Paris to Barcelona

Retro1702
Retro1702 Posts: 135
edited January 2010 in Tour & expedition
Thinking of undertaking this route with my mate next summer (both on fixed, we for some reason thought this would be a good idea to even us out, he's a better climber than me & I'm more of a roleur on the flat).

Has anybody on here got any experience of riding Paris - Barcelona, we were going to go the whole hog and ride from L'Arc de Triomphe to L'Arc di Triomf so it's not just the route detail from the 2 cities but advice on how to deal with the busy city traffic and information on the best routes out of Paris & into Barca.

Any info much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Having involved Paris in two tours I would respectfully advise you boys to take the train out of Paris, I just got fed up taking hours to get nowhere (and this was the extreme outskirts of greater paris).

Have a great on fellas.
  • have you given consideration to where you'll cross the pyrenees? once you've decided that the rest of the route should be easier to work out.

i would concur with the advice on paris as well. getting out from the arc de triomphe to anything resembling pleasant cycling would take the best part of a day. if you took the RER out of paris for even half an hour a lot of that could be avoided. you could travel to versailles perhaps as a landmark and start your journey from there.

you would then be making real progress from the very start rather than slogging out of the city in order to meet some self imposed regulation.
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    If you must ride out, and if you want to ride Arc to Arc then you will have to ride..

take a look here
    http://www.mayq.com/Cycling_out_of_paris/Best_bycling_routes_from_Paris.htm

there are a couple of routes , south or south west

good luck..

tailwinds

george
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    And cycling into Barcelona can be eventful ...................

Do you have any experience of cycling in France or Spain fixed gear or not?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 295
    Retro1702 wrote:
    Has anybody on here got any experience of riding Paris - Barcelona, we were going to go the whole hog and ride from L'Arc de Triomphe to L'Arc di Triomf so it's not just the route detail from the 2 cities but advice on how to deal with the busy city traffic and information on the best routes out of Paris & into Barca.

Not in one trip, but it sounds like a great plan!

I have started and ended tours in Paris and have have always found it a great place to cycle, similar to the country as a whole. I also found cycling into Barcelona very enjoyable on the whole (far to many traffic lights for my liking though.)

There may be some routes on my site that may be of use to you as you get further south.

Just one word of advise: if, on your route through the Pyrenees, you find yourself in Andorra, resist any urge to stop there and keep on going to Spain.Andorra is horrible!
  • aya604
    aya604 Posts: 67
    Retro1702 wrote:
    Thinking of undertaking this route with my mate next summer (both on fixed, we for some reason thought this would be a good idea to even us out, he's a better climber than me & I'm more of a roleur on the flat).

Any info much appreciated, thanks in advance.

this should help

http://www.richardx.co.uk/paris-barcelona