First-timer - Choosing & changing a chainring

deelaw
deelaw Posts: 4
edited December 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

So, I have just purchased my first somewhat serious MTB on eBay, but after receiving it I realised it doesn't quite have enough top-end (for my commuting needs) due to the current chainring setup:
-=Bottom Bracket=-
Crankset Truvativ Hussefelt, 22/32/bash guard, Howitzer Spline BB
Chain KMC Z-9000

-= Complete Bike Specs Here =-
Norco Manik 2008

What I am wanting to do is to either change the 32 chainring to a 42 (creating a 22/42/bashguard setup), or possibly remove the bashguard and stick the 42 in it's place (22/32/42). The current chainrings are 4-bolt and seem to be 104mm BCD (AFAIK this is pretty standard?). Also, here is the 42T chainring that I am considering buying:
FSA 42T Chainring

My questions:
1) Is that 42T chainring appropriate to put on? It states "single chainring use" in the description, but I can't see why I couldn't use it on my crankset in combination with the 22.
2) Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to replace the 32T chainring with the 42? If one were so inclined, could you put any size chainring in any order on the crankset?
3) I like having a bashguard - although all I really need it for is to keep my pants outta the chain. Is it possible for me to put 3 chainrings on this crankset (22/32/42) and still have some kind of bashguard or chainguard installed?
4) Finally, if I am able to & choose to go with a 22/42/bashguard setup, is there any considerations in swapping the 32 bashguard with a 42 bashguard?
5) One more thing - after I've changed the chainring, will I need to re-jig the front derailleur or chain or otherwise fine-tune any part of the bike to keep it shifting gears smoothly?

Thanks for any advice, I just want to avoid buying the wrong stuff on the internet and realising it's useless to my cause.

Comments

• leon69
    leon69 Posts: 53
    Hi
    you dont say what the bike is but if its a downhill or free ride bike witch it sounds ,you put a 42 on it its going to brake your leg's :P (be very hard to pedel )

problems you may have with a 42 is it may hit your frame being biger then what the bike may have been made for

a 42 will also need a new chain as the 42 is biger the chain will need to be longer and the front mec will need moved up to clear the 42 tooth ring

you could try a 36 tooth be faster then the 32 but may not hit the frame but is still a nice ring size for off road ... your going to need a new chain and move the mec up the mid tube to clear the 36 tooth ring still

on a side note you should allways put a new chain on a new chain ring as the old chain will be slitly worped out of shape with age witch will match the worping on the old chain ring but will not like the new chain ring and ware it out faster

bash gard's you got me there, i know there are lots out there but thats all i know about them sorry
    If you dont bleed your not trying ...
  • Hm, thanks for your reply leon - I didn't consider whether or not there will be clearance to fit a 42T chainring, so I might go take a measurement... I modified the original post so you can see the complete specs & a picture of the bike if you wanna check it out just hit the link.

In reply to your other question, I have to admit I don't really go offroad often (although I am looking into this), my main purpose for the bike is just getting to work & riding through hilly suburbia to mates houses etc; however I am a bit aggressive & I like to hop curbs/median strips/roundabouts & tear around corners which is why I got a bike a bit more serious than my current apollo which is basically falling to bits from abuse. The Norco is solid as a rock (and damn heavy) but nevertheless on flat road with a 32 I'm pedalling like a rat on a wheel, so I know I need something bigger, but I'm not sure how far to go - 42 was my guess, but maybe a 36 or 38 may be enough.

The suburban terrain I ride on is quite varied, there are street slopes that are literally > 45 degrees so I do need the low range, but theres also a lot of flat & gentle downhill slopes, hence the need for a big chainring too.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Not really a bike for doing a Commute on.

yes you can fit a 42/44 ring on it by removing the bash.

you will need a new chain (longer) and maybe new chainring bolts (depends on what is fitted).

I would also change the tyres as they dont roll that well.

but again I would save the money and get a RAT bike for commuting.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Neighbour uses a DH Norco for commuting, we get home about the same time, and he looks like he's peddled as far as I have, yet he only does 2.5 miles to my 7.5, get one better suited to the task!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yeah I know it's not the right bike for a quick commute, but it's the perfect bike for getting a lot of exercise when commuting, and ensuring that your commute won't be stopped by a flat or other failure. It's also a lot gentler on the knees & arse IMO... (compared to my current crappy Apollo)

Thanks for the advice guys; I've also just talked to a fella from the local bike shop that says it's possible I may have to get a whole new BB/chain/derailleur depending how the current one can cope with a bigger ring.
  • leon69
    leon69 Posts: 53
    sweet bike, lighter then the Apollo ? :D
    If you dont bleed your not trying ...