Evans to Giro

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2010 in Pro race
Good news

http://in.reuters.com/article/sportsNew ... ws&rpc=401

Wonder if he could wear pink again?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    edited December 2009
    The Giro will be interesting. Many know their chances of winning in July are very slim given Contador's presence. So they'll look at the Giro, especially if some names will be riding in California to please their sponsors.

Given his ride at the Vuelta, I'd imagine Evans ends up as the favourite for the Giro. He'll flatten Basso of course :wink:

But what will ASO make of this, will they grant BMC a ride knowing that the Aussie will be cooked - as Sastre was - come July?
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Good oportunity for him to win a grand tour.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Didn't he say this last year, before changing his mind a couple of months later?
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Kléber wrote:
    The Giro will be interesting. Many know their chances of winning in July are very slim given Contador's presence. So they'll look at the Giro, especially if some names will be riding in California to please their sponsors.

Given his ride at the Vuelta, I'd imagine Evans ends up as the favourite for the Giro. He'll flatten Basso of course :wink:

But what will ASO make of this, will they grant BMC a ride knowing that the Aussie will be cooked - as Sastre was - come July?

Basso's not going for the giro, he's going for the TDF.
  • donrhummy wrote:

Basso's not going for the giro, he's going for the TDF.

No......looks like Basso's riding both.

As for Cadel riding the Giro.
    Interesting, in terms of the Tour of Cali, outside of the Shack heavy mob.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • good news all round ... i still tip Basso for the '10 Giro but at least Evans will make a fist of it and at the very least stop Menchov (the dullest GT winner ever) ...

I think BMC will miss out on the Tour this year so it makes sense ... if Evans wins either the Giro or Vuelta and BMC keep everything in order for the season then Tour '11 looks like a goer ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Bhima wrote:
    Didn't he say this last year, before changing his mind a couple of months later?

He didn't say he was going to do it last year. His team wanted him to, he told them he would think about it and then he came down to Australia for a holiday.

The next thing he hears (through a friend ringing him), that he team management were telling everyone he was doing the Giro.

It could be said he was slightly annoyed.
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    type:epyt wrote:
    good news all round ... i still tip Basso for the '10 Giro but at least Evans will make a fist of it and at the very least stop Menchov (the dullest GT winner ever) ...

I think BMC will miss out on the Tour this year so it makes sense ... if Evans wins either the Giro or Vuelta and BMC keep everything in order for the season then Tour '11 looks like a goer ...

I am not so certain BMC will miss out this year on the TdF. Will the organisers not want the current world champion and a possible GC top 10/podium contendor to be in the starting line-up?
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    If you've a spare fiver floating about, stick it on Pelizotti to win the Giro, probably the best bet of next year.

It's a course made for him.
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187

With this route he is the fauvorite is he is like last year.
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • Wiggins also competing. It looks like there will be a lot of strong riders this year which should be good.

I wonder if we will see either of these two there:

19364_1318104436120_1336036133_30916958_7279083_n.jpg
    19364_1318104476121_1336036133_30916959_2524471_n.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I think Saxo will want to market itself to the US audience in California but we'll see, they could easily send a half-decent outfit to each race.
  • iainf72
    I think Jacob F is the Saxo man for the Giro next year.

Schleck and Fabian will be in California I imagine.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Schleck and Fabian will be in California I imagine.

Not 100% sure but I think I remember reading that the Schlecks wont be there due to the change in dates.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/andy-s ... -christmas
    I can now confirm that I’ll be doing the Tour of California. I can’t wait.
  • Bhima wrote:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/andy-schleck/a-battered-and-bruised-family-christmas
    I can now confirm that I’ll be doing the Tour of California. I can’t wait.

Ah no I was hoping he would stay in Europe...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72

Ah no I was hoping he would stay in Europe...

He's unlikely to go near the Giro when challenging for the Tour, so California is a good choice. Challenging route, but not too hard, and not too long. Plus it keeps the bike sponsor happy.
  • Surely Wiggins has got a decent chance at winning the whole thing?
    http://j.mp/57M549
    He says here he wants Pink but will not be Sky's leader. With three ITT's and no Contador, Lance or Schlecks he's gotta chance?
    Although, I guess he'll be foucusing more on the TDF.
  • I think Wiggins just wants to win the prologue wear pink briefly then prep for the Tour.
  • Dug this thread up for no Menchov defence of the Giro........
    http://nos.nl/artikel/127738-titelhoude ... -giro.html
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.