First ride ever and hooked any other good places?

Lynx_516
Lynx_516 Posts: 14
edited December 2009 in Routes
I've been a roadie for quite a few years but built up a mountain bike earlier in the year to use as a commuter and to give riding on dirt a try.

For the first time in a long while I had some free time yesterday so I took my bike to Thetford to see what it was like.

I got lost a few times and found the trails in fairly bad nick (lots of pot holes filled with water), but really enjoyed it. Got back to my car with the bike covered in mud and can't wait to go again.

One handy cap does seem to be living in a flat part of the world, I have found out about Thetford (which I hear is quite easy and as I didn't find it that bad I assume it is) and Chicksands. Is there anywhere else around Cambridgeshire that is good to ride?

Comments

• Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    i like woburn sands
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Lynx_516 wrote:
    I've been a roadie for quite a few years but built up a mountain bike earlier in the year to use as a commuter and to give riding on dirt a try.

For the first time in a long while I had some free time yesterday so I took my bike to Thetford to see what it was like.

I got lost a few times and found the trails in fairly bad nick (lots of pot holes filled with water), but really enjoyed it. Got back to my car with the bike covered in mud and can't wait to go again.

One handy cap does seem to be living in a flat part of the world, I have found out about Thetford (which I hear is quite easy and as I didn't find it that bad I assume it is) and Chicksands. Is there anywhere else around Cambridgeshire that is good to ride?
    as you progress, it will be worth a trip to wales, the lake district, or similar, i would particularily recomend the swansea area of south wales (cuz i live there!) as its close to the awsome trails at Afan, and also the great trails in Brechfa forest.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Rutland Water is ok - there is the 23 miles route round the reservoir itself or get a map and head of on the bridleways nearby
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Lots and lots of Bridleways around Rutland, much better than the cycle track
  • http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/achs-5rneev

for when you feel like a weekend away :lol:
    Pop up and see me :lol:
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    theres proper northshore too :):)