My Kinesis Maxlight XC Pro2

mattbarnes
mattbarnes Posts: 295
edited June 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Here it is in its current form but there are plans for a few changes. Lets face it, we're never really 'finished' our bikes are we?

Society is like a stew. You have to stir things up now and again otherwise the scum will rise to the top.

Comments

• mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    There you are:

pbpic4369325.jpg

Nice bike. How much does it weigh?
  • mrfmilo

Thanks, you're a gentleman. I'm clearly technologically inept. HOW DO YOU DO THAT??

The spec is as follows:
    Frame: Maxlight XC Pro2 (Crystal White)
    Forks: FOX F100X
    Wheels: HOPE Pro2 Hubs, Stans 'Olympic' Rims, DT Revolution spokes, DT alloy nipples, KCNC Skewers, Continental 'Light' tubes
    (Front and Rear)
    Tyres: Maxxis Larsen TT Exception Series (Front and Rear)
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 7 (Front and Rear) with Alligator Cirrus 160mm Discs
    Bars: KCNC SC Bone flat bar
    Bar Ends: Smica
    Stem: KCNC SC Wing
    Headset: KCNC Kudos Q1
    Seat Post: KCNC SC Pro
    Saddle: SDG Ti Fly
    Front Shifter: SRAM XO trigger shifter
    Rear Shifter: SRAM XO Gripshift
    Front Mech: Shimano XT
    Rear Mech: SRAM XO
    Chainset: XTR M970 Cranks (custom - hand polished) with TA Specialties Sismic rings
    Chain: KCNC Superlight 9Spd
    Pedals: Crank Bros. Eggbeater SL
    Cassette: Shimano XT
    + HOPE Seatclamp, KCNC headset spacers, Avid Flak-Jacket cables, Bontrager Ergo grips.

It weighs in at just over 21lbs. Not stupid-light but a good compromise of weight to strength.
    Society is like a stew. You have to stir things up now and again otherwise the scum will rise to the top.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    that is very pretty, i like.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    the white and red combo work really well

that spec is very good as well and it's really light too. nice job
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    really like that lovely build :)
  • mrfmilo
    mattbarnes wrote:
    mrfmilo

Thanks, you're a gentleman. I'm clearly technologically inept. HOW DO YOU DO THAT??

The spec is as follows:
    Frame: Maxlight XC Pro2 (Crystal White)
    Forks: FOX F100X
    Wheels: HOPE Pro2 Hubs, Stans 'Olympic' Rims, DT Revolution spokes, DT alloy nipples, KCNC Skewers, Continental 'Light' tubes
    (Front and Rear)
    Tyres: Maxxis Larsen TT Exception Series (Front and Rear)
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 7 (Front and Rear) with Alligator Cirrus 160mm Discs
    Bars: KCNC SC Bone flat bar
    Bar Ends: Smica
    Stem: KCNC SC Wing
    Headset: KCNC Kudos Q1
    Seat Post: KCNC SC Pro
    Saddle: SDG Ti Fly
    Front Shifter: SRAM XO trigger shifter
    Rear Shifter: SRAM XO Gripshift
    Front Mech: Shimano XT
    Rear Mech: SRAM XO
    Chainset: XTR M970 Cranks (custom - hand polished) with TA Specialties Sismic rings
    Chain: KCNC Superlight 9Spd
    Pedals: Crank Bros. Eggbeater SL
    Cassette: Shimano XT
    + HOPE Seatclamp, KCNC headset spacers, Avid Flak-Jacket cables, Bontrager Ergo grips.

It weighs in at just over 21lbs. Not stupid-light but a good compromise of weight to strength.

Right click the image you want to post, click on properties and you will see a URL, ending with jpg. Copy at past that between the <here> tags and voila.

And not stupid-light?? :shock: Light enough for me!
  • Ah, like this....?

[img]C:\Users\Wor%20Computa\Pictures\bike1.jpg[/img]

or this

[img]C:\Users\Wor%20Computa\Pictures\100_2291.jpg[/img]
  • mrfmilo
    No, the image can't be on your computer, has to be on the internet. So upload it to Photobucket, flickr etc. etc. and then right click......
  • :roll:

Its official, I really am cr@p at this. Fingers crossed...

pbpic4369213.jpg

and

pbpic3386258.jpg
  • mrfmilo
    Better :wink:
  • nice spec, did you polish the crank yourself?
  • I did. I'd had them from the time they were released in 2007 (?) and after a couple of years of abuse they were starting to look scruffy. It was a it of a chore but they're ceratinly always a talking point. I'll be ditching them soon as I'm going for a double ring set-up.
  • jay12
    mattbarnes wrote:
    I did. I'd had them from the time they were released in 2007 (?) and after a couple of years of abuse they were starting to look scruffy. It was a it of a chore but they're ceratinly always a talking point. I'll be ditching them soon as I'm going for a double ring set-up.
    shame. they are so shiny :lol:
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Nice bike, do you race? Do they still make gripshift shifters then? I was just thinking the other day its ages since I've seen any...
  • jay12
    ravey1981 wrote:
    Nice bike, do you race? Do they still make gripshift shifters then? I was just thinking the other day its ages since I've seen any...
    sram X0 gripshifters are stil being produced and are £80 odd for the pair http://www.sram.com/en/srammountain/components/x0/twistshifter.php
    they also make x9 versions too for a bit cheaper
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Ah so they are... Always been a shimano man myself. Tried the sram triggers but didn't like them....
  • ravey1981 wrote:

I did a couple of local races this year and I'm hoping to do a few more next year. The Maxlight is perfectly at home on the race circuit so it seems a shame not to horse it around.
    As odd as it seems, I run an XO Gripshift for the back and an XO trigger to operate the front mech. Strange I know, but I like it.
  • mattbarnes
    A few changes/upgrades...

Still not finished though!

p4pb5219600.jpg

p4pb5219614.jpg
  • alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    I'm liking the new fork decals, it's a nice touch. Where did you get them??
  • mattbarnes
    Got them from ebay. A bargain price of £3.50. Just search for 'Fox decals' and see what comes up.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Are those regular bolts on the rings with spacers?
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    As the pic was loading, I was liking it til...

I saw the carbon rear end.

Just me I suppose, not into the C stuff for off-road, but nice set up overall.

Thinking of a similar "negative" version based on deep green frame/black rear.

Watch-this-space...
  • mattbarnes
    Are those regular bolts on the rings with spacers?

Yeah, they are regular bolts (albeit with a slight 'modification') and washers. Because the cranks are all carbon, I had to use the washers to spread the load to avoid damaging the spider.
  • mrfmilo
    8) Prefer DH bikes but wouldn't mind one of those 8)
  • jaysonski
    jaysonski Posts: 128
    nice looking bike, the new crank is nice, the old one looked great, how did you polish it?
    XO gripshifters are brilliant, i had them before they released thumbshifters, i liked the fact you could 'trim' the front mech to stop chain noise when moving up & down the rear block.
    great attention to detail, ive started buying all the anodised straitline stuff for my el guapo, im gonna put some pics up when its finished
  • reevie25
    reevie25 Posts: 254
    I like all the red bits on your bike, love the custom look of the fork decals. I'm very jealous :D