7 Stanes holiday

cycle monster
cycle monster Posts: 448
edited December 2009 in Family & kids cycling forum
Planning to holiday next summer for a couple of weeks in this area with wife and two sons aged four and eight. Has anyone been to these centres and if so, any advice on the best centres for kids (one on tagalong) and/or where best to stay?

Comments

• Not one of the stanes but would recommend a look at Kielder - but beware, most of the stanes & Kielder suffer with midges - this can ruin your holiday, suggest stopping nearby and travelling in
  • Thank you. Need to research the area properly I suspect. Routes for the boys and something lively for me whilst they stuff themselves with ice cream etc. I was wondering about the midge factor. My breath aside is there anything else that keeps the sods away? Are they only prevalent in summer?
  • I used to live in Kielder and can say that warm damp summer evenings are an absolute nightmare, however if I remember rightly they tend not to be out until late may/early june and then they are around until the first frosts in autumn, I haven't ridden the new family round the lake route but have heard great things, speak to the tourist info at kielder castle, leaplish, tower knowe or even Bellingham for the low down on all the facilities, I know that Newcastleton, AE and most of the other 7stanes suffer the sammer midge affliction. With a bit of planning there is loads to do in the area