Ninja cyclists

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
I've read various people talking about those ninja cyclists who ride along virtually invisible to all. But with the roads around here largely being unlit I never thought I'd see one...until today.

Driving to the hospital around 6:15, I'm travelling along an unlit section of main road when I see a car coming the other way that looks to have slowed down. Only when I get closer do I realise he's done so because there is a cyclist.

And the guy is cycling along this pitch black road, 60mph limit with one rather weak front light and one rear wearing dark clothing. No reflective tape, no bright clothing, no christmas tree impression just a couple of weak bike lights to tell drivers he is there.

Do you think he just doesn't realise how invisible he is or doesn't care.

Comments

• jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    That wasn't a proper ninja:

You saw him.
  • jimmypippa wrote:
    That wasn't a proper ninja:

You saw him.

Very true!

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/n ... rough_town
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • The CTC originally opposed the idea of rear lights on the grounds that it put responsibility for being seen on the cyclist rather than the motorists.

OK, think about it. Not as daft as it first sounds. Think about some of the opposition to helmets and segregated routes. Do you expect any pedestrian walking on a shared use path in the dark to be wearing hi-viz, reflective clothes and a helmet?

(For the record, I'm a moral coward as I wear hi-viz and lots of lights :D )
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • moral coward and proud of it too :D

The onus to see being on the 'liable to do the most damage to the other' vehicle taken to it's logical conclusion would absolve cars from lights as vans are bigger, vans as lorries are bigger and lorries as articulated trucks are bigger...

I'm astonished at the peds I see wandering down an unlit no pavement narrow country road with no visibility at all well into darkness hours. Even as an observant, think like a cyclist, driver I've come damn close to hitting a couple that were totally invisible until the last moment, I don't want the insurance and police hassle or the guilt of running someone over despite the fact they've abdicated every shred of personal responsibility for their own safety.

Ninjas however they move about are a menace IMO.
  • Friday night, on my way to my work's Christmas do, I passed a proper Ninja. No lights, no reflectors, black clothing. Bad enough, but it was on an unlit, sixty-miles-per-hour road, during thick, freezing-fog.

A police car just drove by him ahead of me, surely they should have had a word?
  • Vegeeta
    Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
    Maybe they didn't see him?
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
  • Ok - I confess. I'm a secret ninja.

Well, not exactly. I've got three rear and two front lights. But this time of year I'm in cold weather kit. And that's either black toe covers or black overshoes, black (windproof) leggings, black 851 jacket and black gloves.

One of the kids called me Venom at school drop off this morning.

I'd be lying if I didn't swell with pride inside :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Who's Venom? :P
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Who's Venom? :P

calling DDD....
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Ok - I confess. I'm a secret ninja.

Well, not exactly. I've got three rear and two front lights. But this time of year I'm in cold weather kit. And that's either black toe covers or black overshoes, black (windproof) leggings, black 851 jacket and black gloves.

One of the kids called me Venom at school drop off this morning.

I'd be lying if I didn't swell with pride inside :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Nice :D Did you grin back?
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Who the hell is Venom?!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • 150px-Venomamazingspiderman299.png