wheel upgrade

slmracing
slmracing Posts: 26
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Hello this is my first post on here. I have a trek 7.3 fx hybrid that i use for work its done 2700 miles and i have noticed the rear wheel rim is very worn is that what you would expect for the miles? what would be the best option for upgrading the wheels and also would i benefit from disk brakes as i ride in all kinds of weather :? :?

Comments

• markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    Sounds unusual to have that much rear rim wear so soon. Do you ride on very gritty roads? Have the rim checked to see if the aluminium hasn't been hardened properly.
    I think disc brakes are better all round, but it would cost a disproportionate amount to have them retro-fitted.
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • yes i ride on some bad roads all i can think of is the rear brake blocks have been collecting grit in the rain and acting like a grinder when i brake. I go down some big hills on the way home so alot of braking, bugger.
  • elcani
    elcani Posts: 280
    Hi

If your rear rim is badly worn and the front isn't, that suggests you are mainly using you back brake. Read this http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html to see why that's a bad idea.

Having said that, my GF has a Trek 7.3FX and it has rear disc mounts on the frame, so you could fit a mechanical rear disc like an Avid BB7. I think one of these should work with your current levers, but check as I could well be wrong.

I terms of wheels, her bike has mountain bike hub spacing (135mm) with 700c wheels, a combination that limits the the number of off-the-shelf wheels that are available. Mavic do the Speed City (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=12896) but it's pricy. If you didn't want to upgrade to discs you could just get your LBS to rebuild the current wheel with a new rim, which would be a lot cheaper.

My advice would be to just get a new rim, change your braking habits and wipe down your rims and pads as often as you can to keep them clean - which will reduce wear.

Cheers
  • elcani thanks for the reply just read your link //www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html i have been using the rear brake far too much, cycling is easy doing the odd sunday ride with the kids but once you start to do some serious miles thats a different story :D:D
  • elcani
    elcani Posts: 280
    No worries - Sheldon Brown (RIP) is the go-to guy for almost anything bike/cycling related. Loads of useful stuff on that site if you get into doing your own maintenance or building your own bikes.

I always used to brake with the back brake, I think it came from being a kid when any stopping that didn't involve a big rear wheel skid was a wasted opportunity! However, the laws of physics mean it's almost always safer and better to use the front, as sheldon explains.

Cheers.