Anyone use a cyclocross for commu ing

Comments

• Thanks for the advice chaps, I have made up my mind I'm selling the mtb and getting a cx, there is a chap on here selling a s works tricross which sounds right up my strasse, the only thing is could be a bit posh for chaining up outside some of the places I have to work
  • Kona Jake Snake for me- Love it.

HOWEVER- please be aware that the gearing is pretty close and designed for fit cyclists- so if your commute involves big hills- maybe consider the spesh tricross which has broader gearing
  • Gawd, do I have to make up ANOTHER cape? :roll: :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Quick, somebody lock this thread before I go out and buy another bike! :lol:

I have a Kona Jake myself too.Really loverly bike to ride. Downside if the wheels, tyres and brakepads. I have managed to set up the cantis so as not to squeal as I put Koolstops on there and fixed them in at a slight angle to toe in.

If you dont want to play about with upgrading then save a little more and try the Jake the Snake (good forks and wheels, tyres are still s*** so put in some kevlar strips!)
  • downfader
    Kona Jake Snake for me- Love it.

HOWEVER- please be aware that the gearing is pretty close and designed for fit cyclists- so if your commute involves big hills- maybe consider the spesh tricross which has broader gearing

Never had trouble with the gears when I was recovering over the last new year period. I have found them inline with good mtb gears on the hills and faster bikes on the flat. A good compromise :)
  • '08 Spec. Tricross (Expert). Love It!!! Love IT! Over 8k commuting miles on rough ugly Texas roads - the Roval wheels have remained true and smooth. The Sram Rival drivetrain has just kept on clicking away - even after burying the rear shifter 2x's in a sand pit at a cx race :oops: .
    Tricross is ready for full fenders/racks, a 3rd waterbottle. The paint has remained relatively unscuffed. It has handled the cx racing well - may not be as snappy as the cx thorobreds (tricross has a fairly long wheelbase) - but still lets you get out there and race.

Changes I made - swapped out house brand brakes for Avid 6 shortys, and roll w/ Michelin City tires - very heavy, but I really hate fixing flats in the dark.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    downfader wrote:
    I have a Kona Jake myself too.Really loverly bike to ride. Downside if the wheels, tyres and brakepads. I have managed to set up the cantis so as not to squeal as I put Koolstops on there and fixed them in at a slight angle to toe in.

:o Did you sacrifice virgins to eliminate the squeal??! Which Koolstops did you buy? I need new pads and am looking at these, but am not convinced that the mtb versions will fit.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • They just aren't that powerful. I'd be interested to try them with mtb brake levers.

But then if you wanted to use mtb levers you could have hydraulics, with their much better power and modulation.

If the 'cross racing authorities would allow disc brakes then someone would develop hydraulic road levers. One day...
    No, I'm simply interested to know what leverage they were designed for - i.e. are they a little limp because of the levers we use ther with or because they are just limp?
  • downfader
    cjcp wrote:
    downfader wrote:

:o Did you sacrifice virgins to eliminate the squeal??! Which Koolstops did you buy? I need new pads and am looking at these, but am not convinced that the mtb versions will fit.

They are orange and black. Havent a clue what type as I threw away the box :oops: I swapped around the nuts/washers to get them to fit. They've lasted longer than the ones they supplied with it (and I've ridden in some atrocious weather since too)
  • They just aren't that powerful. I'd be interested to try them with mtb brake levers.

But then if you wanted to use mtb levers you could have hydraulics, with their much better power and modulation.

If the 'cross racing authorities would allow disc brakes then someone would develop hydraulic road levers. One day...
    No, I'm simply interested to know what leverage they were designed for - i.e. are they a little limp because of the levers we use ther with or because they are just limp?

Fair enough. I keep planning to change the cables for Alligator or similar to see if that would make a difference. Spongy the 105s are on my Focus. Allegedly BB7s are better than Shimano cable discs? And my inline secondary levers are a bit like MTB ones, but I take your point.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • I'm considering getting a CX bike for off road riding and possibly touring. What I'm wondering is whether a bike like the Kona Jake the Snake is both suitable for racing and touring, or whether it leans towards touring/relaxed riding. Comparing it to the RIdley Crossbow and the Focus Mares it looks a bit more relaxed.
  • downfader
    James1823 wrote:
    I'm considering getting a CX bike for off road riding and possibly touring. What I'm wondering is whether a bike like the Kona Jake the Snake is both suitable for racing and touring, or whether it leans towards touring/relaxed riding. Comparing it to the RIdley Crossbow and the Focus Mares it looks a bit more relaxed.

I've been known to get some good speeds from mine. :D Though mine isnt the snake. If you're using it as a tourer the frame should accept mudguards and rack as the plainJake does. I have found my bike to be more comfortable than a lot of the flatbars I've ridden and tried.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I like my 08 tricross single speed except for th toe overlap or whatever it's called. At slow speeds you can catch the wheel with your foot. It can be a pain, otherwise it's fine.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • cjcp
    downfader wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    downfader wrote:

They are orange and black. Havent a clue what type as I threw away the box :oops: I swapped around the nuts/washers to get them to fit. They've lasted longer than the ones they supplied with it (and I've ridden in some atrocious weather since too)

Do you have these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Kool_ ... 360025005/

or these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Kool_ ... 360019241/ ?

Cheers
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    James1823 wrote:
    I'm considering getting a CX bike for off road riding and possibly touring. What I'm wondering is whether a bike like the Kona Jake the Snake is both suitable for racing and touring, or whether it leans towards touring/relaxed riding. Comparing it to the RIdley Crossbow and the Focus Mares it looks a bit more relaxed.

Review here: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... e-08-28886

Absolutely fine for racing too. I "race" my lower end Kona Jake, which is a bit heavier.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • downfader
    cjcp wrote:
    downfader wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    downfader wrote:

Do you have these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Kool_ ... 360025005/

or these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Kool_ ... 360019241/ ?

Cheers

I found a box!! They were stashed on a unit in the conservatory, thought they'd be bunged.

Packet says: Koolstop Mountain Pads for threaded stem brake systems. Codes on the back: KS-MTTDL MOUNTAIN DUAL THREADED
    Barcode no.: 7 60251 00173 6

You might need to play with different sets of washers and nuts though to get a good fit. The guy in the shop said these come in an insert/cartridge system too.
  • cjcp
    Cheers, DF. :)

The front brake squeal is back. Ker-rist, it's loud. I'm not sure I can be @rsed adjusting the brake all the time, so am very tempted to buy a normal road frame next year.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • downfader wrote:
    Kona Jake Snake for me- Love it.

Never had trouble with the gears when I was recovering over the last new year period. I have found them inline with good mtb gears on the hills and faster bikes on the flat. A good compromise :)

Perhaps im showing up my (lack of) fitness then :D I do recall reading that the Tricross has a MUCH broader range of gears though
  • Use a Fel F1x, grea bike.
    use for M B ype riding and Commu ing.
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • here is a link to probably highlight the fact that only a numbskull would use a cyclo-cross for commuting, unless of course they commute through the f$cking woods, and take in the regualr cyclo-cross race on the way to and from work, which they probably dont! If they were supposed to be for commuitng, ie, cycling on roads, through urban areas, cycle paths and to get to work then they would be sold as commuter bikes. Not cyclo-cross bikes. Its not that hard to work out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclo-cross - link to cyclo-cross info - stating that is not used for commuting - in a rounabout way

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_commuting - shows pic of good bike for commuting

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=com ... =en&tab=wi

above is a link for commuter bikes, and guess what they are for commuting!

Practically speaking mountain bikers use mountain bikes for mountain biking; roadies use road bikes and urban MTBers use jump/trail bikes - that way you get maximum benefit because that is what they are designed to do! Just like NASA dont try and fly to the moon in a fccking hot air ballon - they are not designed for that purpose. Just like mp3 players are not used to cook pizzas!

Mind you I know that everyone is each to themselves so go ride to work on what ever bike you want - I just know NASA will do a better job of doing their intended mission of flying to moon in a spaceship. So if you use that logic you should be able to make an educated guess on what bike to use for commuting - did simple common sense get thrown out of the window in the GCSEs these days!

yeah, you proabaly could use a hot air ballon to fly from UK to NZ but they experience would be allot smoother if you were too fly by a people carrier (air hostess, place for luggage, inflight entertainment, experienced pilot, the list goes on.

ps sorry for the 'tough love'.
  • cjcp
    Trailradar wrote:
    here is a link to probably highlight the fact that only a numbskull would use a cyclo-cross for commuting, unless of course they commute through the f$cking woods, and take in the regualr cyclo-cross race on the way to and from work, which they probably dont! If they were supposed to be for commuitng, ie, cycling on roads, through urban areas, cycle paths and to get to work then they would be sold as commuter bikes. Not cyclo-cross bikes. Its not that hard to work out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclo-cross - link to cyclo-cross info - stating that is not used for commuting - in a rounabout way

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_commuting - shows pic of good bike for commuting

Practically speaking mountain bikers use mountain bikes for mountain biking; roadies use road bikes and urban MTBers use jump/trail bikes - that way you get maximum benefit because that is what they are designed to do! Just like NASA dont try and fly to the moon in a fccking hot air ballon - they are not designed for that purpose. Just like mp3 players are not used to cook pizzas!

Mind you I know that everyone is each to themselves so go ride to work on what ever bike you want - I just know NASA will do a better job of doing their intended mission of flying to moon in a spaceship. So if you use that logic you should be able to make an educated guess on what bike to use for commuting - did simple common sense get thrown out of the window in the GCSEs these days!

yeah, you proabaly could use a hot air ballon to fly from UK to NZ but they experience would be allot smoother if you were too fly by a people carrier (air hostess, place for luggage, inflight entertainment, experienced pilot, the list goes on.

Problem with that reasoning though is that cyclo-cross bikes are also designed to be used on the road :wink: . So, unlike a balloon, which probably doesn't handle very well in space, the cyclo-cross bike is perfectly at home on the road. In fact, some cross circuits incorporate circuits used in road races.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Trailradar - a few beers last night? A number of your posts had the whiff of a late night post pub forum raid. If so though I congratulate you on your drunken typing skills, at least they are well written.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Trailradar wrote:
    here is a link to probably highlight the fact that only a numbskull would use a cyclo-cross for commuting.

Hiya, numbskull here. Like your post.

However, I will stick with my Crosser for the commute.
    Several reasons:
    1. I cannot afford loads of different bikes
    2. Crosser is tough, handles rough roads and th canal paths I commute on perfectly
    3. It makes a great tourer and is superb with rack and panniers
    4. It is reasonably fast on the road and has enough gearage to handle all the hills here in Jockland I have attempted
    5. It looks lovely.......

So, in essence it does the job of 3 bikes for the cost of 1. Much like the NASA space Shuttle was a compromise, my Crosser is a compromise....

Anyway, if I got a commuter bike, I would need to grow a beard (with cereal attachments) buy lots of white socks to wear with my SPD sandals, get some new brown cords and a few cardigans.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Hey back off, brown cords are cool :oops:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Trailradar wrote:
    here is a link to probably highlight the fact that only a numbskull would use a cyclo-cross for commuting, unless of course they commute through the f$cking woods, and take in the regualr cyclo-cross race on the way to and from work, which they probably dont! If they were supposed to be for commuitng, ie, cycling on roads, through urban areas, cycle paths and to get to work then they would be sold as commuter bikes. Not cyclo-cross bikes. Its not that hard to work out.

Here's a picture of my commuter

CYP201.bs_bike1.owboar-399-75.jpg

Looks nothing like the commuters on wikipedia.

This will be it's replacement (one day)

genesis-croix-de-fer-2010-hybrid-bike.jpg

Still not much of a resembleance.

I wouldn't fancy 40 miles a day on a pashley.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Trailradar wrote:

So what happens when you need to use a MTB on the road? Get off and walk coz it's not designed for tarmac.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • downfader
    Trailradar wrote:

I know a guy who drives a sports car to work. Has he broken one of your "laws of reason" then, as it is meant to be on the track. Perhaps we should call the thought police? :lol:

On the rough roads I use, and sometimes muddy paths, the CX is the best option if you want to go at a reasonable speed. The frame is also strong. Most important reason why I ride it is because I like it.

Doesnt matter what you ride in the end, as long as you enjoy it.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Trailradar wrote:

When I am off my bike, I commute to work in a giant shark - is that fit for purpose?

46407305.jpg

Then I go for a sail on my guitar boat.

josh_smh_guitarboat.jpg
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Got myself together for a ride on the Tricross about an hour ago, fitting the Aldi wireless odometer and eventually passing the Krypton Factor test on how to use the correct straps in the correct way to attach the Veho Muvi to the handlebars...

Only to then discover that "the fairy" had visited me for the first time in over 18 months! :evil:

Decided to to a quick ride anyway on a medium deflation rate, to try and get some footage and make sure I had not developed Chris Hoy speed, only to find that the Muvi would not go into record mode! :cry:

So war was declared... The default front tube and the 32c Houfflaixe CX tyre have been ripped off and are about to be replaced by one of the the "3-for-1 Cycleworld" Bontrager tubes and a Bike24 25c Stelvio Plus (which has been sitting in a box since autumn 2008, bought same time as some Marathon Pluses, which have been on Felt since delivery)... :twisted:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Trailradar wrote:

You and Village Idiot need to trade usernames.

Cyclocross was originally undertaken on road bikes. Would only a numbskull use a road bike for cyclocross? Now, they are basically road bikes with the cables routed slightly differently and more mud clearance. Take a look at some pro cross bikes - you will find them festooned with the sort of equipment used at Paris Roubaix.

The only significant difference between a cross bike and a touring bike is the number of frame eyelets, choice of tyres and the cable routing.

Unless you put road tyres on a cross bike with eyelets, in which case its pretty hard to tell which is which.

Oh, and when I can, I ride my cross bike on a predominantly road route, but with a significant portion of hill path thrown in. I suspect that with your myopic world view did not anticipate that anyone might actually be able to live in such a place as Notlondon.

I love it when a new person arrives on the forum.