Mens Shoe Sizing

londonlivvy
londonlivvy Posts: 644
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
My colleague ordered a pair of DHB size 10 (45) for her other half but they were way too small. He's a 45 in adidas / nike etc.

Does anyone else have this experience of DHB coming up small? should she go for a pair of 46 or 47? Or would another brand be a better idea?

He's a commute to work / rides at weekend sort of cyclist, rather than a high performance, Sidi sort of person!

Ideas please. thanks.

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I always buy cycling shoes one size larger than normal, so 46 in my case. If said colleague has wide feet then Specialized are a good bet.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    edited December 2009
    Specialized – same size
    Shimano – 1 sizes bigger

amended :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    I use Shimano shoes & find I need 1 size larger than 'normal' everyday shoes.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • UK 10.5 in Adidas and Nike trainers, 45 in dhb M1's, 44.5 in Sidi Genius road shoes, 44 in Northwave road shoes for me. Brands do tend to vary unfortunately, so often worth a quick enquiry on here or the retailer.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I've got a pair of DHB T1s, size 9 in regular shoes, went for the size 44 as recommended by Wiggle's size guide and they're perfect for me. Sounds like it's the width...
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I like my shoes to fit so always buy them from the LBS, never online.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    My Shimano shoes are a 42 down from a 44. Think I'm going to stick with 43 from now on.

However, because the soles vary in width, if I'm buying another brand I think I'll try in the shops.

Example: tried a 42 Specialized and they simply didn't fit - too small, though my Shimano did.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • My Spesh shoes are pretty comfortable for the first 100 miles, then they start to hurt a bit, but the sizes are normal. I need one size up for Shimano shoes.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I'm wondering now whether I should wait until I can get to the shops before getting a pair of shoes, even though it probably wont be until after christmas. It would probably be easier and quicker than ordering online, finding they don't fit so having to return and get another pair.
  • Crimmey
    Crimmey Posts: 207
    I must be the only one who takes 42 in Adidas, Specialized, Shimano and Sidi. You lot have wonky feet :) or does that make me the one with the funny feet. :roll:
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I don't get to compare many manufacturers as size 50 (UK14) cycling shoes are like rocking horse manure. I have some Lake shoes at the minute and will look to them again when I need to replace them.

'Normal' shoes are anything from 11.5 to 13 depending on who makes them.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • I always estimated that I was a size 12, but when I actually got measured I was a size 8.

Typical man.
  • Lots of reviews for Dhb shoes mention sizing quirks - which isn't great when cycling shoes are notoriously tricky anyway. A 43 Specialized fits me perfectly but a 43 Shimano makes me look like Sideshow Bob. :oops:
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Lots of reviews for Dhb shoes mention sizing quirks - which isn't great when cycling shoes are notoriously tricky anyway. A 43 Specialized fits me perfectly but a 43 Shimano makes me look like Sideshow Bob. :oops:

With the hair too? Cool!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]

With the hair too? Cool!

Touchy subject - everything but the bloody hair in actual fact
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000

With the hair too? Cool!

Touchy subject - everything but the bloody hair in actual fact

You sound like Kelsey Grammer too! Awesome. :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]