What clothing for XC riding?

mayonaise
mayonaise Posts: 159
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi, I'm a noobie to XC riding. What is the norm for XC riding clothes?

Or more importantly, what will make you look like a noob? :P

Thanks.

Comments

• asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Wear whatever you like - it all looks the same once it's covered in mud :D
  • kernowaj
    kernowaj Posts: 198
    I have been wearing lycra shorts with padded arse, endura shorts over the top so I dont look like a gymnast, a long sleeved t-shirt (until I get a decent base layer) with a cycling jersey or t-shirt over the top. Helmet goes without saying. cycling shoes (spds) invest in some, youll never look back. MTB gloves. After riding on Dartmoor early last Sunday I realised I need some winter gloves, waterproof socks, base layer and a buff.

Saw someone out wearing cords and a heavy jumper, although he was muddy he still looked like a newby or a pleb.

Hope this helps.
  • Thanks, I've got the helmet :) And I've also got the gloves, buff and pads as I used to DJ. Which top and shorts would you recommend?
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I have a base layer by Berghaus - you can get them cheap in tkmax. Also sports direct have a load of karrimor stuff (including hydration packs) very cheap at the mo.
    Then just a waterproof / windproof jacket on top.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Oh! Also got a jacket too :P
  • Which top and shorts would you recommend?

Just get yourself into a decent bike shop, or have a look online. I don't think there is such a thing as perfect gear that fits all, you should buy what you like the look of and what fits. For XC best to get snugger fits, rather than loose flappy stuff. I'm one of the worst brand snobs there is, but I wouldn't for one minute ask on here for suggestions, cycling clothes aren't much different to normal clothes when it comes to what looks good, just get what you like. Race Face, Fox, Specialized, all make good stuff, but no doubt many on here will try to tempt you with what they believe looks/is the best. I do buy bike specific clothing, but always try it on and only buy what feels unobtrusive and doesn't chafe.

For this time of the year you need a base layer, a long sleeve jersey and a decent waterproof breathable jacket. For shorts it depends on whether you are going to ride in the rain and mud. Personally I just wear leggings (Karrimors) under Specialized shorts, which aren't exactly waterproof but I don't care about that too much. The leggings don't exactly look cool either, but I don't really care as long as my knees are warm.
    Ridley Orion
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    General set up for my rides is normally :

Base layer from Aldi
    Berhaus long sleeve top
    Altura water proof jacket
    Enduro 3/4 length bottoms
    Seal Skinz Waterproof socks
    Karrimor shoes (comfy, good grip etc)
    Gloves vary depending on conditions
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • hot weather: Padded shorts, short sleeve tech top, fingerless gloves, helmet, thin ankle socks and merrell sandals

cool: padded shorts, short sleeve, altura neoprene gloves, gilet, helmet, sealskinz, gore tex merrells

freezing: Padded shorts, leggings, long sleeve, sealskinz technical mtb gloves gilet helmet, sealskinz/merino woolie boolies, gore tex merrells
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    man-kini , day-glo pink.
    :D
  • Meh, i have a full set of rowing kit that provides all the tech stuff, as a bonus it matches my bike.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Lycra ninja suit, so that passers by can see every vein.

Or, random shorts, and some sort of wicking jersey thing. My standard riding top is a £5 mountain warehouse base layer. It even looks quite good :)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Baggy shorts and T shirts and a full face helmet for me. It kinda hurts when your chin skids along the deck :lol:
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    full face? this is for xc :roll:
  • i wear whatever, though i am considering investing in a base layer and some decent trousers that are not so baggy they catch on the teeth and rip.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    north-sure wrote:
    i wear whatever, though i am considering investing in a base layer and some decent trousers that are not so baggy they catch on the teeth and rip.

Considering? Surely the economics of it would be cheaper to buy a pair of say 3/4s so you arnt destroying a pair of baggy trousers every ride.
  • Briggo wrote:
    north-sure wrote:
    i wear whatever, though i am considering investing in a base layer and some decent trousers that are not so baggy they catch on the teeth and rip.

Considering? Surely the economics of it would be cheaper to buy a pair of say 3/4s so you arnt destroying a pair of baggy trousers every ride.

ha, no i have been wearing shorts but at this time of the year its far too cold. I learnt my lesson after the first time.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Just wear some womens tights, my missus always trying tell me they keep you warm although I dont believe her.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    ha, no i have been wearing shorts but at this time of the year its far too cold. I learnt my lesson after the first time.
    Really? I'm fine with shorts at this time of year, even if it's snowing - there normal ones too, not even cycling specific. They are quite long though, but not 3/4 length and i don't do night rides etc.
  • ha, no i have been wearing shorts but at this time of the year its far too cold. I learnt my lesson after the first time.
    Really? I'm fine with shorts at this time of year, even if it's snowing - there normal ones too, not even cycling specific. They are quite long though, but not 3/4 length and i don't do night rides etc.

Yeah, faarrrr too cold, im usually alright, but went out today, thinking my legs would warm up, my hands just froze, so i now need full finger gloves, and my legs did not warm up, turned back and 10 mins after i got in it started snowing, i was nice and cosy after a shower by then.

Summer is different though, shorts and t-shirt do me fine. Mine are not cycling specific either, sometimes boardshorts, other times just like skate shorts.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • One thing i've learnt is that if you feel warm when you're stationary before you start a ride, then you've got too many layers on. I've lost count of the number of times i've had to remove a layer after 20 minutes of riding.
    Custom FS built around a Mongoose Otero frame
    CUBE Ltd Race
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I bought a pair of Endura Humvee shorts recently. Expensive compared to the bog standard Umbro 3/4 length shorts I'm used to wearing, but really impressed with them, they fit so much better and are really comfortable.

Lately I've been wearing padded shorts with 3/4 length shorts over the top, a base layer, long sleeved footie/Berghaus top and a waterproof jacket to keep the wind off. When it's been very cold I'll wear 3/4 length padded 'tights', or full length Karrimor jogging tights under my baggy shorts. Also, full finger gloves, helmet, Karrimor trail shoes (brilliant buy, around £20-30, waterproof, warm, hardwearing, grippy on pedals and on the ground). And I've just got a buff which I'll wear tonight as it's sooooo cold.

So not much :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Got some Endura SingleTrack trousers from Santa and they're ace. Been out 4 times since Chrimbo and the trousers don't catch on the bike at all.

They've got some zips on at thigh level that open up some fish gill style air vents so that you can cool you down on the uphill bits.

I've never been bothered about fashion on a trail - just whatever works. As asdfhjkl said, you're only going to get covered in mud anyway!!
  • eyko
    eyko Posts: 68
    Just bought some full finger gloves this morning, as yesterday was a tad too cold for my fingerless ones.

Other than that I have my seal skinz waterproof socks (and another pair of normal socks underneath), some old trainers, tee shirt (long or short sleeve depending on what comes out of the draw first), and some endura shorts with the lycra padding.

I also have a nice bright yellow lightweight cag in my bag, incase it rains or the wind is particularly strong.

Never really had a big issue with the cold, cycling hard keeps you warm anyway :P.

Oh and of course my helmet.

(Although if it is particuallry freezing or I plan on doing quite a long ride, I do double up on the tee shirt front, and tuck them in. Keeps the heat in well)
    FCN 7
  • Being a new kid on the scene as such I have just gone through the kitting out stage, currently I have a pair of Karrimor leggings I got from sports direct for a tenner, over that I wear an old pair of knee length shorts. I have a base layer top I bought from Mountain Warehouse and depending on the weather I either wear a hoody style top, a fleece jacket or a water proof top that I sweat to much in. On my feet I have a pair of seal skin socks and waterproof hiking boots. Only had these two items since xmas but since I started wearing them my feet are lovely dry and toastie warm. On my hands I have a pair of Gore gloves (can't remember the type) but they were on special

When funds permit I will be looking for a decent pair of padded shorts but not until I have lost a bit weight, no point buying some now and then finding they are to big in a couple of months and a decent top.

Tim
  • GTi-R23
    GTi-R23 Posts: 175
    I was out riding Llandegla a good few months ago casually minding my own business, and a geezer in jeans and a sweatshirt came flying up behind me on a bike that looked like he dragged it out of the nearest ditch after it'd been there for 10yrs. I had a quiet word with myself, manned the fuck up and rode away from him.
    The moral of the story is, he was doing ok in jeans and a sweatshirt, so wear whatever you feel most comfortable in that keeps the mud and water out.
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    In the summer a t-shirt, shorts (sometimes maybe 3/4s), socks, trainers. None of the stuff is cycling specific. :P

Now - 3 pairs of socks, trainers, long johns, 3/4s, one long-sleeved t-shirt then a short-sleeved one on top, a hoodie and it was just a hat, but today I had like a bandana and a helmet on - which was actually closer to being warm than cold!

But... yeah - not what you would call "cycling-specific" stuff at the very least. :P

But I am fairly new to riding often as previously it was a few times a year as I used to swim a lot.
  • I use decent lycra shorts with baggies over, summer be some sort of cycling top. winter is a base layer with a windproof top. but it's only -5 or so around the south east. and your never far from villages/town/train stations etc.
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    I use decent lycra shorts with baggies over, summer be some sort of cycling top. winter is a base layer with a windproof top. but it's only -5 or so around the south east. and your never far from villages/town/train stations etc.

Wonder what you are smoking... :lol:
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    kitting meself out for a long ride this week i stumbled on my old mans gaiters (proper old school hiking gear: zipped sheets of waterproof material which hook onto front of boots and wrap around the lower legs), thought sod it and stuck em on over my goretex trainers and old walking trousers.......

.....brilliant, kept the snow out, socks dry, trousers out of the chainrings and offered some protection to the shins from undergrowth/pedal strike, not sure i could carry them off with shorts though?

moral of the story, dont worry about bike-specific (except for padding): mix and match, discount hiking gear works fine for me, go with what keeps you comefy.
  • The only things that i have that are cycle specific are a pair of Animal shorts and what are to be my new spd shoes. I wear a nike base layer that i used to wear for rugby that works just fine and a pair of snickers workwear skin leggings that keep you well toasty and a t-shirt and if required a water proof jacket,

I am considering buying a new jacket but have spent alot of pennies over xmas and new year culminating in my new bike, so will have to see what the better half says!

Richard