Matt Rendell interview

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited December 2009 in Pro race
Part 1 of a 3 parter on Daily Peloton

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=16083

Some very interesting observations about the sport and a bit about Cavendish which is worthy of a chuckle when you remember it.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Don't know what to make of Rendell.
    Does a hatchet job on Pantani, outspoken on the subject of doping, yet, was pally with USPS and still is, with VHP, who can add Phonak and Rocky Racing to his list of dodgy teams.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Rendell is the British Version of Rupert Guinness - he likes to keep his pals on board.

And he has one of the most irritating accents to listen to "Voice of Thunder" he has one of those very squeaky voices you would just love to shove a boot in his mouth - maybe violent but would certainly shut him up.
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    Don't know what to make of Rendell.
    Does a hatchet job on Pantani, outspoken on the subject of doping, yet, was pally with USPS and still is, with VHP, who can add Phonak and Rocky Racing to his list of dodgy teams.

Basso's a cheat too
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I don't think he did a hatchet job on Pantani, yes he makes a very solid case that Pantani was doping but we know that so many others were too. Rendell's story seems to suggest Pantani was pushed too hard by those around him, instead of getting treatment for mental illness, depression and addiction, Rendell seems to suggest that many had a vested interest in getting Il Pirata into races and the media spotlight.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Kléber wrote:
    I don't think he did a hatchet job on Pantani, yes he makes a very solid case that Pantani was doping but we know that so many others were too. Rendell's story seems to suggest Pantani was pushed too hard by those around him, instead of getting treatment for mental illness, depression and addiction, Rendell seems to suggest that many had a vested interest in getting Il Pirata into races and the media spotlight.

+ 1

I thought he did a good job of the book. He just about got the balance right between explaining how Marco became what he became, without using those factors as an excuse for him being that way.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Part 2

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=16089

Some excellent observations. I completely agree with what he says about race organisers trying to build a race around a stage.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Very interesting so far but I can't seem to get part3? Can anyone help please?

The idea that drugs could be utilised to create a "level playing field" for disadvantaged countries appears a trifle odd. How would that work then? Some form of seeding system according to how many velodromes/population or at what altitude you live at? If wieghtlifters and boxers have weight categories why not basketball teams having hieght categories and hurdlers having barriers in proportion to their inside leg measurement?

If bikes have to weigh the same, why not riders carrying weight to even things up? My chance may yet come :)
    The older I get the faster I was