How to commute safely in the snow?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Snow.

I ride a road bike. What provisions do I have to take/make on my roadbike to ensure it is safe to be used when snowing in London*? Serious question.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    Neither of your road bikes will take CX tyres, therefore the only thing you can do other than just riding them is to leave them at home.
  • Rapha Urban Snow Plow. Fits to your front wheel. Cardboard painted black and pink. £19,995.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Snow.

I ride a road bike. What provisions do I have to take/make on my roadbike to ensure it is safe to be used when snowing in London*? Serious question.

Seriously?

Keep it indoors until the snow melts.

Road tyres and snow are not a happy mix. Even putting nobblies on (assuming your frame has clearance for them) I wouldn't fancy it.

Snow = work from home <cough SNOWMEN cough> or drive. Boris waived the CC last year for those who drove in.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • lower tyre pressure, no sharp movements. And relax.
  • DonDaddyD
    whyamihere wrote:
    Neither of your road bikes will take CX tyres, therefore the only thing you can do other than just riding them is to leave them at home.

So all the SCR bunch:

Prince
    Bass
    Jonginge
    MonsterMonkey
    Clever Pun
    LiTs
    G66
    GregT

etc will be catching public transport come when it snows and settles?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Fit smaller wheels with fat, grippy tyres for more grip. Disc or V brakes for better stopping power. More robust frame in case you do crash. Flat bars so you can distribute weight more evenly. Do all that and you'll be fine! ;)

(been waiting a long time to post a response like that, the "commuting for beginners" thread seems like only yesterday!)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    Didn't some of the SCR regulars do HOTA in the snow?

Is the snow ever that bad in London?

Possibly break out the mountain bike?

(you may realise those are questions rather than an answer :? )
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Get on saddle, pedal.

The only thing I'd probably change hardware wise are pedals - road pedals + snow = bad idea (but I then again, I battle to see the point of commuting on road style pedals in any conditions).

Last year during the snow I happily rode my bike around on 25c road slicks with no real issues. Just like singlespeedexplosif says, take it nice an easy.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Greg66 wrote:
    Snow = work from home <cough SNOWMEN cough> or drive. Boris waived the CC last year for those who drove in.

That would be wrong and morally reprehensible.

So would building a snowman during working from home time.
  • DonDaddyD

Ever see a film where people are stranded in the desert and its safer to 'keep going' instead of 'heading back'. ITB CJCP(I think) and Linsen where in that scenario.

Its a violent snow that is fun on foot in side roads, quickly gets crunched into slush and ice on main roads, which makes riding quite tricky. THis is if it settles. Thing is there is a lot of traffic in London so the main roads may be clear and the side roads may still be covered in the stuff.
    Possibly break out the mountain bike?

Was thinking about this, I have a Giant M2 with disc brakes that could be rebuilt.... and given more robust tyres...
    Food Chain number = 4

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'll be replace the road tyres with cross tyres. Richmond Park would be an absolute blast.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    MatHammond wrote:
    Fit smaller wheels with fat, grippy tyres for more grip. Disc or V brakes for better stopping power. More robust frame in case you do crash. Flat bars so you can distribute weight more evenly. Do all that and you'll be fine! ;)

(been waiting a long time to post a response like that, the "commuting for beginners" thread seems like only yesterday!)

Hmmm - a mountain bike? Or even....dare I say it..... a HYBRID?

DDD, I'm sure you mentioned a while back you have/had an Escape M2?
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Last year was an exception in London - but even then the main routes were passable on a road bike with care. I'd have walked up to the main road if I had tried to go anywhere though as the side roads were lethal.
  • Well I'm presuming (if it comes to it) that my route will be gritted, so I'll be on the fixie.

If it proper snows like last year then I'll be at home making snowmen.
  • DonDaddyD
    R_T_A wrote:

DDD, I'm sure you mentioned a while back you have/had an Escape M2?

After 3 winters in the Garden, in the snow it was fine still shifting and braking. Gave it to my brother for the summer and now needs fixing... could be an option though.
    Food Chain number = 4

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yeah. I fell off during HOTA where it had settled and were no car tracks. Slowed down a bit after that ;)
    I WFH on the snow days that followed and did more work than those who struggled in ;)
    Not often, no. Probably not that likely this time, either
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    WTF? It's London. There's so much traffic there that the snow will barely stick.

It's not like you are in rural Wales.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Roastie wrote:
    Get on saddle, pedal.

The only thing I'd probably change hardware wise are pedals - road pedals + snow = bad idea (but I then again, I battle to see the point of commuting on road style pedals in any conditions).

Last year during the snow I happily rode my bike around on 25c road slicks with no real issues. Just like singlespeedexplosif says, take it nice an easy.

+1

I lost no more than a week due to snow at the start of the year. Taking it easy and no sharp movements are the order of the day. And an ability to anticipate what the other numpties on the road are about to do always helps :wink:

A top tip is leave the :roll: clear glasses at home, I tried them several times during the last bout of snow, only for the snow flakes to settle on the lenses and leave me blind :shock: And de-frosting eyelashes can be painful.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    ooo, didn't check the 5 day forecast, light snow and sleet showers in London!

I look forward to watching my mate who I commute with try and tackle -3 sleet showers in running shorts & un-windproof & un-waterproof layers :lol:
  • Aidy
    Aidy wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Ahem.

IMG_0098.JPG
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Soft. Southern.... :lol::lol::lol:
    More problems but still living....
  • cjcp
    WTF? It's London. There's so much traffic there that the snow will barely stick.

It's not like you are in rural Wales.

Usually, that's right. However, what set the snowfall in Feb this year apart from other years was that it started to fall on a Sunday evening and then overnight, when traffic was naturally much lighter. In late 2002/early 2003 (?), it started to fall late afternoon, but it caused more problems out towards the M25 than in town.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Is the snow ever that bad in London

Its a violent snow that is fun on foot in side roads, quickly gets crunched into slush and ice on main roads, which makes riding quite tricky. THis is if it settles. Thing is there is a lot of traffic in London so the main roads may be clear and the side roads may still be covered in the stuff.

The problem with snow isn't you, your bike or your riding it's what every other half- wit is doing.

If I were you I'd be planning to leave a bit earlier in the morning to avoid these people and get through what ever snow is about before it turns to slush or begins to refreeze.

You can always get PT home.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Aidy
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    So all the SCR bunch:

LiTs

Wait.

Is there more than one of her?
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Aidy wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Serious points x 2:
    1. I have done the snow + road bike + road thing (Bucks had some snow last winter, something of a rarity down in the valley bit) - and I came a total cropper in front of a car, which fortunately stopped. Break out the walking boots or WFH...which brings me to point 2:
    2. WFH (working from home) is in my mind a marvellous thing but very fragile - many companies don't trust their employees not to abuse the privilege, eg by making snowmen. Seriously, I've been based at home for my job and it requires discipline, so don't ruin other people's chance of a better home - life balance by being lazy and selfish (not that DDD would, it strikes me you're a decent kind of chap).

Having said that, I'm WFH as I write this...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • cjcp
    The problem with snow isn't you, your bike or your riding it's what every other half- wit is doing.

That's a major concern. We ain't in Scandinavia, we don't have snow tyres. Global warming will completely screw us.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    On the one day a year, if that, that there is snow on the ground in London I will simply buy a day travelcard and get the train.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • One of those contraptions that have the rear wheel replaced by "caterpilllar tracks" used by vehicles such as tanks? :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • DonDaddyD
    So to recap.

WFH isn't yet an option because (i) I'm new (ii) I haven't seen an IT system in the office that can enable me to do this. (iii) I leave five minutes away from both the Northern and District Line Tube as well as a major train station and the people at work know this...

If I cycle, take it easy, no sharp movements and anticpate further into the future than I do already.

Alternatively get a hybrid/mountain bike but still do the above.

London doesn't have snow that settles unless it falls on a Sunday or bank holiday, then your screwed.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:

So all the SCR bunch:

Prince
    Bass
    Jonginge
    MonsterMonkey
    Clever Pun
    LiTs
    G66
    GregT

etc will be catching public transport come when it snows and settles?

Public transport? Wash your mouth out with soapy water young man. I've not heard the like of such language since I was down the docks (helping GregT out of an unfortunate assignation that didn't go according to plan, but that's another story).

Last Feb I dug out the snow around the car, and cranked her up. Audi = quattro = smug *and* fun drive in.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A