Does anyone use their full susser to commute?

Naveed
Naveed Posts: 728
edited December 2009 in MTB general
I'm thinking of doing this as I only really use my full susser 3 times per week. I'm just a bit worried that if I also use it for commuting I'll ware the components out. If I use it for my daily commute and mtbing the bike will be in use at least 6 days per week.

Someone did tell me that the more you use a bike the better it gets, hope this is true.

Comments

• El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Have done a few times in the summer - on both the NRS and the Coiler. Not that much difference in time/effort used. You're tyres are going to be the main issue with components wearing though.

Might be worth asking in the commuter section regarding how long other people's components last. For me, 20 miles a day, 3 or 4 days a week on a commuter bike, I'd get through a set of tyres every 18 months, a cassette every 9 months and a chain every 3 months (reliability was more of an issue than the expense here). I didn't get through that many brake blocks, but then I'm quite light on brakes.
  • Naveed
    Naveed Posts: 728
    Cheers for that, it was quite helpful. I was going to run Schalwbe big apples for tyres but I was more worried about wearing out the disc brakes because replacing pads is an expernsive pain especially due to wet weather.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Wet roads don't kill brake pads, wet, gritty, muddy rides kill brake pads.

Besides, you'll be braking a hell of a lot less on the road than you ever will on an offroad ride.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I have avid BB7s on my commuter. After 5000km this year (was new last Xmas) they are still on the original pads so I wouldn't worry about that. IME it's grit in there that accellerates pad wear.

do make sure you change your chain regularly though, to avoid munching though your cassette / chainrings.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Yep.. monday - friday, without fail. I ride my Mount Vision (With 2.1 Nobby Nics), and to be honest, don't worry too much about part replacements, as things wear out and need replacing over time regardless of what you're using the bike for.

That said, my commute to work is about a mile each way, so it barely counts.. :oops:
  • Loads of Apollo double bouncer riders commuting to work here. Some are as fast as f***!

The basic principle is the more times you use your bike (off-road/commute), the more value for money it is. The other benefits are the bike gets run in, you get to feel the bike much more and your pristine bike will soon look like it's been ridden by an expert ie, scratches, chips and rust :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    I think the idea that a bike gets better the more you use it is cobblers. The reality is that everything will wear out more quickly if you are riding more miles plus you are much less likely to keep everything clean and well-oiled if it's a job you have to face up to every day after coming in from work, which means that wear can be accelerated.

If you have another bike, I would use that for commuting and save your baby for the trails, but if it's the FS or the train, bus, car, then bugger the expense of replacing the parts and get on the bike.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    Naveed wrote:
    I'm thinking of doing this as I only really use my full susser 3 times per week. I'm just a bit worried that if I also use it for commuting I'll ware the components out. If I use it for my daily commute and mtbing the bike will be in use at least 6 days per week.

Someone did tell me that the more you use a bike the better it gets, hope this is true.

So you wear your sussies 3 times a week ...

Didn't know you were a cross dresser ,,,, :P

Seriously ... though A bike is built to last only if the owner looks after it ..And I very much doubt your ride will be scoobied after a few months ...
  • haha i have been known to use my 50lb DH/FR rig for the odd commute or trip to the shops!!
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    I used an orange 5 full suss for a season or to. It was fine. It pissed me off in the end as I wanted a lses bouncy, easy ride. But the bike was just fine, as long as you take care of it it'll be ok.
    Ps. I used big aples as well I *think*. They were really good.
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I guess I'll be using mine when the snow comes, it's the only mtb I have with a big ring :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    its the chav code of conduct to cycle around the streets on a FS , although mostly on
    cheapo appollo's and asda specials :lol:
    probably best to devise some sort of weekly maintainence program whether you ride 5 or
    50 miles a week and stick to it if the bikes valuable.
    or get a cheap run-a-round.