JE James service.....

13»

Comments

• tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    I have had mixed experiences with JEJ.

First experience was buying a MTB for the wife, went into to Chesterfield branch and after spending some time with a helpful chap we plumped for a Trek, they had the bike in the right size in another store but would ship it over so the wife to have a sit on it and if she liked we'd buy. Arranged to come back at the weekend, did so, no f-in bike! Not happy. Eventually they got their arse in gear and got the bike over a few days later.

Second time wanted a new Sram Red Front Mech, was going into Sheffield anyway so phoned up store to check availability, they said yes, when I got there they didn't have a single Sram Red Mech, they were all Rival. Again not happy.

Last time they ordered me a new Spider and Chainrings from Spesh which they sorted out PDQ, but that was after me having to phone spesh and get all of the right part numbers as the guy at JEJ was clueless.

So think they need to sort out a lot more than just the website.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Milese wrote:
    @Milese,

Having picked up on this issue, i have forwarded it to the manager of our web team and cc'd the general manager of Rotherham into the email.

I'll follow my email up with a phone call and prompt them to contact you today.

Apologies for the negative experience when shopping with us.

All the best.

JEJ

Thanks for replying.

This afternoon I got a phone call from a very helpful manager at the Rotherham branch.

He explained that the current warehouse move has caused a lot of problems, and they didn't realise that staff at the new warehouse couldn't access their emails. He accepted that Christmas probably wasn't the best time for such a change.

It turns out that the helmet I'm after isn't in stock in the colour I want, so I've accepted the colour that I dont really want, that is in stock.

This is going to be with me on Thursday.

Shame it came to posting this thread to get sight of a resolution, but it worked.

It was dispatched Thursday, and was with me Friday, but hey, it arrived and is now sorted.

Will I use them again? Maybe if the price is significantly better than CRC or Wiggle.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Hmm I was just going to place an order with them, but they won't allow me to use a non billing address....they are only £0.80 cheaper than wiggle......Hmm.... I might just have to go with Wiggle.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    I have ordered from JEJ once and the cassette arrived about a week later.No problems.

I have been put off using them more regularly though for the following reasons:

1) Bad publicity on here about the reliability of information on the website regarding stock levels,

AND

2) I am confused about the fact that they have several branches so it is unclear who/where am I actually ordering it from and who/which shop I would be phoning/emailing if there was a problem?

Are web orders processed and despatched form one central warehouse or do they source ordered products from whichever branch has the item? If the latter,this suggests a less speedy mail order service may be expected.
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    Front mech clamp ordered, 4 days later arrived, thumbs up from me.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • I ordered a Zipp bottle cage from JEJames that showed in stock. They didn't call me until 1 week after placing the order to let me know it wasn't in stock. I'm sticking with wiggle and chainreaction!
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    Bought some campag neutrons a while back from Rotherham. They gave me veloce skewers - fortunately my LBS spotted this and, after a little pressue they exchanged for the record version they should come with. I subsequently found out that I also should have had a set of wheel bags and the owner instructions / guarantee. I'm wary of them now.
  • I orderred a pair of gloves back in November. They sent the wrong size. I returned them and they then sent the wrong colour. I returned these and then heard nothing for over a month. I tried ringing, but getting them to answer the phone requires huge amounts of patience, at least twice the phone was picked up and put straight down. After sending two emails and finally getting through on the phone they sent another pair of gloves last week, again the wrong colour, in fact exactly the same pair of gloves they sent me in December. I returned these and finally gave up and insisted on a refund, and orderred from Chain Reaction (the gloves arrived the next day, right size and right colour). One thing to note their returns policy states they'll refund you the postage, I have seen no sign of that.

I actually used the Chesterfield shop often when I went home and was more than happy with them, but their online store has cost them my business.

Don't use their online store I would recommend Wiggle, Chain Reaction, Ribble Cycles, or St John Street Cycles all of who'm I have not had problems with. JE James are sadly a joke.
  • @monkeys_dad

I have made the manager of the web department aware of your post.

Either he will contact you personally based on the details we have stored for you on our system or i will correspond furth with you here.

All the best.

JEJ
    Visit Our Website: www.jejamescycles.co.uk
    Join Us On Facebook & Win an Endura Jacket: http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/facebook.html
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    edited January 2010
    I always judge a company on how they deal with issues, they recently sent the wrong stem (this is not unquie to any of the retailers CRC, wiggle etc).

Phoned up and spoke to someone within a couple of minuets (edit minutes :wink: ) (try that with CRC!!) sent out the new stem the same day and arrived today, great service, and £4 cheaper than CRC!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    dsmiff wrote:

Phoned up and spoke to someone within a couple of minuets (try that with CRC!!)

it's not often you find a cycle retailer that can dance... ;)
  • I've ordered lots of bits from them over the years, i've been into 2 of their shops and they seem to have more stock on display than most other bike shops.

I've always found them to be a great a shop and i'll continue to use :)
  • JK1969
    JK1969 Posts: 29
    After reading this thread and accepting that JE James was attempting to address customer concerns I gave them a try.

I phoned before purchasing a chorus groupset and asked how to specify the cassette size and other specs, and was told to purchase the groupset and then email with requirements. This I did and received a reply confirming my requirements.

When the groupset arrived, it was incorrect!!!! The cassette and front derailer were wrong!

I phone up JE James and offered to drop off the incorrect items and have them replaced. (I live in Scotland, but happened to be driving to Sheffield ). However, I have been told that there is now no possibility of changing the groupset spec and the whole groupset has to be returned for a refund.

How can this be? I have to say this is really disappointing and a complete waste of time. :(

I'm sorry JE James, but you need to get your act together if you want to compete with competent cycle retailers.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    That sounds like sloppy incompetence on their part.

Seems like you are better going elsewhere.
  • I orderred a pair of gloves back in November. They sent the wrong size. I returned them and they then sent the wrong colour. I returned these and then heard nothing for over a month. I tried ringing, but getting them to answer the phone requires huge amounts of patience, at least twice the phone was picked up and put straight down. After sending two emails and finally getting through on the phone they sent another pair of gloves last week, again the wrong colour, in fact exactly the same pair of gloves they sent me in December. I returned these and finally gave up and insisted on a refund, and orderred from Chain Reaction (the gloves arrived the next day, right size and right colour). One thing to note their returns policy states they'll refund you the postage, I have seen no sign of that.

I actually used the Chesterfield shop often when I went home and was more than happy with them, but their online store has cost them my business.

Don't use their online store I would recommend Wiggle, Chain Reaction, Ribble Cycles, or St John Street Cycles all of who'm I have not had problems with. JE James are sadly a joke.

As a result of posting on here I have now been refunded my postage, so whoever it is from JEJ who monitors this forum thank you. It's a shame that the three emails I sent and seven phone calls did not have the desired effect.

I got an apology from the manager apparently they moved warehouses and are struggling to train their staff. Whilst I understand the reasons, telling me this at the time would have helped and stopped them losing my trade.
  • @ Monkeys_Dad

We are addressing the email & phone call issue because we have an excellent percentage rate of answering all inbound phone calls, and this applies also to emails. I'm happy to hear you got sorted out in the end and once again apologise for the inconvenience caused.

@ JK1969

Can you email forums@jejamescycles.com with some information for me to look into your account, (postcode, full name etc), i would like to look into your issue as a matter of urgency for you.

@ Anyone who has issues with our appearance on google.

We have addressed this issue, please see below for details.

Google Shopping:

All item styles of products that now appear within Google Shopping are now in stock. Say for example you are looking for a pair of (Specialized BG Trivent Road Shoes 2010)

When you type this search into google as it appears above, a link of ours appears. Under the link the text reads:

Specialized BG Trivent Road Shoes 2010 Shoe Colour White/Black/Red Shoe size 43.

This particular link that has appeared applies only to the size 43 in White/Black/Red, as the information under the click through link says. You will also notice we have that particular item in stock if you click through.

Google stipulate that products are uploaded at item level as you the customer may be searching for a specific colour/size of a product.

It may be the case that you require a size 45, if this is the case, search for (Specialized BG Trivent Road Shoes 2010 45), this then locates the size 45 from our site and it only appears because it is in stock.

This applies to all item styles of products we have on our website, if it appears on google shopping we definitely have a minimum of one item style of that particular product in stock for it to appear!

Now onto basic Google listings.

We have changed the Description Meta Tag to display, In Stock, Out Of Stock, Low Stock.

Now this change has already been implemented but due to Google not crawling data for the basic google search as often as they do for google Shopping this may take a while to filter through.

We really are listening to what our customers have to say online, instore, and over the phone, we are seriously trying to tailor our site and search engine appearances accordingly.

I hope this helps in reply to your post.

Cheers

JEJ
    Visit Our Website: www.jejamescycles.co.uk
    Join Us On Facebook & Win an Endura Jacket: http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/facebook.html
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I would like to say I am very satisfied with JEJames, I ordered some clearance shoes on a Friday afternoon and received them Wednesday morning. Shoes were well packaged and exactly what I ordered at a bargain price (Shimano R085 for £35). Would order again.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    They were very good for me when I bought some wheels earlier in the year. The cassette I wanted wasn't in stock, but I was made aware of this straight away and my expectations managed.