Sorry! What light set, budget £30 ish.

littleandy0410
littleandy0410 Posts: 631
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
I'm really sorry :oops: , I know light threads come up a lot, but I've used the search, and can't find what i'm after. :(

My Inlaws are wanting to buy a set of lights for my bro-in-law for Christmas, for his commute to work. They were looking at these:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Cateye_EL135_And_TL-LD130_Light_Set/5360025775/

I have a Blackburn Mars 4 rear, a Smart 1/2 watt LED rear, and this set: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Smart-Smart-B-Spoke-1-2-Watt-LED-Lightset_13031.htm
(and 2 tesco 3W cree 2AA LED torches with mounts, but not sure that's an option)

All of these I would say were better for a rear light than the Cateye, but not sure about the front.

Can anyone recommend either a set for c.£30, or a good front for c.£20, or would either of the suggested be the best for the money?

Thanks everyone!
[/url]
Boardman Road Comp '08
Spesh FSR XC Expert '08

Comments

• iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    What kind of roads will be be riding on - urban/under street lights, or rural/dark? Ie. lights to see where he's going, or just to be seen?

I've got a Blackburn Mars 4 and it's great for dark unlit roads.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    2 of the Smart 1/2 Watt sets. 2 lights front and back are better than one, and those lights are great.
  • HIs route will be a mix of 30 zone residential, industrial, NSL main road linking two towns, but with a bit of dark country lane mixed in.

There are going to be some major delays on his normal driving route, due to a new housing estate being built, so he's going to try a few different routes to find the best route, so sometimes he'll be on completely unlit roads. I think obviously being seen is important to him, but also the ability to light the road would be useful.

I had thought 2 sets of the Smart 1/2 watt, but just wondered if there was any better front lights out there.
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • Personally, I think the Smart 1/2 Watt front lights are a bit weedy for unlit riding. A guy at the office has just got a Smart Lunar 35 front light, though, and that seems very good indeed. It's as bright as my DealExtreme torch, which is saying something!
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Dont get that cateye - they really are rubbish. They're ok for people bimbling along only on cyclepaths away from traffic but no use for drivers that need to see you.