Track Training??

Bonno
Bonno Posts: 69
edited December 2009 in Track
Thinking of having a go at a few pursuits next year. (pursuits only )
Having never ridden track before and quite a drive from the nearest one, i was wondering, could i turn up at a track meet and race virtually straight off or do i need training sessions to get used to riding the track??

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    In theory there are some events that you could enter and turn up and ride at without prior experience, training or accreditation but to be honest that would be a very irresponsible thing to do.

The point about track training is to teach safety, etiquette and behaviour on the track as much as it is to race. The track environment is pretty dangerous and I certainly wouldn’t want to be sharing or warming up on track just prior to a possibly important event with someone that has never ridden the track before.

There is no short cut. Go and get some proper training and experience first - most of us have long distances to travel to get quality track time.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Bonno
    Bonno Posts: 69
    Ok, thanks for that Eddy.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I suppose of all the discip;lines the pursuit is probably the one you could try without training on a track, but it's certainly not ideal and you will probably not fulfill your potential as it is quite technical.
    Bunch races are different and you would definately need to visit the track to train, prepare.
    If you go ahead and try to race without visiting a track I suspect you will struggle with the start, pacing for the second lap and pacing in general throughout and holding the correct line.
    As Eddy said most of us live miles away from tracks and still make visits when possible, it is the ony way of you wish to do well.