How many manufactueres do rear lights powered by front light

Trailradar
Trailradar Posts: 131
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
exposre diablo do a rear light called redeye that is powered by the front torch light. what other ones do? dont light an motion? if so what is it called?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Dinotte ?

Not sure its desirable though - I'd rather go with 2 Smart Half Watts - bright cheap and would still work if my front light failed. Dont like all my eggs in one basket.
  • the exposure ones are brilliant, super bright.

Not sure who else does them, probably B&M though
  • what would be brighter a Exposure redeye rear light (240 lumens) or a MArs 3.0 rear light? Would the redeye be 5 times brighter?

i think the stella light i was thinking off is actually the redeye because the design is similar. :oops:
  • The redeye is limited to one third power, it is bright enough though. I use one connected to a Joystick, it is a really good rear light.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Trailradar wrote:
    what would be brighter a Exposure redeye rear light (240 lumens) or a MArs 3.0 rear light? Would the redeye be 5 times brighter?

i think the stella light i was thinking off is actually the redeye because the design is similar. :oops:

Why would you need a 240 lumen rear light? Do you cycle backwards?
    More problems but still living....
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    The redeye is limited to one third power, it is bright enough though. I use one connected to a Joystick, it is a really good rear light.

Exactly - its 80 lumens - you just dont need anymore power for a rear imo. Though the Dinotte is WAY brighter - thats an EVIL rear light. The Redeye is visible in daylight, good if the sun is hitting you in the face to alert drivers that you're infront of them.

B&M do power the rear along with the front if you get the dynamo light. Very good light set up I'm told if you can live with dynamo.

IMO if you're going down this route (as I have with the Race and Redeye) you need to accomodate for extra lights as backup.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm not sure any light is too much use in the case of drivers being blinded by the sun. How bright is the sun versus our lights.

If I cant see where I'm headed - I'll get off that road as soon as possible. You cant trust drivers to be sensible in these conditions - some will carry on assuming their way is clear.
  • downfader
    cougie wrote:
    I'm not sure any light is too much use in the case of drivers being blinded by the sun. How bright is the sun versus our lights.

If I cant see where I'm headed - I'll get off that road as soon as possible. You cant trust drivers to be sensible in these conditions - some will carry on assuming their way is clear.

Oddly, and this is obviously no proof, I seem to get less smidsys when I run the lights in these conditions. I was put on to this by a motorcyclist who told me about how he'd put his lamps on and I thought "I'll give it a go and see what happens, nothing to lose" :)

I agree though - if it gets really bad you sometimes need to weight it up and sometimes that does mean getting off, changing route etc.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Headlights on cars make a bit of a difference when you are driving into the sun.
    They also help in fallling rain, mist, dusk, dawn in fact they help with visibility when used correctly in all conditions. I drive with lights on by default even in cars I can switch them off in.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • the literature states redeye as 240 lumens but other places 80 lumens. Does it really run at one third of power? 240 /3 = 80?

I think Dinotte have released a newer and better tail light than the other one. has better mounting and battery options too.
  • downfader
    Trailradar wrote:
    the literature states redeye as 240 lumens but other places 80 lumens. Does it really run at one third of power? 240 /3 = 80?

I think Dinotte have released a newer and better tail light than the other one. has better mounting and battery options too.

It is indeed reduced in lumens (so as not to burn your face off if riding/driving behind)

IMO tail lights need to be bright but theres a limit. Some of the ones with large surface areas are really good too and thats often just as effective
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    There is a new REdeye due out that is independent and does not run off the front light battery

Personally I like the Dinotte on my rear carrier, but the more compact Redeye would be better.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • The Redeye LED's are 240 Lumen "capable" but only emit 80 Lumens. I think its Exposures way of saying, these lights are great, and they can more the handle the 80 Lumens they are emitting.

I have two, one attached to my Exposure Joystick and mounted on my helmet, and one running off a small piggy back battery on the frame of the bike. I have an Exposure Maxx D on the front with the remote switch using the port that you could otherwise connect the rear light to, hence powering the Redeye from the main light.

Most of my riding is dark country roads, and the Redeyes are fab. Very bright. The only thing I would comment on is that they sit "flush" on your seatpost, which means they point down slightly on my bike as the seatpost (like most) is not at 90 degrees to the ground (does that make sense?) I've packed a bit of insulating tape behind mine to get it into a more "level" position. Exposure should do some sort of adjustable mount really for it. But, despite this, they are more then sufficient to make you seen.

Dex.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    The problem being size......

To use the 240 lumen it would be a joystick with a red light. The plan appears to be a smaller size - 80 lumens is a third of the battery usage and allows the smaller package.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)