ICE: Had to walk most of the way this morning

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
...and now I think I've got some minor chest infection. Flem and coughing. :oops:

I got up earlier as I knew it would be cold, opened the curtains in the front room to see the thickest ice covering everything. Decided to head off 30 minutes earlier so I could walk and determine if it was safe to ride. It wasnt. I'm glad I did too as I had to walk until the last mile or more before the roads defrosted.

My tyres just dont like ice. Infact my shoes didnt like it much either and nearly went over a fair few times. :oops: :lol: Tomorrow is looking icey and showery on top. Might have to leave the bike at home and hop on the bus instead.

I take my hat (or helmet) off to the few other cyclists I saw who did brave the road and ride! :)

Comments

• I did cycle this morning but roads did not appear to be gritted. I actually changed my route to stick to roads that buses use in the hope they would be. Just took it slow on the hilly bits and it was fine.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    downfader wrote:
    ...and now I think I've got some minor chest infection. Flem and coughing. :oops:

You know cold weather doesn't cause immediate chest infections, right? Though now you have one you shouldn't ride until you're recovering.
  • downfader
    biondino wrote:
    downfader wrote:

You know cold weather doesn't cause immediate chest infections, right? Though now you have one you shouldn't ride until you're recovering.

If my years studying microbiology were anything to go by its around 15 hours. Though was also out yesterday for a long walk to the supermarket and got stuck in snow (yes I know, it snowed here for a full 3 minutes :shock: ) and light showers. So that didnt help.

I'm laying off the cycling tomorrow. Even getting a blimmin cold thesedays seems to go to my chest. Must be getting to that age, LOL
  • Recovering at home myself with horrible burning cough - had a temperature too so made the mistake of calling the flu pandemic helpline (had been in bed asleep all day and couldn't bring myself to move much). I'm sure if you have a cold and a temperature, then the result is 'swine flu'. Next day, feeling much better, temp gone, but horrible chesty cough still very horrible and unlikely to be on the bike again this year now I guess. I didn't go and get my tamiflu, called my doctor instead and he advised me not to take it as I plainly didn't have flu, never mind swine flu.

PS I never ride when there is a risk of ice after 2 falls on it, both in front of cars, both with nothing I could have done to stay on.
  • Maybe its been a blessing that I haven't been cycling in recently (mainly due to awaiting lock to give bike a fighting chance in Shirley, not to mention that this postie round is deceptively tiring in Nursling), didn't realise we had ice around Lances Hill; Chessel Avenue etc. in our neck of the woods, Downfader. :shock: (might be due to me leaving for work ~0825)

Edit: Predicting sleet and snow in Bitterne later, almost as rare as hen's teeth! EEK! :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • downfader
    One of the Philipino lads at work was telling me it was going to snow tomorrow and thursday he said. He's dead excited about it LOL! :D

Does make me laugh. I often get into work when its been icey and say "did you see that ice everywhere?" They look at me confused. Either the council grit the other side of the water or theres a temperature difference. :lol: