New Biker looking for rides in Crawley/West Sussex

RhysGM
RhysGM Posts: 3
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi, I'm new to Mountain Biking, I've just bought a Kona Coil Air through the Cycle 2 Work scheme. I know it's a bit cold and dark in the evenings at the moment, but wondering if any unfit people in Crawley wanted to go on some bike rides.

I've tried Tilgate and it's far to boggy and scary for me. So anyone know any nice cross country routes, they can take me on? Don't mind going out on the weekends or in the evenings after work, I also don't mind driving to somewhere nearby. But just to warn you I am a smoker and very unfit.

Rhys.

Comments

• Rhys,

Tilgate is definitely boggy right now - and there are some very scary bit indeed.
    We're doing a run to East Grinstead and back, on the Worth Way, tomorrow night. Depending on which part of Crawley you live in, it might be worth giving it a go - you could always turn round and head back if you think that you've had enough.
    This route is fairly flat and contains no scary bits at all - details here

In the longer term, check out the Sussex Muddy@rse website and forum for details of organised rides in and around your area.

We're a friendly bunch, who cater for all skill/experience/fitness levels.

Bob

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    Hey more riders local to me, i live in Crawley Down so the worth way passes through the village, was up at Tilgate on Monday and the forestry works have totaly destroyed the trails at the moment, but there are some sweet singletrack trails around the park and farm on the other side of the motorway and they are fairly mud free considering the time of year.

I don't have much time now before christmas but would gladly meet up for a ride after christmas, me and a mate are hoping to get out on the 28th ish, could drop you a pm then if you fancy it.
  • Noclue wrote:
    Hey more riders local to me, i live in Crawley Down so the worth way passes through the village, was up at Tilgate on Monday and the forestry works have totaly destroyed the trails at the moment, but there are some sweet singletrack trails around the park and farm on the other side of the motorway and they are fairly mud free considering the time of year.

I don't have much time now before christmas but would gladly meet up for a ride after christmas, me and a mate are hoping to get out on the 28th ish, could drop you a pm then if you fancy it.

I live on the edge of Maidenbower near the Europa hotel. Cycled to work this morning(Gatwick) 0445 bit fresh to say the least, -7.
    Best wrap up very well tonight. Would be up for a cycle around crawley sometime.
    Rob.hunt@yahoo.co.uk
  • belugabob wrote:
    Rhys,

Tilgate is definitely boggy right now - and there are some very scary bit indeed.
    We're doing a run to East Grinstead and back, on the Worth Way, tomorrow night. Depending on which part of Crawley you live in, it might be worth giving it a go - you could always turn round and head back if you think that you've had enough.
    This route is fairly flat and contains no scary bits at all - details here

In the longer term, check out the Sussex Muddy@rse website and forum for details of organised rides in and around your area.

We're a friendly bunch, who cater for all skill/experience/fitness levels.

Bob
    I live on the edge of Maidenbower near the Europa hotel. Cycled to work this morning(Gatwick) 0445 bit fresh to say the least, -7.
    Best wrap up very well tonight. Would be up for a cycle around crawley sometime.
    Rob.hunt@yahoo.co.uk
  • Excellent, I should be available to for a ride on the 28th, if we keep it local I'll be able to turn around and come home easily. After Christmas is probably a better idea. I'll PM you, rob and noclue nearer to the time. You'll have to let me know roughly where I can park, I don't want to wear myself out before I even get to Tilgate.

Anyone else up for an afternoon cycle on the 28th?

Bob - I think a long cycle to East Grinstead tonight is going to be a little too cold and too long for me. Give me a couple of months of cycling and I'm sure I'll be able to join.
  • Rhys,

I'm probably going to be somewhere in the Tilgate vicinity on the 28th - friends coming to visit, and it seems like a good excuse for a ride.

Be sure to keep your eye on the Muddy@rse forums (And maybe even register) for info about rides

@Rob - not a good idea to post your email address on forums - you're just asking to get more spam.

Regards,

Bob

• I'm local Crawley in gossops green me and my mate try and get out regular and know a fair few routes, but agree that tilgate forestry commission have killed the routes on parish lane really good fun over there in the summer. Hopefully they be finished soon
  • Hey all,

Another Crawley local here, and just wanted to add my annoyance at the forestry commissions shambles in Tilgate. I was there x-mas eve and everything on the south side of the motorway is wrecked, even the hard packed sandy section running down the middle has huge ruts in it now.

I just can't beleive they let them run their machinary all over everything with what appears to be no consideration to any of the forests users (that's walkers / runners, horse riders and mtb-ers), especially considering the run of poor weather leading up to Christmas. Anyone with any local knowledge of the area would have realised that even after a brief shower Tilgate turns into a mud bath.

I noticed one of the signs saying that forestry works were taking place and that diversion signs were in place throughout the forest - I did not see a single sign directing people away from the worst affected areas.

The sign also mentioned that everything would be restored when the works had been completed - I hope they live up to this promise but find it hard to believe that they will repair what were some fantastic local trails. Time will tell I guess.

Still, on the plus side it gives more excuses to head up to Leith Hill et al!
  • belugabob
    belugabob Posts: 158
    Well Rich,

I think that they may be more considerate that you think - their work is part of a long term plan, and one that we'll have to wait to see the outcome from.

Anyway, if it's convincing you to vary your ride locations a bit, then it can't be a bad thing.

See you in Tilgate - or elsewhere - in 2010.

P.S. Welcome to the world of Sussex Muddy@rse MTB club - I see that you've posted over there too.

• SE_Rich
    SE_Rich Posts: 56
    Ah, you're tracking my every move belugabob!

I read their long term plan for tilgate, I just hope they live up to their promise - I will gladly eat my words if they get it right.

Cheers for the welcome, see you on a ride at some point.

Rich