Static electricity build-up on rollers?

Bhima
Bhima Posts: 2,145
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
I've been using rollers for a while now. Usually, i'll have some bike races/films on the laptop playing at a moderate volume or some motivational music at silly levels (up to ~110dB SPL AKA 100m away from an aeroplane take-off) but today I decided to stick some headphones into my laptop and listen.

Next thing I know - i'm warming up and all I can hear is crackles in the audio, so I stop. They're gone.

So I try plugging into my phone instead, which was on the floor - same thing happens. If I keep the phone in my hand, it stops, as it is no longer earthed.

Next up, I plug in to the laptop with the headphones again, spinning all-out on a 50x11 gear up to about 85kph and it crashes immediately! :lol:

If I am going very fast and reach out to touch one of my fans (the spinning ones, not one of the 15 hot women I keep in my basement to cheer me on during intervals), I get a little shock, but I don't get any kind of electrical shock if I touch the ceiling, which is also something that's earthed...?

Is this normal with rollers?

If so, can I earth myself somehow without constantly getting electricuted? I want to train with headphones on, but don't want to have to hold my phone in my hand (don't wear a jersey for overheating reasons, therefore have no pockets).

Comments