Stem info

Fanis
Fanis Posts: 101
edited December 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi
which is your stem lenght-degree rise of your all mountain/trail bike??

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Are you asking how do you measure it? or do you want to know the size of others peoples'? (oh err!)

the length is measured: centre of headset clamp to centre of bar clamp.

if you want to know other's sizes then that's a bit pointless. there are many factors to think about when sizing a stem. riding type, frame size, geometry, rider size. rider preference etc ...
  • Fanis
    Fanis Posts: 101
    i mean the size of other people.i am going to build a new cube ams 125 frame but i don't know which is the correct lenght and degree rize of the new stem which i will install to my bike
  • I'd suggest a length of between 40 mm and 90 mm but whatever feels right for you is the correct length.

The rise also depends on what bars you use and how they are set up.

I have a 70 mm zero rise stem on my Orange 5 AM which feels right for me.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • Wololo
    Wololo Posts: 36
    I turned my stem around the other way, effectively shortening my bike by 90mm. It's wicked.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I've ended up with 70mm on the Soul, 80mm climbs better but 70 descends better and I know which one I prefer. But every bike, rider, and setup is different so you just kind of have to find something you like. A stem can feel perfect, then you change the bars and it's all off...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I've got 100mm at the moment which seems a bit long so i am going to change to 70mm to see if it imroves control
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • leon69
    leon69 Posts: 53
    70 long by 7* rise seems nice .....depends on you mind all we can say here is what works for us :wink:
    If you dont bleed your not trying ...