My turn to Hit a Car!!

bigease
bigease Posts: 86
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
I was only thinking the other day that I had been very lucky in my commuting life not to have had an accident. Well I guess that thought jinxed me.

Last night in very heavy traffic on Trumpington Road in Cambridge I had a very close encounter with the side of a Skoda Fabia. I was travelling along an on road cycle lane when a car appeared from nowhere across the traffic, no time to react so I rode straight into the side of him at around 18mph. He was apparently trying to do a U-Turn, as the traffic was not going anywhere, and he simply didn't look. He was genuinely mortified, as a fellow cyclist, and gave me a lift to A&E (just around the corner).

I am OK, with only a bruised shoulder. Looks like the bike needs a new front wheel, but that is about it. I think I got off lightly!!
Specialized Single Cross: FCN +4 IMAGE

Trek Madone 5.2: FCN +3 IMAGE

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Ouch sorry to hear that, good to hear you ok though and that the driver was helpful.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Ouch, hard luck.

check the frame for the telltale ripple on the downtube, just behind the headset, if you've got that, the frame is bu99ered and you're into new bike territory, best to get it checked over by your LBS.

Hope the recovery is speedy and that I'm wrong about your frame
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Bike is with the LBS at the moment. So we will see what they have to say.

• bd12mz
    bd12mz Posts: 79
    I feel your pain.
    did they xray you at all?
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Sod the OP and his bike- was the CAR ok?

Glad to here you appear relatively ok. Remember to claim for your injuries
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Trumpington road is a busy one from memory - bad luck old fella, hope you get back in the saddle soon!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    At least you had your accident on a street with a humorous name - a chuckle always helps take the pain away.
  • bd12mz wrote:
    I feel your pain.

No xray required. Pretty certain it's soft tissue damage. I do think the car sustained more damage than me. I am the larger build of cyclist and that probably helped.

• benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    bigease wrote:
    the car sustained more damage than me.

Chapeau! Good effort.

On a serious note - hope you make a speedy recovery!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Not the best. Speedy recovery...
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Glad to hear you are ok. Car drivers in Cambridge have a pretty hard time with all the idiot cyclists, but you would think that would make them more wary of hitting somebody. I hate driving in Cambridge and I look out for cyclists. Get well soon and give RJW a call, they'll sort you out....
    Which LBS do you use btw?
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • fenboy369 wrote:
    Glad to hear you are ok. Car drivers in Cambridge have a pretty hard time with all the idiot cyclists, but you would think that would make them more wary of hitting somebody. I hate driving in Cambridge and I look out for cyclists. Get well soon and give RJW a call, they'll sort you out....
    Which LBS do you use btw?

I totally agree with that sentiment fenboy. Nice to speak to a fellow swampy!!

I always use Ben Haywards. The only bike mechanics I trust in Cambridge.

• Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    I thought, from the title, that there must be some sort of rota
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • bd12mz
    bd12mz Posts: 79
    bigease wrote:
    bd12mz wrote:
    I feel your pain.

No xray required. Pretty certain it's soft tissue damage. I do think the car sustained more damage than me. I am the larger build of cyclist and that probably helped.

hmmm - find that a little surprising but I guess it's all down to how much movement you have in your arma nd shoulder.
    mine felt like it had been wrenched out of it's socket and I could barely move it even a little.
    as for size - me too - 6'4" and over 17 stone [ according to WiiFit I am out of 'obese' and into 'overweight' all thanks to cycling :) ].

gawd I hope not!
    don't want anyone to go through the crap I have....
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689

I'm not putting my name down for selection!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Welcome to the 2009 tarmac club.
    Trumpington road can be a bit of a mare, whereabouts were you? I hate the bit past the botanic garden where they put the cycle lane in the door zone of the parked cars :roll:

Biondino, I use to live in Trumpingtown (as we called it.......... then we moved to saucepan, up the road)
  • Saucepan, lol!
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • will3 wrote:
    Welcome to the 2009 tarmac club.
    Trumpington road can be a bit of a mare, whereabouts were you? I hate the bit past the botanic garden where they put the cycle lane in the door zone of the parked cars :roll:

Biondino, I use to live in Trumpingtown (as we called it.......... then we moved to saucepan, up the road)

Thanks for the dubious honour of being in a club I would rather of stayed out of. I was up near the old volunteer pub (now an Indian). I was in the inside lane for people going down Long Road and drifting to the right to queue for the light just ahead. I hadn't started slowing down yet!!