Winter gloves

bevans1986
bevans1986 Posts: 29
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
At the moment I am using some woolen thermal sealskin gloves with a pair of 661 MTB gloves over the top......quite frankly on a cold day like today my hands hurt they are so cold.

Has anyone got any recommendations to ease my pain?

Comments

• I have a pair of pearl izumi gavia gloves, and a pair of castelli ones. The castelli are frankly too warm at the moment, but the pearl izumi ones are not too bad. Certainly not cold!

I forget what the castelli ones are called, but they were pretty cheap (£20-ish) so that should narrow it down!
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    I bought a pair from argos the other day for only a 10 spot which I wear underneath my other gloves that bought from O'neill's clothes shop some years back ... work a treat ..
  • If you have just won the lottery or got your Christmas Bonus, have a look at the Assos Winter Glove System (not sold in its entirety at Wiggle). It is a three layer system replacing all the long-finger gloves you would wear from autumn through to early spring.

Review : http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6610 ... -1,00.html

Assos link - http://www.assos.com/#/collections/asso ... es-winter/
    Ribble link : http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... SSOZGLO450
  • bevans1986 wrote:
    At the moment I am using some woolen thermal sealskin gloves with a pair of 661 MTB gloves over the top......quite frankly on a cold day like today my hands hurt they are so cold.

You must be really sensitive to cold!

Most of the chills are due to the wind and/or evaporation. I understand that lobster gloves, or mitts are good - your fingers can keep each other warm.

But a cheap solution would be to try some rubberised gardening gloves over one of the liners you have. These would be a total wind/water break. Typically, this would be undesireable for cycling - cycling gloves try to balance warmth and breathability and dexterity and a rubberised barrier would simply be too hot. But if excess heat is the least of your problems, give it a try.

Its kind of like the "bagel bag" option I've heard (and tried once) for the feet!!
  • If you have just won the lottery or got your Christmas Bonus, have a look at the Assos Winter Glove System (not sold in its entirety at Wiggle). It is a three layer system replacing all the long-finger gloves you would wear from autumn through to early spring.

+1 for this. I would not have paid full price for them, but managed to pick up a set in a clearance sale early Spring, using a credit note that otherwise I had no use for.

Having used them, they're bloody great. If you want the economy version, just go for the gloves. Buy some cheapy polyprop liners somewhere else. The lobster overgloves are really for v cold conditions - I used them a bit around the snowy time we had in Feb; so most years I reckon I could manage without them.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Bought the wife a pair of secondhand motorcycle gourtex gloves off ebay £10

You cant beat motorcycle gloves in the winter months

I also use my gourtex motorcycle gloves in the winter and would not use anything else

jackthelad
  • Vegeeta
    Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
    Presently I am using Endura Deluge gloves which are waterproof and certainly very toasty. I prefer to go for something waterproof rather than a windproof/thermal only offering because it rains in England.

If you really want some seriously warm gloves, check out the Endura Tundra.
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    bevans1986 wrote:

MTFU?

sorry, but it had to be said.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Thanks guys.

I guess maybe I should MTFU however my friends keep on asking me if i've been in a fight, the knuckles of both hands are swollen and bleeding purely (as far as i'm aware) from my ride to and from work everyday. I only wear shorts and jersey (+ base) regardless of weather so maybe this is something I should look at.

The Pearls look good, I will def check them out. Thank you for everyone else s suggestions, I will buy a pair this week and let you know how they go!
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    If you have just won the lottery or got your Christmas Bonus, have a look at the Assos Winter Glove System (not sold in its entirety at Wiggle). It is a three layer system replacing all the long-finger gloves you would wear from autumn through to early spring.

I bought the Assos gloves mentioned above and found them to be an expensive disappointment. :(
  • Maander - in what way?
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I'm quite happy with the Aldi ones - keep an eye out they might get them back in. £5 or so can't be wrong.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,378
    bevans1986 wrote:
    Thanks guys.

I guess maybe I should MTFU however my friends keep on asking me if i've been in a fight, the knuckles of both hands are swollen and bleeding purely (as far as i'm aware) from my ride to and from work everyday.

You may want to mention this to your GP just in case there is any underlying reason.

However in my purely uneducated opinion your problem isn't with your gloves but with the condition of your hands, which will be sensitve to the cold.

I have found a pair of Thinsulate gloves, you know cheap ones from Burtons/Asda etc keep my hands warm though lack a certain breathability.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Sorted.

Having looked around for bike specific gloves online I read Wheezy's post re Thinsulates and remembered I had a pair somewhere, chucked them on over my liners and my hands were nice and toasty this morning. Not the best grip or feel but ok, wouldn't fancy wearing them in the wet though.

As for the GP i'm not too concerned, this is the first year i've been commuting but i've had similar cracked / bleeding knuckles from the cold when doing other sports and it only lasts as long as the weather is cold, if it carried on through the year then I would get concerned!

As for why it does it, could it be because i'm not keeping my core temp high enough and that having a knock on effect? Take today for example - 0 degrees for my ride in to work, I had on:

Two pairs of socks, shorts, compression top, long sleeve top and a football shirt, then the aforementioned gloves and a beanie hat under my helmet.

Now my commute is about 8 miles and takes anywhere between 25 mins and 35 mins depending on traffic etc. Do you think it would help to add layers to my body (which doesn't get cold)?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,378
    Glad you got sorted.

I suggested the medical angle as my wife has a thyroid condition, one of the symptoms of this condition is very dry skin on her hands just as you decribe above.

She treats this with E45 cream and occasionally stronger creams on prescriptions.

Not that I'm suggesting you are a woman, have girlie hands or are ghey :D
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    bevans1986 wrote:
    Sorted.

Having looked around for bike specific gloves online I read Wheezy's post re Thinsulates and remembered I had a pair somewhere, chucked them on over my liners and my hands were nice and toasty this morning. Not the best grip or feel but ok, wouldn't fancy wearing them in the wet though.

As for the GP i'm not too concerned, this is the first year i've been commuting but i've had similar cracked / bleeding knuckles from the cold when doing other sports and it only lasts as long as the weather is cold, if it carried on through the year then I would get concerned!

As for why it does it, could it be because i'm not keeping my core temp high enough and that having a knock on effect? Take today for example - 0 degrees for my ride in to work, I had on:

Two pairs of socks, shorts, compression top, long sleeve top and a football shirt, then the aforementioned gloves and a beanie hat under my helmet.

Now my commute is about 8 miles and takes anywhere between 25 mins and 35 mins depending on traffic etc. Do you think it would help to add layers to my body (which doesn't get cold)?

A windproof jacket or gilet would be worth thinking about. Keep your core temp up and your extremeties will be better off.

I saw a study where they were doing dexterity tests in a sub-zero room, the experiment was repeated for TV with some celebrity guy in it. They had him with an electric warming vest on, but no insulated sleeves or gloves and he was fine with all the tests. Keeping his core temp up had a dramatic effect on his dexterity and percieved warmth at his extremeties.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    so far so good with my sealskinz. Very warm, comfy and waterproof for the 1st half of winter. Has a couple of washes and still going strong so I am confident that these will last a couple of seasons at least.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Stuey01 wrote:
    bevans1986 wrote:

MTFU?

sorry, but it had to be said.

MTFU exactly. beat me to it!!
    I'm still doing my daily commute in my thinnies. no wind or rain protection for me. :lol:
  • gloves are for girls, none here, only cold bit is the hole in my knuckle where i took a chunk out with a pair of adjustable spanners at work, the damp wound tends to evaporate quicker in the wind so feels cold.

If you're determined to be a sissy, try the altura neoprene ones they're good for sub zero but dry and sealskinz technical mtb glove.
  • gloves are for girls, none here, only cold bit is the hole in my knuckle where i took a chunk out with a pair of adjustable spanners at work, the damp wound tends to evaporate quicker in the wind so feels cold.

If you're determined to be a sissy, try the altura neoprene ones they're good for sub zero but dry and sealskinz technical mtb glove.
    Do you take invigorating post ride baths in glacial lakes?
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    What a stupid thing. Some of the people here must live inside the pollution clouds of London because I don’t get it.

On Saturday I went out for an early ride and the temperature was 2C or 3C when we started. Riding without gloves then can only cause problems for you and your hands. It is better to be safe than sorry.

It is like the the eating the hottest curry just to show off – or more likely give yourself a bad time.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    What a stupid thing. Some of the people here must live inside the pollution clouds of London because I don’t get it.

On Saturday I went out for an early ride and the temperature was 2C or 3C when we started. Riding without gloves then can only cause problems for you and your hands. It is better to be safe than sorry.

It is like the the eating the hottest curry just to show off – or more likely give yourself a bad time.

Did you not notice that one of the MTFU'ers had a ticker for his signature saying he'd managed to cycle 316 miles?

Was -3° C on Friday morning up here. Yes, I wore gloves.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I'm afraid I use a pair of summer motorcycle gloves as my winter cycling gloves. They saved my hands the other day when I fell. The leather pads really did the job.

25 quid from my local motorcycle store and fit perfectly
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I have motorcyle gloves for when it's below freezing. Above that my Castelli ones are super.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227

Did you not notice that one of the MTFU'ers had a ticker for his signature saying he'd managed to cycle 316 miles?

And? :?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    biondino wrote:
    I have motorcyle gloves for when it's below freezing. Above that my Castelli ones are super.

when I'm cycling at 7am after a night shift in a hot control room it feels like below freezing on the bike that's for sure.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men