I need help??

Cafewanda
Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Since babygirl arrived I've taken to talking to her. Full blown talks when indoors and in my head when outdoors. TodayI had intended to PT to work as I'm out to lunch all afternoon and didn't want to leave her in the bike park overnight but, as per usual, I looked out the window decided to bike it and got my layers ready.

Got to the bike park and - out loud - said to babygirl "Bye hun, see you tomorrow. Sorry I won't be riding you tonight". I then apologised for not cleaning her last night. Fortunately I was the only person in there at the time :shock: :oops: :oops:

On another note I wore 3 pairs of gloves this morning and only lost feeling in my thumb. This was on a 5.5 mile ride so Lord knows how I'd feel if my journey was longer :( I might try adding a pair of disposable gloves to see if that helps.

Comments

• I can fully symapthise. Since getting knocked off I keep stroking my Kona, hoping she will get better soon. Have also had the Spesh in the house (dont tell the wife) cleaning with babywipes etc... She is gleaming! Cant wait to give her a go ......
    Talking to bikes isnt a problem. Its when they start to reply that I go to the doctors.
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • Maybe 5 1/2 miles isn't long enough to properly warm up - I never feel up to full operating temp til the 8 mile mark
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • 3 gloves though :D

Talking to your bike seems to be a bit of the norm, the "harder" chaps on here won't admit to it but you know they do...

CJ probably holds a skull while giving his beasts a bit of Hamlet to perk them up in the morning :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Cafewanda wrote:
    On another note I wore 3 pairs of gloves this morning and only lost feeling in my thumb. This was on a 5.5 mile ride so Lord knows how I'd feel if my journey was longer :( I might try adding a pair of disposable gloves to see if that helps.

Nooooooo, that is not natural. Fair enough up here, but in London? Surely not even below zero?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Cafewanda wrote:

Nooooooo, that is not natural. Fair enough up here, but in London? Surely not even below zero?

Actually today its -2 Mr Wallace! I know... shocking really.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Cafewanda
    Wallace, I can't stand the cold. Never could. It's been a source of amusement within my family that this particular UK-born child of Jamaican descent can't handle it.

Running at this time of year is normally 2 pairs (club members laugh :roll: ), last night was 3 pairs, but my fingers were warm - yay!!
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Well, not so good then. I dont feel the cold too much, so 1 pair of gloves in always enough. -2 is cold, but not exceptionally cold. Bracing I would call it....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    It's my toes that get it - even when driving! I can wear a couple of pairs of socks and have the hot blower on them and still they are freezing!

Anyone know if we can get battery powered heated socks for when I'm back on the bike?
    us0.png
  • FeynmanC wrote:
    Anyone know if we can get battery powered heated socks for when I'm back on the bike?

Close :D . I think you can get heated insoles. ISTR a review of something like that on bikeradar last winter.

Mike
  • http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes ... cid=133635

And Christmas is just around the corner.....
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Wallace, I can't stand the cold. Never could. It's been a source of amusement within my family that this particular UK-born child of Jamaican descent can't handle it.

Running at this time of year is normally 2 pairs (club members laugh :roll: ), last night was 3 pairs, but my fingers were warm - yay!!

That was a problem in the Korean war. Black UN soldiers were far more prone to frostbite than people of more northern ancestry.

My wife studied anthropology, and there are several different "strategies" the body adopts in response to cold, and a lot of the response seems to have a genetic basis.

Inuit have particular tolerance of cold. (wonder why?)
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Gloves and other insulating things work by trapping a layer of air between you and the outside world. I imagine having 3 pairs of gloves on they're pretty snug, so there won't be much air space inside the gloves. Try a thin pair of woollen liner gloves, and then a pair of bulkier, over-sized windproof gloves over that (try them on this way in the shop). Failing that, mitts instead of gloves.

And as for talking to my bikes ... not quite :P but I've been known to spend much time ogling them after I've given them a good clean and they're nice and shiny again :)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Gloves need the air to circulate - if the're too snug they can cut off the circulation and in extreme circumstances lead to frostbite - not that that's likely to happen on the commute.

My bike is evil - I worry if I leave it with other bikes it'll chew their tyres
  • Vegeeta
    Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
    Get some Endura Tundra gloves. They'll work I promise!
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    CJ probably holds a skull while giving his beasts a bit of Hamlet to perk them up in the morning :D

:wink: (I shock them with a cattle prod.)

@CW - You shouldn't need three pairs of gloves. A baselayer and outer glove should be fine. You just have to get the right fit. Your experience shows how it's worth spending money on a good pair of gloves.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Cafewanda
    My variety of gloves so far are:

Primark £1 specials (2 pairs)
    Tesco fleece £1
    Sealskin (size medium I think as wore that with Tesco fleece and flimsy silk lining gloves)
    Sheepskin mittens
    Sheepskin gloves (flimsy and not well made :x )
    Boots cotton gloves senior running club member swore would help me but they failed miserably :roll:

I wear a combination of the above but not tried the mittens whilst cycling as not certain would have enough control of the bike.

Vegeeta, I'll investigate. Iain-J - I think my Sealskinz are meant to be windproof.

Maybe I should move to the tropics and come back in April :D
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Sealskins are wind and supposedly waterproof but not very warm - try to get a fleece inner and a waterproof/windproof outer but make sure they're big enough for air to circulate - if they're too tight they just conduct cold air from the outside onto your fingertips
  • Sealskins are wind and supposedly waterproof but not very warm -
    They are both wind and waterproof in my experience and I've also found them pretty warm as well. I tend to wrap the glove cuff around my base layer sleeve at the wrist. This stops the cold wind getting in the gap in between and keeps my fingers much warmer.

Mike
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    FeynmanC wrote:
    It's my toes that get it - even when driving! I can wear a couple of pairs of socks and have the hot blower on them and still they are freezing!

http://www.heated-gloves.co.uk/heated-b ... 4wod1nXaIQ

And i had a pair of nice winter gloves that some bugger stole of my bike when i forgot to pick them up :x
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Cafewanda
    Those heated gloves look interesting :)