Cycling Clubs, what do you expect...?

hopper1
hopper1 Posts: 4,389
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
I've been in a club for almost a year, and, to tell the truth, I'm not too impressed!
I joined thinking that, it would be good to ride with others, instead of getting bored sh1tless on my own. Plenty of experience to draw on. Like minded others to go racing with, etc...
So far it has cost me £12 membership and about £100 for a top and a skin suit (never used :shock: )
I have gained more from you guys in this forum, than my club.
So, what do you guys get from your clubs?
I have only seen about three members, and had to go out of my way to do that.
I don't mind contributing to the club...
Did I chose a lemon? :?
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

Comments

• pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Seems like you sure got fleeced big time.............is the club even running anymore (not that I'm looking for a name and shame) :P

Did they even meet regularly on a Sunday for a ride? How many members did the club have? And what did it offer compared to the other clubs in the Norfolk area? That's just three of the many variables that distinguish differnet clubs from another.

If you're bored, try looking on the BCF website, it should give you more info on clubs in your part of the country. Not that I needed to find my current club in that way, but it might help you if you were going in blind and just went straight to your nearest one. As it turned out the four clubs nearest to me are all virtually the same distance from where I live, give or take a mile! Maybe you'll find the same.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    as JFK once said....."ask not what your club can do for you - ask what you can do for your club..."
  • pianoman
    as JFK once said....."ask not what your club can do for you - ask what you can do for your club..."

In that case I guess your club goes out on recruitment drives to scout for the best local talent - to see what the fast lads can do for them? Or is it another attempt at soft humour :shock:

LOL, here comes the S Factor (S stands for SPEED) :D
  • softlad
    what I'm saying, in a round about way, is that if you don't put much in to a club, you won't get much out. Sitting back and expecting everything on a plate might be the 'modern way', but it doesn't really work very well.....

Hopper - whose fault is it that you've never used the skinsuit - the club's..???
  • pianoman
    if you don't put much in to a club, you won't get much out.

Correct, as with everything in life.

Though what exactly, when it comes to cycling? Do you mean the amount of training you need to do to stay with the fast riders or do you mean that you should be exiled from the club if you won't help with Go-Ride activities? Not to have a go at either venture, but committing to one's own training for the benefit of the club, and being a youth development officer are two different things.

Looks like either the people who sold the skinsuit are excellent at salesmanship, or you bought the skinsuit and then didn't bother to do any time trials - neither is particularly excusable if you ask me. Ok, maybe that's a bit harsh, you CAN claim either point as an excuse, but it won't put the money back in your bank account...........
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    So, did you not get involved too much or do they not organise much? I guess a bit of both seeing as you didn;t meet many member and haven't used your kit much.

As Pianoman said, do some research and pick carefully. I'm similar to you. I am 9 months in a club, but have a completey different perspective. I did a fair amount of research on all the clubs in the area before joining, asked some questions on this forum and spoke to some members of local clubs when I could. Loads of clubs were welcoming, some were not. I also arranged to ride with my final choice of club before deciding to join.

Net result is that I have been riding chaingangs and evening rides every week since joining, I have also participated in weekend club runs when I can. In April last year I started doing the club 10 mile time trials and then moved onto to road racing. It's not a big road racing club, so I have spent most of the season racing alone (probably my only gripe), but when I have had club mates riding it has added another dimension and I have enjoyed it. There have been a few socials I have been on and everyone has been really friendly. I have now started doing the winter track and I have been doing the cyclocross races, both of which are more popular in the club that road racing, so it has been an opportunity to get to know a few more members.

I even started going to committee meetings and I have volunteered for a role on the committee which was accepted, so I am properly involved now!

It was hard work at first trying to fit into a routine with the club that I wasn't used to and it is never easy getting to know everyone, but getting the right club in the first place then being a regular on the runs/socials and other events really makes a difference. :D
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    If you must join a fringe club then you get what you deserve :wink:

Always welcome over here in the big city for a ride. Will be getting a decent kit soon as well. :D

http://www.vcnorwich.co.uk/

If you're a really good boy you get to ride with an Olympic silver medalist as well!
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    I joined a club in July when I was new to road cycling
    Had a great time but it wasn't immediately obvious about what was going on and you do need to make an effort.
    Now, am racing CX every other weekend, club type rides Sat and Sunday
    Track sessions through the summer on a Friday night and plenty of people to go riding with
    But you do need to get established IMO- a lot of the guys have been riding a while and don't fall over themselves to welcome newcomers(not unfriendly just established patterns etc). However once you are seen around a bit things start to open up and plenty of encouragement
  • a lot of the guys have been riding a while and don't fall over themselves to welcome newcomers(not unfriendly just established patterns etc).

Nice, I like that and more to the point explains a lot; we could consider that fact that the club is a bit of a lemon, or it lacks leadership.
    Hopper1 why do you not try and organise an event, speak to the members, as softlad put it “get off your arse and do something about it” btw I can guarantee you will get more from organising an event than just taking part in it.

Furthermore by doing that your kudos within the group dynamic will elevate :wink:
  • hopper1
    softlad wrote:
    what I'm saying, in a round about way, is that if you don't put much in to a club, you won't get much out. Sitting back and expecting everything on a plate might be the 'modern way', but it doesn't really work very well.....

Hopper - whose fault is it that you've never used the skinsuit - the club's..???

Ok, softlad, I take it you're playing devils advocate!

I know that what I get out of a club will be relative to what I put in.
    Joining a club, then jumping straight in and saying 'well, I'm gonna arrange this, or that' is not going to really work, is it?
    I haven't used the skinsuit, but I don't think I blamed the club for that, I just highlighted it as part of my yearly expense.
    The club arranges Sunday runs, very thinly populated.
    No chain gangs.
    No midweek runs.
    When I go out, I rarely see another club shirt on my ride.
    It is a small club, maybe that makes a difference.
    Choices are:
    Dig in for another year, and push more for what I'm looking for, maybe more activity would help the clubs future...
    Leave and start again...
    I think it's best to stay on for another year, but wanted to know what others experience in their clubs. :wink:
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Why join a club if you've only met 3 members?
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Our club has over 300 members, only a third of these will go on club runs, hell even I don't generally go on the club runs at the moment. I rarely see our club shirt when cycling on my own.

Our club is a big club, and runs lots of events, be they racing or social. If it is a small club, then perhaps you are expecting too much. If you have a skinsuit, get out there and race, you don't need the clubmates to do this.
  • softlad
    hopper1 wrote:

Joining a club, then jumping straight in and saying 'well, I'm gonna arrange this, or that' is not going to really work, is it?
    I haven't used the skinsuit, but I don't think I blamed the club for that, I just highlighted it as part of my yearly expense.
    No chain gangs.
    No midweek runs.

I'm guessing you haven't worn the skinsuit because you haven't ridden any time trials. And the reason you probably haven't ridden any is that you probably haven't entered any.

As for the rest, you pays yer money and takes yer choice. I've always preferred 'small' clubs. I used to belong to a very small and 'race-focused' team and we were spread across quite a wide area. So the only time we would ever see each other was at the races, mostly. I did go out on regular chain gangs and training runs, but these were usually 'informal' gatherings, through getting to know local riders and meeting points, rather than club-specific activities. Most of the chain gangs and other rides would have a number of club jerseys in the pack....

Which kind of brings me back to my original point. Don't just sit there and wait for the phone to ring.....
  • hopper1
    softlad wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:

No chain gangs.
    No midweek runs.

I'm guessing you haven't worn the skinsuit because you haven't ridden any time trials. And the reason you probably haven't ridden any is that you probably haven't entered any.

As for the rest, you pays yer money and takes yer choice. I've always preferred 'small' clubs. I used to belong to a very small and 'race-focused' team and we were spread across quite a wide area. So the only time we would ever see each other was at the races, mostly. I did go out on regular chain gangs and training runs, but these were usually 'informal' gatherings, through getting to know local riders and meeting points, rather than club-specific activities. Most of the chain gangs and other rides would have a number of club jerseys in the pack....

Which kind of brings me back to my original point. Don't just sit there and wait for the phone to ring.....

Aye, you're right.
    I'll just get my head down and plug on, something will have to give... :wink:

Now... where's my skinsui.........
  • I think we are pretty good to our club members. Obviously, too far from you, but have a look at our web site if you have time to see what a "good" (well, I hope we are) club has to offer.
    http://www.withamwheelers.co.uk/
  • pianoman
    It's true that some clubs will be better organised than others, but then that's also a reflection of how pro-active the members are.

I think it's rather hypocritical to say the least when people complain about the lack of racing/time trialling opportunities at their club and THEN won't make the effort to go looking for such events. No-one says you have to have a mass club entry into any such event. And not every club even holds one - why not look on the time trials website and find a course near you hosted by any nearby club, that your club mates could join you at? You might even beat them, if they're as slow as me :D
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Ive joined 2 clubs. Beacon RCC were incredibly welcoming - and very helpful as I was very nervous on my first run. Im not into racing although entered one hill climb event.

Ive now joined a club closer to home - but received the same friendly welcome. Theres always someone up for a ride on sunday mornings - which is really all I want.

I would say you have been unlucky with your choice of club.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    They're funny out on the Narfolk coast. Perhaps you should try looking for another club further inland?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • hopper1
    PianoMan wrote:
    It's true that some clubs will be better organised than others, but then that's also a reflection of how pro-active the members are.

I think it's rather hypocritical to say the least when people complain about the lack of racing/time trialling opportunities at their club and THEN won't make the effort to go looking for such events. No-one says you have to have a mass club entry into any such event. And not every club even holds one - why not look on the time trials website and find a course near you hosted by any nearby club, that your club mates could join you at? You might even beat them, if they're as slow as me :D

I never blamed it on lack of events...
    This year I marshalled at 4 club events (TT & RR), I didn't enter, as I was down on training time, so thought it best to marshal (help out).
    It's more the lack of weekday/ night training rides. I can't even find out what time the Sunday run starts now, could be 08:00, or 08:30!
    I'll make the effort if there's somewhere to direct it.
    It's a small club, maybe too small.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    hopper1 wrote:
    PianoMan wrote:

This year I marshalled at 4 club events (TT & RR), I didn't enter, as I was down on training time, so thought it best to marshal (help out).
    It's more the lack of weekday/ night training rides. I can't even find out what time the Sunday run starts now, could be 08:00, or 08:30!

Come over to the Dark Side, Luke :twisted:
  • pianoman

And was no-one else from the club involved? And did no-one from the club compete?

If the answer is NO to both, then yes, you sure got REALLY unlucky.

I can't quite believe all of that to be 100% true though, surely other club members must have been there?
  • pianoman
    One other thing...........as it's December and subscriptions are due in at most club for 2010 in the coming weeks, not to mention the fact that most competitive activities are finished for a few months, now would be the perfect time to slip out the back door and not renew your membership for 2010.

That would be far more noble than one example I saw once in a local 10 mile TT series. A rider turned up one week as a member of the host club, then turned up seven days later to the same venue as a member of a rival club - in front of all the people he had known for at least a couple of years. Not really a "correct" way of doing things if you ask me, especially if he ahd done particularly well - which club would have claimed the result?

So make a decision one way or another, but do it QUICK.
  • hopper1
    markos1963 wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:
    PianoMan wrote:

Come over to the Dark Side, Luke :twisted:

Seriously considering it Markos....
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    It's bits and bats of what others have highlighted. Not a great effort from yourself, however the club seems to be very quiet or just small and casual. If I was you I would try markos club simply for the reasons of:

1) You can fairly compare the clubs as you (would) have tried them both

2) Dont need an excuse as you have been with other club long enough to see what they're about.
  • hopper1 wrote:
    Did I chose a lemon? :?

It sounds as though you chose the lemon!

Clubs like most things, come in good and bad. The good are generally those with a reasonable membership base and a broad church of activities. Clubs that are too focussed on a particular activity tend to look poorly upon those that do not fit into the stereotype. Clubs that are sponsored may also tend to attract the wrong sort of cyclists, of whom do not understand the collegiate way of working, plus you often get all sorts of internal frictions.

I am a proud member of a club that regards itself as inclusive, is a broad church and has a largish membership of 180. The age range is 15 - 90 and it is extremely rare for members to defect to our nearby competitors, which is unusual for our region. We have keen enthusiasts in audax, sportives, club runs, time trials, go-ride, cyclocross, mtb and road racing - and we all respect each others' interests. There is very little (serious) politicing and we are not tied to the contracts and priorities of external sponsors. Above all, we do not see ourselves are some form psuedo commercial ambitions - it is all about being a relaxed club with interests for everyone.

And the golden way to find out about a good local club:
    - ask a local cycle shop owner about 'friendly clubs'
    - see if they are broad church
    - go on a club run or two before joining (if they expect you to be a member first, then they are not worth bothering with). See if they talk to and care for new riders.
    - if they are snooty about your personal cycling ambitions/experience, don't bother
    - if you are interested in racing, etc, see how realistic they are in providing support for you to develop your skills
    - consider whether they have an 'elite' squad - if they do, don't bother
    - consider if they provide introductory activities for new cyclist, if they do then great.

You probably get the picture.