rain and the not being able to see in the dark, it's wearing a little thin now.

full mud guards? this is assuming you don't have them fitted already?
  • itboffin
    Mudguards?

Yeh several kinds race blade type things, I suspect the front is causing most of the problems, typically the one that doesn't fit that well.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    Mudguards?

Yeh several kinds race blade type things, I suspect the front is causing most of the problems, typically the one that doesn't fit that well.

Get Mr Cruds - vastly superior.
  • I just aim for the biggest, muddiest puddles and shout "WEEEEEEEE!" as I go through them. Don't mince about, get muddy. It's ace. And even better if you are using the train, as I sometimes do in the winter, cos people look at you like have three heads.
    Or fit mud guards. Good reviews about the Crud ones, but I dont use any. I'll be getting some Crud ones in the new year for my new bike or resurected Kona.
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • itboffin
    Right so the other thing with mud guards, small stones and clumps of mud, does anyone else have problems with them getting stuck in between the guards and the tyres?
  • if it's properly muddy then lightweight waterproofs worn over nothing but cycling short and glasses.

take waterproofs off at work, then put on to cycle home.
  • itboffin wrote:
    Right so the other thing with mud guards, small stones and clumps of mud, does anyone else have problems with them getting stuck in between the guards and the tyres?

no but the bike has massive clearances any way, 38mm tires and the guards still have plenty of space, my commute though short does get a little flooded from time to time. and the guards do the job.

assuming the guards you have are wide enough, then hopefully a bit more fettling should get you if not dry at least much less muddy.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    itboffin wrote:

Just you then :wink:
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Just you then :wink:

It's because i'm nails :lol:
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Race blades are hopeless.

Proper SKS guards, zero maintainance, no muck.
  • forcutty
    forcutty Posts: 1,055
    Grin and bear it and man up :wink:

Or fit decent mudguards!!!
  • Aguila wrote:
    Race blades are hopeless.

Proper SKS guards, zero maintainance, no muck.

While I agee whole heartedly I doubt any of ITB's various bikes have the necessary holes for a set of SKS guards :wink:

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    You could try moving somewhere vaguely civilised, so you don't have to cycle across fields? :)
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Proper SKS Chromoplastics if yer bike'll take them, otherwise get yourself a commuting bike that does !

(or Mr. Crud's, mud & grit will make a noise but the guards just flex out of the way)

Or work from home :-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • itboffin wrote:
    Get used to it. :) Roads are pretty clean (even country lanes) compared to the muddy canal towpath I use for my commute. All this and I don't bother with mudguards either. Don't like the looks and also I fear they would get clogged with mud (based on the amount that cakes on to the bike).

On pretty much every wet day I have to rinse all the mud off my bike just to make it rideable for the next day. Same applies to clothes.

And now you know how I came up with the idea for my forum nym.

Mike